[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] VLT 5.034 and dud XPR's

aduncan@rhea.trl.oz (Allan Duncan) (03/15/91)

I tried installing this latest version today (yes, I know there's a
later one, but it hasn't reached me yet) and ran into a few problems.

First, Willy appears to have removed the inbuilt Kermit and Xmodem
(well, if I try to select them, I get a "XPRKermit.library not found"
thingy).

There was a kermit on Fish 330 (v1.5) that made VLT happy, but it
wouldn't start a transfer, and when I aborted it, it logged me out of
the server!
I have vague memories of comment about a bug there though.

Suggestions anyone?  In the meantime I've gone back to faithful old
V4.428

Allan Duncan	ACSnet	a.duncan@trl.oz
(03) 541 6708	ARPA	a.duncan%trl.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
		UUCP	{uunet,hplabs,ukc}!munnari!trl.oz!a.duncan
Telecom Research Labs, PO Box 249, Clayton, Victoria, 3168, Australia.

WGLP09@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (03/19/91)

Correct, VLT now uses XPR XMODEM and Kermit. Since these are written by
others (Marc Boucher and Steve Walton respectively) you'll have to
acquire them from somewhere. I'm sure one of the FTP sites must have
them, or else someone can get them from BIX and put them where others
can get them. It is indeed as simple as putting the .library files in
libs:. There are doc files included that explain how to set your
preferences independent of VLT using environment variables.

A new release of xprkermit is coming up, but I'll leave it to the author
to announce when. It has a few bugs fixed and may work better in some
cases. It certainly is already a lot better than what was built into the
previous version of VLT, even though the that version did work in some
cases where xprkermit 1.5 apparently failed. Believe me, the built-in
version failed in more cases and was unstable too.

Anyway, I'm not sure I remember the questions... 8)

       Willy.
----------
Willy Langeveld - Bitnet: WGLP09 @ SLACVM - BIX: langeveld

swalton@afws.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) (03/20/91)

In article <2820@trlluna.trl.oz>, aduncan@rhea (Allan Duncan) writes:

>There was a kermit on Fish 330 (v1.5) that made VLT happy, but it
>wouldn't start a transfer, and when I aborted it, it logged me out of
>the server!

Not a bug, but a misunderstanding.  What pre-5.nnn versions of VLT
called a Kermit BYE was really a Kermit FINISH (exit server, but leave
me logged in).  The Kermit BYE menu item on VLT now does a real BYE.

I suspect, Allan, that you forgot to tell VLT that you were running a
server on the remote end.  Select the "External Protocol Setup" menu
item from the "Protocol" menu.  Hit the "Kermit Options" button on the
requester you'll get.  On the second requester, click the "Yes" (or
"On", I forget which) button next to "Host Is Server."  When you do
a Receive command next, you should get a string requester asking for
the name of the file you wish to get from the remote host.

BTW, "Kermit Finish" is also an available button on the first XPR
Kermit requester.

Steve
Stephen Walton, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Univ. Northridge
   I am srw@csun.edu no matter WHAT the stupid From: line says!