[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] Upload probs

n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) (04/13/91)

I am using JRComm and a USR 14.4HST v.42 on my 3000. Downloading is fine
but uploading creates a problem.  It goes real slow as the ARQ light buzzes
off and on. Occasionaly it will have to reestablish position every 10 blocks.
(This is all on Zmodem). Any ideas?? Are my prefs/term/modem set wrong?
USR says that my modem is perfectly working....

Duane

| Duane Fields              |     Friends don't     |  President, aTmiga club |
| Box 1315                  |    let friends use    |  Fone#   (409) 847-6760 |
| College Station, Tx 77841 |        MS-DOS.        |  n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu |

ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) (04/13/91)

>In article <1223@faatcrl.UUCP> jprad@faatcrl.UUCP (Jack Radigan) writes:
[...]
>flow control going, is the send LED in synch with the CS LED?  If not, you've
>got flow control problems.  But, from what I've seen, if the ARQ LED is
>flashing, it indicates that the two modems are having connection problems,
>usually noise.  Some people are unlucky enough to have one half of their
>phone circuit give them trouble with a high speed modem.
[...]
>  Now, if this test does prove that it is phone circuit oriented you're
>going to have to deal with the local TelCo.  I can tell you right now that
>they are going to almost certainly blow you off, completely.

Gee, Jack, when I called my local telco to tell them that I had excessive
noise on the line that my modem is on, they were very helpful, and fixed
it inside a day.

--
| ben@epmooch.UUCP   (Ben Mesander)       | "Cash is more important than |
| ben%servalan.UUCP@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu |  your mother." - Al Shugart, |

jprad@faatcrl.UUCP (Jack Radigan) (04/14/91)

n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) writes:

>I am using JRComm and a USR 14.4HST v.42 on my 3000. Downloading is fine
>but uploading creates a problem.  It goes real slow as the ARQ light buzzes
>off and on. Occasionaly it will have to reestablish position every 10 blocks.
>(This is all on Zmodem). Any ideas?? Are my prefs/term/modem set wrong?
>USR says that my modem is perfectly working....

  Well, you may want to make certain that you've got a functional CTS/RTS
flow control going, is the send LED in synch with the CS LED?  If not, you've
got flow control problems.  But, from what I've seen, if the ARQ LED is
flashing, it indicates that the two modems are having connection problems,
usually noise.  Some people are unlucky enough to have one half of their
phone circuit give them trouble with a high speed modem.

  A simple test is to swap the red and green wires inside the phone jack
and see if this reverses the problem for you.  If you're using the second
half of a two line circuit it would be the yellow and black wires.  Be
sure to restore them to the original configuration afterwards.

  Now, if this test does prove that it is phone circuit oriented you're
going to have to deal with the local TelCo.  I can tell you right now that
they are going to almost certainly blow you off, completely.

  The magic incantation to apply in this case is a call to 611 (service),
ask for duty manager and, this is important, tell that person in no
uncertain terms that you intend to file a complaint with the Public Utility
Commision for your state.  I can almost certainly guarantee a swift an
immediate response to this.  Be firm, it *will* work.

  Please post a follow up, thanks.

  -jack-

jprad@faatcrl.UUCP (Jack Radigan) (04/15/91)

ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) writes:

>Gee, Jack, when I called my local telco to tell them that I had excessive
>noise on the line that my modem is on, they were very helpful, and fixed
>it inside a day.

  A truely enlightened telco you have there.  At least from the presepective
of a NY & NJ Bell user.

  Although, I've got to admit that they not tried to charge us modem users
yet, unlike a few attempts that have been tried (and some succeeded) in the
midwest.

  -jack-