[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] FTP for Amiga?

DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Doug Bischoff) (04/17/91)

     Is there an external protocol (XPR-FTP) for File Transfer Protocol?
Kermit on my Amiga gives me errors on any file larger than 10k, with the
chance of getting an error increasing geometrically with file size.
     It's a pain to FTP to an IBM disk on campus, go all the way home and
transfer from IBM to Amiga to work on the darn thing.  Yes, I'm lazy.
     Anybody want to do an FTP protocol or write a simple FTP server for our
beloved Amiga?  Preferrably something stand-alone and small OR an external
protocol for VLT.  Thanks!

| -Doug  Bischoff- |    *** ***    ====--\         | "I'm not God...  |
| -DEB110 @ PSUVM- |   *  ***  *     ==|<>\___     |    I was just    |
| -The Black Ring- |    *** ***        |______\    |       misquoted!"|
| --- "Wheels" --- |      ***           O   O      |   -Dave Lister   |
| Corwyn Blakwolfe |     T.R.I.     -------------  |    RED DWARF     |
\---- DEB110@PSUVM.PSU.EDU  D.BISCHOFF on GEnie  THIRDMAN on PAN -----/

johnhlee@CS.Cornell.EDU (John H. Lee) (04/17/91)

In article <91106.221107DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu> DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Doug Bischoff) writes:
>     Is there an external protocol (XPR-FTP) for File Transfer Protocol?
>Kermit on my Amiga gives me errors on any file larger than 10k, with the
>chance of getting an error increasing geometrically with file size.
>     It's a pain to FTP to an IBM disk on campus, go all the way home and
>transfer from IBM to Amiga to work on the darn thing.  Yes, I'm lazy.
>     Anybody want to do an FTP protocol or write a simple FTP server for our
>beloved Amiga?  Preferrably something stand-alone and small OR an external
>protocol for VLT.  Thanks!

The FTP protool runs over the TCP/IP protocol which runs over Ethernet or
a serial line (SLIP.)  You'll need to get an Ethernet card and a hookup
for your Amiga or install SLIP on a machine on campus in addition to your
Amiga.  In both cases, the FTP program should come with your TCP/IP
software, and SLIP isn't any faster than logging in and using a protocol
like Kermit or ZMODEM.  Sorry.

The DiskDoctor threatens the crew!  Next time on AmigaDos: The Next Generation.
	John Lee		Internet: johnhlee@cs.cornell.edu
The above opinions of those of the user, and not of this machine.

carson@darwin.ntu.edu.au (04/18/91)

In article <91106.221107DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu>, DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Doug Bischoff) writes:

>      Is there an external protocol (XPR-FTP) for File Transfer Protocol?
> Kermit on my Amiga gives me errors on any file larger than 10k, with the
> chance of getting an error increasing geometrically with file size.
>      It's a pain to FTP to an IBM disk on campus, go all the way home and
> transfer from IBM to Amiga to work on the darn thing.  Yes, I'm lazy.
>      Anybody want to do an FTP protocol or write a simple FTP server for our
> beloved Amiga?  Preferrably something stand-alone and small OR an external
> protocol for VLT.  Thanks!

Doug
There is a FTP and telnet program for the Amiga it is AMIGANOS and it avaliable
on THUMPER.BELLCORE.COM I have got but haven't had time to get it running yet
will give it a go in the holidays. Let us all know how you get on.--

  __ |\  John Carson                   \   Ph:       (089)466207
 -  -  \  Northern Territory University \  Fax:      (089)466454
/       \ PO Box 40146,CASUARINA,NT,0811 \ Inter: Carson@darwin.ntu.edu.au
\_.--.__/ Australia.
       v            "The best is yet to come when everyone has an AMIGA"