[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] HandShake 2.20c DOES work with xprzmodem

thad@btr.btr.com (02/12/91)

Having read "HandShake gurus my machine" the past several days, I really
didn't believe it, so I ftp'd HandShake-2.20c.lzh from ab20.larc.nasa.gov
and tried for myself using the xprzmodem.library "2.0 (28 Oct 1989)" and
it works just fine ... in fact, VERY impressively.

I trust all those having problems DID, in fact, select "Init Ext. Protocol"
from the [TRANSFER] menu and answer the eleventy-seven questions prior to
attempting any zmodem transfers.

You DID read the xpr specs and docs, didn't you?  :-)

With the LIBS:xprzmodem.library as external protocol, I was getting 1850+
chars/sec from a 3B1 into my A1000, and over a T2500 line into BTR.COM just
a moment ago (BTR is a Sun something or other) I was getting 1790+ cps with
the same files as part of the tests (with 5 other users logged on BTR).

From what I can see, Eric AGAIN did a fantastic job, and I have only one
complaint: occasional SMG usage on a VAX/VMS (or playing yahtzee on my UNIX
box) causes character-high one-pixel-wide artifacts to remain on the screen
after some instances of reversed-bolding character attributes.

As before, HandShake 2.20c passes the Per Lindberg VT100 Validation Suite and,
now, with xpr protocol support, it's overall better-than-ever.

Thad Floryan [ thad@btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]

hb136@leah.albany.edu (Herb Brown) (02/12/91)

In article <1718@public.BTR.COM> thad@btr.btr.com writes:

>Having read "HandShake gurus my machine" the past several days, I really
>didn't believe it, so I ftp'd HandShake-2.20c.lzh from ab20.larc.nasa.gov
>and tried for myself using the xprzmodem.library "2.0 (28 Oct 1989)" and
>it works just fine ... in fact, VERY impressively.
>
>From what I can see, Eric AGAIN did a fantastic job
>
>Thad Floryan [ thad@btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]

I must add my DITTOs to Thad's. It worked for me too.

I also would like to add my thanks to Eric (for HandShake), Willy (for VLT),
Jack (for Jrcomm), and Marco (for ATalkIII). You people have given us a
choice. What would telecommunications be like without that choice?!?

                                Herb

WGLP09@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (02/13/91)

       The one-pixel wide little glitches are actually an OS bug. Nothing
Handshake (or anyone else) can do about them. I wonder if that got fixed
for 2.0x... Hmmm.

       Willy.
----------
Willy langeveld - Bitnet: WGLP09 @ SLACVM - BIX: langeveld

In article <1991Feb12.134052.27100@sarah.albany.edu> hb136@leah.albany.edu (Herb Brown) writes:
>I also would like to add my thanks to Eric (for HandShake), Willy (for VLT),
>Jack (for Jrcomm), and Marco (for ATalkIII). You people have given us a
>choice. What would telecommunications be like without that choice?!?

Quite true.  And also consider that the above people have collaborated and
shared code quite freely.  All of the above programs now support XPR, for
example.  Quite an accomplishment in itself.

-- Marco
"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman

mt87692@lehtori.tut.fi (Mikko Tsokkinen) (02/14/91)

 Handshake stuff delted.

> I also would like to add my thanks to Eric (for HandShake), Willy (for VLT),
> Jack (for Jrcomm), and Marco (for ATalkIII). You people have given us a
> choice. What would telecommunications be like without that choice?!?

 I must add that Handshake is quite good even though there is no Z-modem
default, but none of above programs works without some tricks in
scandinavic fonts so I have to use ncomm. IMHO that is not good
programming.

 No flames intended just hoping those programs get better keyboard support.

 MIT

--
Bubble Bobble

In article <MT87692.91Feb13203734@lehtori.tut.fi> mt87692@lehtori.tut.fi (Mikko Tsokkinen) writes:
>> I also would like to add my thanks to Eric (for HandShake), Willy (for VLT),
>> Jack (for Jrcomm), and Marco (for ATalkIII). You people have given us a
>> choice. What would telecommunications be like without that choice?!?
>
> I must add that Handshake is quite good even though there is no Z-modem
>default, but none of above programs works without some tricks in
>scandinavic fonts so I have to use ncomm. IMHO that is not good
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>programming.
>
> No flames intended just hoping those programs get better keyboard support.

