[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] ShareWare support

231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) (04/18/91)

People calling me a cheap skate......hmph....you do a good deed and they
step on you.

Here the story:
  When I pay a shareware fee, I usually don't expect a free disk with upgrades.
How could the author cover the S&H when I pay 3 or 4 bux.  Now JR-comm is
different.  We aren't talking $5.00, we are talking $30.00!

I have a shareware program out, NewList.  I only want $1.00.  Yes, only one
green Georgie.  So far, I've collected 10 or so, and you know what....
they are all getting a disk in the mail.  Sure I may lose $.25
mailing covering the costs to send to Australia and Switzerland, but
hey, if they made the effort to mail me, I sure as hell can write them
back.

I feel that I'm providing a service....all for the benefit of us Amigans
and not my wallet.

Sheesh....whatever happened to being considerate of the customers.
I guess that went out after WW II.

Phil Dietz

--
     "These are not ASUN's, DN's, or                        Phil Dietz
      the Regent's opinions.  Therefore       231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu

mwm@pa.dec.com (Mike (My Watch Has Windows) Meyer) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr18.030522.19499@unlinfo.unl.edu> 231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) writes:
   Sheesh....whatever happened to being considerate of the customers.
   I guess that went out after WW II.

JR is running a business, and one that's considerate to his customers.
From what I hear, he's promised everyone who registers one update;
you've basically bought a copy for $30, which is really cheap for a
term program. I assume he's acting ethically towards people who
discover bugs, but I don't know - I use VLT.

   I feel that I'm providing a service....all for the benefit of us Amigans
   and not my wallet.

You're providing a free service. The two are different things. If you
want JR to provide a free service, then that's what you should ask him
to do. Pretending to ask him to change his business practices while
actually asking him to provide a free service is crass and cheap.

I congratulate you for providing a free service; I'm not that kind for
my PD stuff (if somone want's something, they can send me an SASD or
$5 and a note stating what they want; I'll put it on their disk and
mail it back). But that doesn't make complaining about how JR runs his
business anything but whining.

	<mike
--
And then up spoke his own dear wife,			Mike Meyer
Never heard to speak so free.				mwm@pa.dec.com

tschiller@dahlia.waterloo.edu (Thorsten Schiller) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr18.030522.19499@unlinfo.unl.edu> 231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) writes:
>People calling me a cheap skate......hmph....you do a good deed and they
>step on you.
>
>Here the story:
>  When I pay a shareware fee, I usually don't expect a free disk with upgrades.
>How could the author cover the S&H when I pay 3 or 4 bux.  Now JR-comm is
>different.  We aren't talking $5.00, we are talking $30.00!

 Hmm, $30 for a program that of far better quality than most commercial
products out there. Not to mention that the author is not only willing to
reply directly to problems (though UseNet, for example, though I'd be
willing to bet that the support BBS is no different), address bugs but also
directly take new user ideas (demands? :-) ) into consideration.
 I'm sure that Jack has better things to do with his time then to be
continually bombarded by childish complaints.

>I have a shareware program out, NewList.  I only want $1.00.  Yes, only one

 BUt the question is: Have you put NEARLY as much work or time into your
program as Jack has put into JR-Comm? How long have you been supporting
your software? How widely spread is your software (not to belittle you, but
I've never heard of the program)? How widely used?

>green Georgie.  So far, I've collected 10 or so, and you know what....
>they are all getting a disk in the mail.  Sure I may lose $.25
>mailing covering the costs to send to Australia and Switzerland, but
>hey, if they made the effort to mail me, I sure as hell can write them
>back.

 That's a great attitude! (no sarcasm intended) But, alas, that it YOUR
attitude. Merely because you see it as 'right' and 'just' does not give
you the right to expect (not ask of, but expect) to live up to your
'standards' - especially considering that (by your own statement) only 10
users have written in do far. I am quite certain that Jack has more than
10 registered users (I will be one of them before too long) and, thus, there
would be a *great* deal more time involved in getting all those disk out.
 When I am out on a work term and spend 10+ hours a day at work, and then
go home, I am most certainly NOT in the mood to sit there and mass
produce disks (especially if I am already going above and beyond the orginal
agreement you signed) merely because one individual feels it's my 'duty' to
do so.

>I feel that I'm providing a service....all for the benefit of us Amigans
>and not my wallet.
>

>Sheesh....whatever happened to being considerate of the customers.
>I guess that went out after WW II.

 Whatever happened to customers that deserved such consideration? Wait until
you write software of the caliber of JR-Comm before running around waving
your righteous flag...

>Phil Dietz
>

>--
>     "These are not ASUN's, DN's, or                        Phil Dietz
>      the Regent's opinions.  Therefore       231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu
>      they aren't full of 'filler.'"                 Univ. of Nebraska

Thorsten Schiller

----

 "Take a look at my face, I am the future
  How do you like what you see?"
        - Alice Cooper