[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] JR-Comm 1.01 possible bugs

stephen@cia.docs.uu.se (Stephen Cooper) (04/13/91)

I recently received through my user group a copy of JR-Comm 1.01.
They are trying to arrange a large group registration for the program --
it's cheaper that way...

Before I register, I'd like some questions answered about some
possible bugs/features I've found.

Firstly, I have a diskette based system, and sometimes I call up
a file requester, and the diskette the program wants isn't in the disk
drive anymore.  Now, if I press Cancel, I expect the file requester to
either take a disk that IS in a drive, or print some nifty error message.
NOT go off in a corner and sulk.  The file requester simply dies, but its
spirit lives on (the window doesn't close).  Sometimes the menu strip is
even cleared, which makes me have to re-boot.

Secondly, I've had some problems with ZMODEM file transfer.  The
autodownload window pops up ok, and the d/l challenge goes over nicely,
but then I just get a series of ERROR messages, and then the programs
switches to YMODEM, which doesn't work either.  I have (on both ends)
32 bit CRC, and have tried with 16 bit as well as Escape control chars.
Am I doing something wrong, or is JR-comm at fault.

Most important, though, is are these bugs fixed in JR-Comm > 1.01?

I have to get my registration payment in before April 30th, so a
quick response is appreciated...anyone??

Because of the quick expiration date for News at my site
(roughly 5 sec after you post) I would appreciate e-mail

Thanks in advance
Stephen Cooper
Stephen@jfk.docs.uu.se
d88.Stephen-cooper@aida.csd.uu.se

jprad@faatcrl.UUCP (Jack Radigan) (04/13/91)

stephen@cia.docs.uu.se (Stephen Cooper) writes:

>Firstly, I have a diskette based system, and sometimes I call up
>a file requester, and the diskette the program wants isn't in the disk
>drive anymore.  Now, if I press Cancel, I expect the file requester to
>either take a disk that IS in a drive, or print some nifty error message.
>NOT go off in a corner and sulk.  The file requester simply dies, but its
>spirit lives on (the window doesn't close).  Sometimes the menu strip is
>even cleared, which makes me have to re-boot.

  This has been fixed in 1.02.

>Secondly, I've had some problems with ZMODEM file transfer.  The
>autodownload window pops up ok, and the d/l challenge goes over nicely,
>but then I just get a series of ERROR messages, and then the programs
>switches to YMODEM, which doesn't work either.  I have (on both ends)
>32 bit CRC, and have tried with 16 bit as well as Escape control chars.
>Am I doing something wrong, or is JR-comm at fault.

  Not enough details to go on.  Have you tried calling other systems to
see what's wrong?  Compared results with others in your user group?

  Are you attempting to use a high speed modem while downloading to floppy?
If so, is the flow control *really* working?  have you scanned the help
area of the user manual?

  -jack-

stevek@amiglynx.UUCP (Steve K) (04/15/91)

My ideas on possible inhancement to JrComm:

- External Protocols (or mabey just the addition of JModem)

- Ability to edit upload queue DURRING bach transfers

- Option to cut screen to 2 colors durring transfer

- Save text on screen to appendable disk file

- Arexx support (I'm sure this has been talked about before though)

- Slight modification of on-line cost timer to use x amount for first minute
  and y amount for every other minute

- Mabey open a shell window on the Jr-Comm screen

Anyone have any other ideas?

-=*> Steve Krulewitz -------------------- UUNET!tronsbox!amiglynx!stevek <*=-

stephen@cia.docs.uu.se (Stephen Cooper) (04/18/91)

In <1219@faatcrl.UUCP> jprad@faatcrl.UUCP (Jack Radigan) writes:

>stephen@cia.docs.uu.se (Stephen Cooper) writes:

[...deleted...]

>>Secondly, I've had some problems with ZMODEM file transfer.  The
>>autodownload window pops up ok, and the d/l challenge goes over nicely,
>>but then I just get a series of ERROR messages, and then the programs
>>switches to YMODEM, which doesn't work either.  I have (on both ends)
>>32 bit CRC, and have tried with 16 bit as well as Escape control chars.
>>Am I doing something wrong, or is JR-comm at fault.

>  Not enough details to go on.  Have you tried calling other systems to
>see what's wrong?  Compared results with others in your user group?

>  Are you attempting to use a high speed modem while downloading to floppy?

Download to a floppy!?!?  Never!  Only ram:!

>If so, is the flow control *really* working?  have you scanned the help
>area of the user manual?

Yep, I'm one of the few that actually check the manual when things go
wrong.  Anyhow, I think that the problem might lie in the ZModem protocol
at my school.  Allowing students to download isn't highest on their priorities.
Anyone know where I might get a new(er) version of sz than version 1.42
from 1988(!).

Stephen

jprad@faatcrl.UUCP (Jack Radigan) (04/18/91)

stevek@amiglynx.UUCP (Steve K) writes:

>- External Protocols (or mabey just the addition of JModem)

  Planned for 1.1.

>- Ability to edit upload queue DURRING bach transfers

  Doubt it.

>- Option to cut screen to 2 colors durring transfer

  No gain.  It's only 8 and 16 color screens that cut into file transfers.
Text is a different story.

>- Save text on screen to appendable disk file

  Well, you *can* print the screen, but I see your point.

>- Arexx support (I'm sure this has been talked about before though)

  Planned for 1.1.

>- Slight modification of on-line cost timer to use x amount for first minute
>  and y amount for every other minute

  Planned for a future release when the phonebook is overhauled and detailed
cost accounting is added.

>- Mabey open a shell window on the Jr-Comm screen

  Well, public screen support is planned, but not a direct command to open
a new CLI.

  -jack-

ericpaul@wyatt.ksu.ksu.edu (Eric Paul Armstrong) (04/19/91)

jprad@faatcrl.UUCP (Jack Radigan) writes:

>stevek@amiglynx.UUCP (Steve K) writes:

>>- Option to cut screen to 2 colors durring transfer

>  No gain.  It's only 8 and 16 color screens that cut into file transfers.
>Text is a different story.

There is a gain.   The saving of chip ram that other programs can use while
you are waiting for a download to finish.

----
Eric P. Armstrong		ericpaul@matt.ksu.ksu.edu

mmoore@ux.acs.umn.edu (Malcolm Diallo Moore) (04/21/91)

In article <stevek.4406@amiglynx.UUCP> stevek@amiglynx.UUCP (Steve K) writes:
>My ideas on possible inhancement to JrComm:

{A whole bunch of good stuff}

>Anyone have any other ideas?
>
>-=*> Steve Krulewitz -------------------- UUNET!tronsbox!amiglynx!stevek <*=-

How about scrollback in the main terminal window?