As far as A-Talk III is concerned, I care to disagree.  We went to a lot
of effort to add European keyboard support, especially with the help of our
contact over there, Bjorn Knuttson.  On the release disk we even provide a
special scandinavian keymap, provided to us by Bjorn, plus CLI and ARexx
macros to install/deinstall such keymaps.  I don't know of the support
provided by the other programs, though.

lhotka@incstar.uucp (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb12.134052.27100@sarah.albany.edu>, hb136@leah.albany.edu (Herb Brown) writes:
> In article <1718@public.BTR.COM> thad@btr.btr.com writes:
>>
>>Having read "HandShake gurus my machine" the past several days, I really
>>didn't believe it, so I ftp'd HandShake-2.20c.lzh from ab20.larc.nasa.gov
>>and tried for myself using the xprzmodem.library "2.0 (28 Oct 1989)" and
>>it works just fine ... in fact, VERY impressively.
>>
> I must add my DITTOs to Thad's. It worked for me too.
>
> I also would like to add my thanks to Eric (for HandShake), Willy (for VLT),
> Jack (for Jrcomm), and Marco (for ATalkIII). You people have given us a
> choice. What would telecommunications be like without that choice?!?

More praise - rather than duplicate what has been said I'll just agree
wholeheartedly!

However, Handshake 2.20c does tend to be a bit flaky with the xpr
calling...  I find that about 80% of my transfers work great and then I
guru.  I have been trying to figure out exactly what I am doing different
in the cases where it crashes, but there does not appear to be a pattern...
/ Rockford Lhotka				INCSTAR Corp	       \
| Applications Project Leader			1990 Industrial Blvd   |
| incstar!lhotka@uunet.uu.net         		PO Box 285             |
\ 612/779-1701					Stillwater, MN 55082   /
 -------------Amiga - The computer for the creative mind.--------------

WGLP09@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (02/15/91)

     Instead of just hoping that "those programs get better keyboard
support" why not tell us what doesn't work? VLT, for example, supports
complete dead-keying. What else is there? Of course, you may have a
*different* problem, like leaving VLT's strip 8th bit option on. Or
maybe you just didn't try later versions.

     Willy.

jprad@faatcrl.UUCP (Jack Radigan) (02/15/91)

mt87692@lehtori.tut.fi (Mikko Tsokkinen) writes:

> I must add that Handshake is quite good even though there is no Z-modem
>default, but none of above programs works without some tricks in
>scandinavic fonts so I have to use ncomm. IMHO that is not good
>programming.

> No flames intended just hoping those programs get better keyboard support.

  Have you tried the 1.01 release of JR-Comm?  It added full support for
dead and double-dead keys, so you should have no holes in your keymap
support with it.

  -jack-

thad@btr.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) (02/15/91)

In article <2598.27ba56d7@incstar.uucp> lhotka@incstar.uucp writes:
>However, Handshake 2.20c does tend to be a bit flaky with the xpr
>calling...  I find that about 80% of my transfers work great and then I
>guru.  I have been trying to figure out exactly what I am doing different
>in the cases where it crashes, but there does not appear to be a pattern...

As part of my testing HandShake 2.20c, I've transferred over 2,000 files both
ways during the past several days, over direct connections and over modems, in
multiple sessions (i.e. restarted HandShake from scratch each day).

I'm assuming you DID read the xprzmodem docs, and have a "xprzmodem" file
with the correct params in your ENV: directory, you've INIT'd the external
protocol, etc etc

Having done all the above, it works fine for me.

I do dispute Willy's assertion the one-pixel-wide artifacts are an OS bug
since they do NOT occur using the Meshugena program.  Without source I can
only conjecture, but my guess as to the nature of the problem is that the
character cell size used to "clear" an inverse-bolded character is one pixel
"off" from the cell-size that originally placed the char on the screen.

