[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] Downloading from FTP Sites

nguyent@balboa.eng.uci.edu (Thien Nguyen) (04/07/91)

How do I download files from Amiga FTP sites?  What do I need to
do?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (04/09/91)

In article <27FECEE6.14444@orion.oac.uci.edu> nguyent@balboa.eng.uci.edu (Thien Nguyen) writes:
>How do I download files from Amiga FTP sites?  What do I need to
>do?  Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance.

  FTP sites are really easy to use. Simply type the command:

FTP 128.155.23.64
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ call number for the ftp site
or try:
FTP abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov

If you want, you can type 'ftp' to enter the ftp program, then
open 128.155.23.64

  Once on board, it will ask for your username. Type 'anonymous'.
Then for the password, give your user ID, or just type 'guest'.
Then you will be on the host system. Type ls to list the directory.
Type 'binary' if you plan to download a binary file, or 'ascii'
to download an ascii file. If the filetype is set wrong you will
get garbage.

  To get a file, type 'get filename'. That's all there is to it.
Make sure that you run the ftp program from a directory you have
access to, or it will not download. Type bye or close to quit. You
can cd directories too if you want, and even get a help file.
Always look for an amiga dir first; otherwise try incoming or
pub. It may also be under something else.

Good luck!

--
David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN
  -- Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)