[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] Fido compatable PD/Shareware BBS Progs???

x91scott@techno.nepean.uws.EDU.AU (Scott Golby) (04/04/91)

   Hi All,
	  I was wondering if there was anyone who could tell me if
there are any PD/SW BBS programs that are Fido Compatable?  ie letting
you send and recieve fido net mail?
    I know the comercial programs now do, but what about the PD/SW ones.
    Another thing I am after is info, reviews (your personal ones
especially) and tips on Amiga PD / SW BBS programs.  Which is best?
Info on programs such as TAG, Metro and any others much appreciated!
    Information from Sysops currently running these systems most valued!

    Where fido compatablity is not available, are there any options
regarding pointing to a BBS and (some how?) cross posting them to a
/your BBS running a non fido node?   Sound like one way to do it?!?
But as of now I'm not sure how!   Has anyone done this?  Idea's from
Fido points would be helpful.

    Thanks, and hear from you soon!

    Scott Golby
    Computer Science
    University of Western Sydney, Nepean - Kingswood
    Australia.

gblock@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Gregory R Block) (04/05/91)

From article <x91scott.670779598@techno>, by x91scott@techno.nepean.uws.EDU.AU (Scott Golby):

>    Hi All,
> 	  I was wondering if there was anyone who could tell me if
> there are any PD/SW BBS programs that are Fido Compatable?  ie letting
> you send and recieve fido net mail?
Well, I run a point.  I use GCCHost 3.5b, an extremely 2.0 compatible
(as it requires Arexx to run) program which is a combined editor/4d
tosser/packer.  It also handles Netmail routing and stuff that
previously needed OMMM and BarfMail (ConfMail for those who use
it...).  Anyways, I've never had a problem, except for my boss going
down.  And when you register GCCHost, it will work in a full-node
environment.  I think it's like 20 bucks.

For a bbs, there's no replacing either StarNet, which many don't trust
because of its past record as Paragon, DLG (DiaLoG Professional) which
is modular, and is supposed to be the next best thing since sliced
bread, and of course the new XenoLink, kind of like ParaGone, but much
better, supporting transfers and many other options from a shared library.
--
- gblock@csd4.csd.uwm.edu -	|  IBM's brain is on overload, and Apple
	Gregory Block		|  needs to be potty-trained.  C= may not

umturne4@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Daryl Turner) (04/05/91)

>For a bbs, there's no replacing either StarNet, which many don't trust
>because of its past record as Paragon, DLG (DiaLoG Professional) which
>is modular, and is supposed to be the next best thing since sliced
>bread, and of course the new XenoLink, kind of like ParaGone, but much
>better, supporting transfers and many other options from a shared library.

Tsk, tsk, Greg.  How could you forget the original Shareware Fido
compatible BBS, namely TransAmiga?  The author, Tim Aston, seems to
be quite dedicated in getting everything up to speed.  The downfall
to this program is that you need a separate frontend like TrapDoor
or Welmat to handle Fido sessions.

    Daryl Turner (1:348/704) <- Node number for a simple point!

Daryl Turner
Internet: umturne4@ccu.umanitoba.ca
Urrrrrggghhhh!,    What a RRRRRUSH! -Road Warrior Hawk, The Legion of Doom

gblock@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Gregory R Block) (04/06/91)

From article <1991Apr4.232318.6277@ccu.umanitoba.ca>, by umturne4@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Daryl Turner):

> Tsk, tsk, Greg.  How could you forget the original Shareware Fido
> compatible BBS, namely TransAmiga?  The author, Tim Aston, seems to
> be quite dedicated in getting everything up to speed.  The downfall
> to this program is that you need a separate frontend like TrapDoor
> or Welmat to handle Fido sessions.

I could really kick myself.  REALLY kick myself.  Argh.  Because when
I first looked at the original message, TransAmiga was the only one to
come to mind, as it's the first shareware Fido bbs to pop into
ANYONE's mind.  I apologize to Tim... :)  TransAmiga is supposed to be
one of the best BBSes out, and with XPRGate, allows for unlimited
protocol support.  Sorry for my brain damage... :)
--

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (04/09/91)

In article <x91scott.670779598@techno> x91scott@techno.nepean.uws.EDU.AU (Scott Golby) writes:

>   Hi All,
>	  I was wondering if there was anyone who could tell me if
>there are any PD/SW BBS programs that are Fido Compatable?  ie letting
>you send and recieve fido net mail?
>    I know the comercial programs now do, but what about the PD/SW ones.
>    Another thing I am after is info, reviews (your personal ones
>especially) and tips on Amiga PD / SW BBS programs.  Which is best?
>Info on programs such as TAG, Metro and any others much appreciated!
>    Information from Sysops currently running these systems most valued!
>
>    Where fido compatablity is not available, are there any options
>regarding pointing to a BBS and (some how?) cross posting them to a
>/your BBS running a non fido node?   Sound like one way to do it?!?
>But as of now I'm not sure how!   Has anyone done this?  Idea's from
>Fido points would be helpful.
>
>    Thanks, and hear from you soon!
>
>    Scott Golby
>    Computer Science
>    University of Western Sydney, Nepean - Kingswood
>    Australia.

  TransAmiga BBS

--
David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN
  -- Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)

In article <1991Apr4.232318.6277@ccu.umanitoba.ca> umturne4@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Daryl Turner) writes:

>>For a bbs, there's no replacing either StarNet, which many don't trust
>>because of its past record as Paragon, DLG (DiaLoG Professional) which
>>is modular, and is supposed to be the next best thing since sliced
>>bread, and of course the new XenoLink, kind of like ParaGone, but much
>>better, supporting transfers and many other options from a shared library.
>
>Tsk, tsk, Greg.  How could you forget the original Shareware Fido
>compatible BBS, namely TransAmiga?  The author, Tim Aston, seems to
>be quite dedicated in getting everything up to speed.  The downfall
>to this program is that you need a separate frontend like TrapDoor
>or Welmat to handle Fido sessions.

  Try calling Chris's Amiga BBS (uses TransAmiga), in Rochester NY.
He has a FIDO node, plus he knows the author of TransAmiga BBS.
I just saw Chris on Friday when he came by for the World of Amiga show,
and I know that his BBS is still running.

umturne4@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Daryl Turner) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr8.172937.20908@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:

>  Try calling Chris's Amiga BBS (uses TransAmiga), in Rochester NY.
>He has a FIDO node, plus he knows the author of TransAmiga BBS.
>I just saw Chris on Friday when he came by for the World of Amiga show,
>and I know that his BBS is still running.

I've never called Chris's board, but have talked with him on Fido.
Both him and Tim Aston (author of TransAmiga) seem to be doing a
good job of bringing a decent shareware BBS with all the goodies
into the Amiga community.

(Lest this turn into an incessant flame war like it can on Fido,
I am not knocking StarNet/Paragon (which I like as a user, and as
a bossnode), DLG (which I have never seen) or any other program.

Daryl Turner
Internet: umturne4@ccu.umanitoba.ca
Urrrrrggghhhh!,    What a RRRRRUSH! -Road Warrior Hawk, The Legion of Doom

tinny@madnix.UUCP (Philip Varner) (04/10/91)

	Try TRANSAmiga BBS software! I have used TAG and Metro before and this is FAR more powerfull! Its FIDO compatable, runs Paragon doors, and its own. Has FULL ARexx support! Customizable menus,Uses XPR-Gate for virtually UNLIMITED protocals for file