My only other "gripe" about HandShake 2.20c is that it doesn't handle xpr
directory paths as nicely for zmodem as does the "old" AZcomm program with
which I can start a transfer and have it transfer (and create) subdirectories
offset from a specified "root-point" at the receiving end; with HandShake 2.20
you EITHER ignore directory paths on receipt OR you must accept the sender's
directory paths.  Not very nice, so for zmodem transfers I'm still using
AZcomm.

As far as "development requests" for HandShake, my needs are modest and
comprise only:

1) 38400 baud (as does AZcomm), and

2) paced ASCII transfers (with specifiable char and line delays) along the
   lines of A-Talk (this pacing is needed to input chars into some brain-
   damaged BBS systems which assume human typing speed).

Thad Floryan [ thad@btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]

ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) (02/15/91)

I communicate with a Prime 9955 II that is set to 7 bits, mark parity,
one stop. When I try to kermit download from the Prime with Handshake 2.12a,
I get an inverse video "J" for the filename displayed in the transfer
window and my Amiga locks up. I've had no problems using VT100 2.6 to
do kermit transfers with this setup.

I *hate* to reboot. Has this been fixed with Handshake 2.20? Am I the
only person in the world who has to kermit with a Prime? :-)

--
ben@epmooch.UUCP            ben%servalan.UUCP@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu
{chinet,uokmax}!servalan!epmooch!ben  (Ben Mesander)   War in gulf:

WGLP09@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (02/16/91)

Thad -
        The one who pointed out the one-pixel glitches to me originally
(over a year ago) was Andy Finkel. He also told me that it was an OS
bug. You are correct about the cause. SetSofStyle makes bold characters
on occasion (maybe it was only the space) one pixel wider than the font's
specified width. This, my dear, is a bug. Short of remembering exactly
what is on the screen (including attributes) there is no way to fix it,
although maybe Meshugena is meshugena enough (8) to do exactly that.

        Willy.
----------
Willy langeveld - Bitnet: WGLP09 @ SLACVM - BIX: langeveld

jprad@faatcrl.UUCP (Jack Radigan) (02/18/91)

WGLP09@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU writes:

>        The one who pointed out the one-pixel glitches to me originally
>(over a year ago) was Andy Finkel. He also told me that it was an OS
>bug. You are correct about the cause. SetSofStyle makes bold characters
>on occasion (maybe it was only the space) one pixel wider than the font's
>specified width. This, my dear, is a bug. Short of remembering exactly
>what is on the screen (including attributes) there is no way to fix it,
>although maybe Meshugena is meshugena enough (8) to do exactly that.

  So *that's* what that is, huh!  Well, one less problem I've got to worry
about that was driving me nuts with my optimized scroll routines...

  -jack-

sbmueller@rose.uwaterloo.ca (stephan();) (03/06/91)

In article <1718@public.BTR.COM> thad@btr.btr.com writes:

>Having read "HandShake gurus my machine" the past several days, I really
>didn't believe it, so I ftp'd HandShake-2.20c.lzh from ab20.larc.nasa.gov
>and tried for myself using the xprzmodem.library "2.0 (28 Oct 1989)" and
>it works just fine ... in fact, VERY impressively.

Sometimes.  When it works, it works extremely well!  When it doesn't,
the lockup is immediate, and the guru persistent.

Handshake 2.20c locks up for me at two specific times:
- when attempting to dial (using the dialer menu, not by manually
typing ATDT etc.)
- when attempting to download (this has happened with external
protocols as well as the builtin Kermit text, for instance)

The lockup happens as soon as the appropriate window appears and
text is spewed to it.  If I get the first 256 bytes of a download,
it will finish.  If dialing starts it will finish.

Whether or not it works is independent of anything I've noticed.
Some days it does, some days it doesn't.

I'm running Handshake 2.20c, on an A1000, with 2.5Megs, Comspec
HD controller, KS/WB1.3.2, ARP, Conman/WShell/ARexx, and other things
too numerous to mention but whose removal has no effect on the problem.

