[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] .Z files

cjs@sppy00.UUCP (SCHALLER CHRIS) (03/19/91)

 I have done alot of downloading with the amiga, but have never
 encountered a compressed file with the .Z at the end.
 what do user to uncompress these files. Is it TAR, Ive heard of
 it but have no idea what it is.

 What ive done is, downloaded the empire-1.33 files off of ABCFD20.larc.blabla.
 there are 10 files, part01.Z - part10.Z and I dont know what to do
 with them.
 Any help wourld be appreciated.

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Schaumann) (03/19/91)

In article <1158@sppy00.UUCP> cjs@sppy00.UUCP (SCHALLER CHRIS) writes:
> I have done alot of downloading with the amiga, but have never
> encountered a compressed file with the .Z at the end.
> what do user to uncompress these files. Is it TAR, Ive heard of
> it but have no idea what it is.

Files ending with .Z were compressed with a utility called "compress".
Usually, you can uncompress by renaming the same executable as "uncompress".
I expect that there are command line options to select the desired behaviour
as well.

Files ending in .tar (I've also seen -tar) were archived by "tar", which is
short for Tape Archiver.  This utility does no compression, it just stores
a directory tree/file data into a single file.

Both programs should be on ab20.

--
Dave Schaumann | dave@cs.arizona.edu | Short .sig's rule!

rolee@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Profess'nal Agitator) (03/19/91)

In article <1158@sppy00.UUCP> cjs@sppy00.UUCP (SCHALLER CHRIS) writes:

> I have done alot of downloading with the amiga, but have never
> encountered a compressed file with the .Z at the end.
> what do user to uncompress these files. Is it TAR, Ive heard of
> it but have no idea what it is.

A .Z file is the Unix compression standard.  You can either uncompress it on
a Unix machine and then d/l it to your Ami or you can ftp an Amiga version
from one of the Fred Fish sites.  You can find the original on Disk #6 and
an update on Disk #51.

Agitator
  #->

 "Caltech -- A Division of      rolee@hmcvax.bitnet              //    BITNET
     Harvey Mudd"               rolee@jarthur.claremont.edu     //   InterNet
 -------------- R E M E M B E R   B E I J I N G ------------\\-//------------
 IBM PC - Who wants a politically correct computer?          \X/  Only AMIGA!
 Roderick Lee         "The Professional Agitator"         Harvey Mudd College

rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) (03/21/91)

In article <1158@sppy00.UUCP> cjs@sppy00.UUCP (SCHALLER CHRIS) writes:

> I have done alot of downloading with the amiga, but have never
> encountered a compressed file with the .Z at the end.
> what do user to uncompress these files. Is it TAR, Ive heard of
> it but have no idea what it is.
>
> What ive done is, downloaded the empire-1.33 files off of ABCFD20.larc.blabla.
> there are 10 files, part01.Z - part10.Z and I dont know what to do
> with them.
> Any help wourld be appreciated.

You need a copy of compress.

Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk@frog.UUCP