[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] ASDG Dual Serial Board

kevind@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Kevin Dackiw) (04/11/91)

My thoroughput via the DSB seems to be somewhat slower than through the
Amiga serial port, though I almost never now get an error when I use
the modem (14.4k, v.42 HST)...why is this?  Bus contention?

Also, the DSB seems to be a system hog!  Is this a hardware fault, or a
device driver/handler fault?  Is there a public upgrade for the software
that comes with the DSB?

Questions....

Kevin...

Kevin Dackiw             ersys!kevind@nro.cs.athabascau.ca
Edmonton Remote Systems:  Serving Northern Alberta since 1982

greg@travis.cica.indiana.edu (Gregory TRAVIS) (04/12/91)

ersys!kevind@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Kevin Dackiw) writes:

>My thoroughput via the DSB seems to be somewhat slower than through the
>Amiga serial port, though I almost never now get an error when I use
>the modem (14.4k, v.42 HST)...why is this?  Bus contention?
>
>Also, the DSB seems to be a system hog!  Is this a hardware fault, or a
>device driver/handler fault?  Is there a public upgrade for the software
>that comes with the DSB?

Agreed 100%  I posted an article a long time ago, well a couple of
months ago, addressing this question.  My DSB, even with the latest
drivers, seems to have about two times the overhead per port that the
built-in Amiga serial port has.

I don't have the times handy, but I recall that it took about 30 seconds
to load ProPage 1.3 while a ZModem transfer (inbound to the Amiga) at 9600
baud was going on.  With the same setup going through the Amiga's native
port ProPage loaded in about 15 seconds.  And the ASDG port managed to
rack up several transfer errors while the Amiga port reported none.

Of course I flushed all system buffers before I began either test.  Actually,
I rebooted the system in each case just before starting up VLT and
the download.  So these were well controlled experiments.

Outbound I could not find any performance differences between the ASDG board
and the Amiga's native port.

Anyone know why?  ASDG has always made nice stuff in the past...

--
Gregory R. Travis                Indiana University, Bloomington IN 47405
greg@cica.indiana.edu  		 Center for Innovative Computer Applications

kevind@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Kevin Dackiw) (04/14/91)

greg@travis.cica.indiana.edu (Gregory TRAVIS) writes:

> ersys!kevind@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Kevin Dackiw) writes:
>
> >My thoroughput via the DSB seems to be somewhat slower than through the
> >Amiga serial port, though I almost never now get an error when I use
> >the modem (14.4k, v.42 HST)...why is this?  Bus contention?
> >
> >Also, the DSB seems to be a system hog!  Is this a hardware fault, or a
> >device driver/handler fault?  Is there a public upgrade for the software
> >that comes with the DSB?
> >

> Agreed 100%  I posted an article a long time ago, well a couple of
> months ago, addressing this question.  My DSB, even with the latest
> drivers, seems to have about two times the overhead per port that the
> built-in Amiga serial port has.
>
> I don't have the times handy, but I recall that it took about 30 seconds
> to load ProPage 1.3 while a ZModem transfer (inbound to the Amiga) at 9600
> baud was going on.  With the same setup going through the Amiga's native
> port ProPage loaded in about 15 seconds.  And the ASDG port managed to
> rack up several transfer errors while the Amiga port reported none.
>
> Of course I flushed all system buffers before I began either test.  Actually,
> I rebooted the system in each case just before starting up VLT and
> the download.  So these were well controlled experiments.
>
> Outbound I could not find any performance differences between the ASDG board
> and the Amiga's native port.
>
> Anyone know why?  ASDG has always made nice stuff in the past...
>

> --
> Gregory R. Travis                Indiana University, Bloomington IN 47405
> greg@cica.indiana.edu  		 Center for Innovative Computer Applications
> This signature intentionally left blank.

Greg, I've been told that ASDG has made new drivers for the board; any
problems with speed *theoretically* disappear, according to what I have
heard...I'll definately check into this avenue by contacting ASDG
directly....

Can anyone else comment on this?

greg@travis.cica.indiana.edu (Gregory TRAVIS) (04/16/91)

ersys!kevind@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Kevin Dackiw) writes:

>greg@travis.cica.indiana.edu (Gregory TRAVIS) writes:

>> Agreed 100%  I posted an article a long time ago, well a couple of
>> months ago, addressing this question.  My DSB, even with the latest
>> drivers, seems to have about two times the overhead per port that the
>> built-in Amiga serial port has.

>Greg, I've been told that ASDG has made new drivers for the board; any
>problems with speed *theoretically* disappear, according to what I have
>heard...I'll definately check into this avenue by contacting ASDG
>directly....

I have the latest ASDG drivers as of six weeks ago.  Unless they've made
an even more recent upgrade, I think we're stuck with what we've got.

greg