I'm curious: do those of you who've had no problem by chance all own
A3000s?  Eric Haberfellner does, and a friend who also has had no
problems does...

(-: Hmm.  Maybe, Eric sends the fully functional version only to those
who register (so where's my copy Eric? :-)

>I trust all those having problems DID, in fact, select "Init Ext. Protocol"
>from the [TRANSFER] menu and answer the eleventy-seven questions prior to
>attempting any zmodem transfers.

Definitely.

>You DID read the xpr specs and docs, didn't you?  :-)

A while ago.  I didn't act much on them though :-)  In particular,
I do not have any xpr[zmodem] env: variables set.

>Thad Floryan [ thad@btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]

stephan("A cop is a walking zoo, with a gun");

skank@iastate.edu (Skank George L) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar5.192516.19358@watdragon.waterloo.edu> sbmueller@rose.uwaterloo.ca (stephan();) writes:
>In article <1718@public.BTR.COM> thad@btr.btr.com writes:
>
>>Having read "HandShake gurus my machine" the past several days, I really
>>didn't believe it, so I ftp'd HandShake-2.20c.lzh from ab20.larc.nasa.gov
>>and tried for myself using the xprzmodem.library "2.0 (28 Oct 1989)" and
>>it works just fine ... in fact, VERY impressively.
>
>Sometimes.  When it works, it works extremely well!  When it doesn't,
>the lockup is immediate, and the guru persistent.
>
>Handshake 2.20c locks up for me at two specific times:
>- when attempting to dial (using the dialer menu, not by manually
>typing ATDT etc.)
>- when attempting to download (this has happened with external
>protocols as well as the builtin Kermit text, for instance)

     The *ONLY* times I've had Handshake 2.20c lock up or guru on me are when
I attempted to run it with a faulty Arexx script (i.e. one with bugs in it),
or, when I accidentially start two copies of handshake running (I assume this
works if you have more than one modem).

>I'm running Handshake 2.20c, on an A1000, with 2.5Megs, Comspec
>HD controller, KS/WB1.3.2, ARP, Conman/WShell/ARexx, and other things
>too numerous to mention but whose removal has no effect on the problem.
>
>I'm curious: do those of you who've had no problem by chance all own
>A3000s?  Eric Haberfellner does, and a friend who also has had no
>problems does...

     I own a 3000 (I don't use ARP either).

>(-: Hmm.  Maybe, Eric sends the fully functional version only to those
>who register (so where's my copy Eric? :-)

     I downloaded my copy from ab20.larc.nasa.gov and sent in the money.

ISCOVE@utoroci.bitnet (03/08/91)

"stephan(" <sbmueller@rose.uwaterloo.ca>, ")"@ee.udel.edu writes:

>>...HandShake 2.20c...using the xprzmodem.library "2.0 (28 Oct 1989)" and
>>it works just fine ... in fact, VERY impressively.

>Sometimes.  When it works, it works extremely well!  When it doesn't,
>the lockup is immediate, and the guru persistent.

>Handshake 2.20c locks up for me at two specific times:
>- when attempting to dial (using the dialer menu, not by manually
>typing ATDT etc.)

Ditto.  The random guru comes up indicating an address error 00000003.

>- when attempting to download (this has happened with external
>protocols as well as the builtin Kermit text, for instance)

>The lockup happens as soon as the appropriate window appears and
>text is spewed to it.  If I get the first 256 bytes of a download,
>it will finish.  If dialing starts it will finish.

>Whether or not it works is independent of anything I've noticed.
>Some days it does, some days it doesn't.

Ditto.
Morover, I am seeing a difference between xprzmodem.library 2.0 and 2.1.
2.0, which works 9/10 times, works fine.  2.1, however, proceeds with
*very* frequent errors and retries, significantly slowing down the
throughput rate.

I'm running Handshake 2.20c, on a B2000, with 3 Megs, 2 floppies, KS 34.5,
WB 34.28 (1.3.2), nothing else fancy.  The ENV: variables are in place.

