[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] Fwd: FTP contents site archive and retrieval tool

Michael.Witbrock@cs.cmu.edu (03/28/91)

Date: 17 Mar 91 12:53:00 EDT
From: "DARREN STALDER" <dstalder@gmuvax.gmu.edu>
Subject: archie stuff

 Given the number of hosts being used as archive sites nowadays, there can
 be great difficulty in finding needed software in a distributed
 environment. You may know that the software that you need is out there, but
 it can sometimes be difficult to find.  The School of Computer Science at
 McGill University has one solution to the problem - "archie".

 Archie is a pair of software tools: the first maintains a list of about
 600 Internet ftp archive sites.  Each night software executes an
 anonymous ftp to a subset of these sites and fetches a recursive
 directory listing of each, which it stores in a database.  We hit about
 1/30th of the list each time, so each site gets updated about once a
 month, hopefully balancing timely updates against unnecessary network
 load.  The "raw" listings are stored in compressed form on
 quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (132.206.2.3), where they are made available via
 anonymous ftp in the directory ~ftp/archie/listings.

 The second tool is the interesting one as far as the users are concerned.
 It consists of a program running on a dummy user code that allows
 outsiders to log onto the archive server host to query the database.
 This is in fact the program we call Archie.

 Users can ask archie to search for specific name strings.  For example,
 "prog kcl" would find all occurences of the string "kcl" and tell you which
 hosts have entries with this string, the size of the program, its last
 modification date and where it can be found on the host along with some
 other useful information. In this example, you could thus find those
 archive sites that are storing Kyoto Common Lisp. With one central database
 for all the archive sites we know about, archie greatly speeds the task of
 finding a specific program on the net.

 Complete anonymous ftp listings of the various sites that we keep in the
 database may be obtained via the 'site' command and for a list of the
 sites which we keep track of, see the 'list' command.

 Archie also maintains a 'Software Description Database' which consists
 of the names and descriptions of various software packages, documents
 and datasets that are kept on anonymous ftp archive sites all around the
 Internet. The 'whatis' command allows you to search this database.

 Send comments, bug reports etc to

                        archie-l@cs.mcgill.ca

 If you have a favourite anonymous ftp site that archie doesn't seem to
 maintain, or if you have additions or corrections to the Software
 Description database, send mail to

                        archie-admin@cs.mcgill.ca

 Archie was written and is maintained by Alan Emtage (bajan@cs.mcgill.ca)
 and Bill Heelan (wheelan@cs.mcgill.ca). Peter Deutsch