Norman Iscove   iscove@utoroci.bitnet

LDSHANER@MTUS5.BITNET (Leon D. Shaner) (03/09/91)

>     The *ONLY* times I've had Handshake 2.20c lock up or guru on me are when
>I attempted to run it with a faulty Arexx script (i.e. one with bugs in it),
>or, when I accidentially start two copies of handshake running (I assume this
>works if you have more than one modem).

Well, I have more than one modem and no matter what I do, if I am running
2.20c on a non-serial.device port, Amiga-H (or just quitting the program)
drops carrier on the port I'm actually using *AND* serial.device unit 0...

Not cool in my book...  If I'm connected to someplace and someone else is
on the BBS port that uses serial.device unit zero, I can't quit without
dumping the user...

--Leon

thad@btr.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) (03/11/91)

In article <1991Mar5.192516.19358@watdragon.waterloo.edu> sbmueller@rose.uwaterloo.ca (stephan();) writes:
>Handshake 2.20c locks up for me at two specific times:
>[...]
>- when attempting to download (this has happened with external
>protocols as well as the builtin Kermit text, for instance)
>
>The lockup happens as soon as the appropriate window appears and
>text is spewed to it.  If I get the first 256 bytes of a download,
>it will finish.  If dialing starts it will finish.
>[...]
>I'm curious: do those of you who've had no problem by chance all own
>A3000s? [...]

Mine is an A1000 with a Ronin 68020; the office Amigas are stock A1000s.

But I do concur NOW with Stephan that HandShake 2.20c has some nasty bugs
which occur precisely as he describes them (above).  I "played" with that
version of HandShake for a bit more than a week and can no longer tolerate
the incessant gurus.

A simple way to stop the problem is:

	CLI> cd comm:
	CLI> delete hand#?

That last line works fine for me; no more Lunches with the Guru!  :-)

Thad Floryan [ thad@btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]

eric@haberfel.uucp (Eric Haberfellner) (03/15/91)

Hi,

Sorry, I missed the beginning of this thread. Could someone please give me
a quick summary of the HandShake problem under discussion.

I am the author and would like to kiil any bugs in the new release as
soon as possible.

Eric :{)

ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) (03/16/91)

>In article <101@haberfel.uucp> eric@haberfel.uucp (Eric Haberfellner) writes:
>Hi,
>
>Sorry, I missed the beginning of this thread. Could someone please give me
>a quick summary of the HandShake problem under discussion.
>
>I am the author and would like to kiil any bugs in the new release as
>soon as possible.

Eric,

  This is not a xprzmodem problem, but I have a problem with Handshake
2.12a's kermit support. I tried to use it to talk with a Prime
minicomputer over a 7-bit mark parity link. I select 7-bit kermit as my
file transfer type, and attempt a kermit transfer. The transfer window
opens up and says:

Cannot create file [inverse video J]

and Handshake locks up, requiring a reboot. Also, how do I do a kermit
'get' command instead of a 'recieve' command? Normally, I like to use
kermit server mode on the minicomputer. I've tried fiddling with all of
Handshake's config options, to no avail.

I haven't tried Handshake 2.20 yet because of the problems others have
been having with it.

--
| ben@epmooch.UUCP   (Ben Mesander)       | "Cash is more important than |
| ben%servalan.UUCP@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu |  your mother." - Al Shugart, |

Dickson@system-m.phx.bull.com (Paul Dickson) (03/18/91)

A list of some of the problems with Handshake 2.20c:

  * Does not load screen colors from the parms file.  One must reload
    them after Handshake has started to get the colors to load.  I have
    white and black reversed by this method rather than using the
    reversed video option.  I've even had a GURU while reloading the
    parms file on occasion.

  * The handling of the XPR libraries is buggy.  XPRKERMIT 1.5:
    Handshake won't allow me to set the options and then will send
    garbage to the remote end but not respond to any local input.  I
    need xprkermit because I need large packets.

peter@dbaccess.com (Peter A. Castro) (03/19/91)

in article <101@haberfel.uucp>, eric@haberfel.uucp (Eric Haberfellner) says:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry, I missed the beginning of this thread. Could someone please give me
> a quick summary of the HandShake problem under discussion.
>
> I am the author and would like to kiil any bugs in the new release as
> soon as possible.
>
> Eric :{)

  If you have read the previous posts concerning XPR and the Zmodem library
  (zprzmodem.library, v2.10).  Then you already know that typically when
  invoking the "receive" option, the zmodem window appears, and the machine
  Gurus, with a 00000003 code.  I have found that when I run through the
  "Init Ext. Params" option first, say when I just started up, it works
  without trouble.  Here are some data points about the environment:

     Handshake V2.20c
     xprzmodem.library V2.10
     Kickstart (v1.3) 34.5, Workbench (v1.3) 34.28
     ARexx V1.10
     Stock A1000 w/2MB Ram (1.5Mb Ext)
     Modem used is a Telebit T2500 (at speeds up to 19.2K)

  I don't know if this is due to Handshake *or* the XPRZmodem library.
  I have not experimented with the other two XPR libraries (kermit & xmodem).

  I have one question concerning XPR and saving parameters: is it possible to
  save more than one XPR parameter?

  I've liked using Handshake, because it is an excellent VT100/220 emulator
  and has many handy features.  The new ARexx port makes it even more handy.
  The one detraction I find is the large executable size.

Pete.
--
Peter A. Castro                   INTERNET: peter@dbaccess.com        // //|
c/o DB Access Inc.                UUCP: {uunet,mips}!troi!peter      // //||

skank@iastate.edu (Skank George L) (03/20/91)

In article <339@tardis.dbaccess.com> peter@dbaccess.com (Peter A. Castro) writes:
>in article <101@haberfel.uucp>, eric@haberfel.uucp (Eric Haberfellner) says:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Sorry, I missed the beginning of this thread. Could someone please give me
>> a quick summary of the HandShake problem under discussion.
>>
>> I am the author and would like to kiil any bugs in the new release as
>> soon as possible.
>>
>> Eric :{)
>
>  If you have read the previous posts concerning XPR and the Zmodem library
>  (zprzmodem.library, v2.10).  Then you already know that typically when
>  invoking the "receive" option, the zmodem window appears, and the machine
>  Gurus, with a 00000003 code.  I have found that when I run through the
>  "Init Ext. Params" option first, say when I just started up, it works
>  without trouble.  Here are some data points about the environment:
>
>     Handshake V2.20c
>     xprzmodem.library V2.10
>     Kickstart (v1.3) 34.5, Workbench (v1.3) 34.28
>     ARexx V1.10
>     Stock A1000 w/2MB Ram (1.5Mb Ext)
>     Modem used is a Telebit T2500 (at speeds up to 19.2K)

Eric,
     I'd like to throw in my 2 cents here also.  I've been using Handshake
2.20c on my A3000 and it seems to work flawlessly.  My environment is:

      Handshake V2.20c
      xprzmodem.library V2.10
      Kickstart 2.02
      ARexx (included with A3000)
      Stock A3000
      Modem used is an Applied Engineering 2400 baud modem.

Maybe that will help you debug the problem.
				--George

LDSHANER@MTUS5.BITNET (Leon D. Shaner) (03/22/91)

From what I gather, 2.20c works just fine on A3000's, but has varied
problems with older machines...   So, is it the hardware, or is it the OS???

I hear they changed the serial.device in 2.0.x  Is that the problem???

--Leon
| Leon D. Shaner - EE Undergrad   / Amiga Bitswap Central Dispatch  /
| <LDSHANER@MTUS5.BITNET>        / (906)482-8248  - DLG PRO! BETA  /
| <abcd!leon@balance.cs.mtu.edu>/ FREE! :24 HOURS :80 MB :2 LINES!/

timg@cbmtor.uucp (Tim Grantham) (03/27/91)

I also had trouble with xprzmodem and Handshake but only when downloading from
a BBS-PC bulletin board. I tried adjusting the block size, to no avail.

Tim.