[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] JR-Comm 1.02 ANSI bugfix patch/.

jprad@faatcrl.UUCP (Jack Radigan) (04/08/91)

               ***    Bug notice for JR-Comm 1.02.   ***

   The 1.02 release of JR-Comm has a bug that appears when an invalid ANSI
sequence is processed.  Although it would usually "resynch" within one or
two valid sequences, this would likely leave the term is a visibly confused
state.

   A small patch program has been posted in several places and is also
available on the support BBS to correct this bug.

   Since there is only one byte that needs to be changed (to change a relative
jump offset), you may want to patch it yourself using a sector editor program.

   The patch locations, previous and post values are:

      Executable     Location (decimal)   Preval   Postval
      Registered:          69719          0x0c     0x00
      Evaluation:          70907          0x0c     0x00

   Please be aware that this patch does not change the version number of the
program.

   Apologies for any inconviences caused by this bug.

                                                            -jack-

manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) (04/09/91)

In article <1198@faatcrl.UUCP>, jprad@faatcrl.UUCP (Jack Radigan) writes:
>                ***    Bug notice for JR-Comm 1.02.   ***

Eh?  1.02?  Are the registered users (namely me!) going to be upgraded
to 1.02??

>                                                             -jack-

 -mark=

 +--------+   ==================================================
 +--------+   ==================================================

umturne4@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Daryl Turner) (04/10/91)

In article <825.28019573@vger.nsu.edu> manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) writes:

>Eh?  1.02?  Are the registered users (namely me!) going to be upgraded
>to 1.02??

1.02 is a 'minor' fix, and as such won't be mailed to registered
users (like me too!).  1.1, slated tenatively for this summer
will be a major release, and mailed to all registered users.
(according to docs coming with the evaluation release of 1.02)

Daryl Turner
Internet: umturne4@ccu.umanitoba.ca
Urrrrrggghhhh!,    What a RRRRRUSH! -Road Warrior Hawk, The Legion of Doom

bard@jessica.stanford.edu (David Hopper) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr9.221441.8649@ccu.umanitoba.ca> umturne4@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Daryl Turner) writes:

>1.02 is a 'minor' fix, and as such won't be mailed to registered
>users (like me too!).  1.1, slated tenatively for this summer
>will be a major release, and mailed to all registered users.
>(according to docs coming with the evaluation release of 1.02)

Whoa, Nellie.  This needs to be clarified.  I got my 1.02 in the mail on
Monday.  1.02 *will* be mailed to those who haven't yet received their
registered version.  1.02 *will not*, I don't think, be mailed to those
who have already received 1.01 *by mail*.  This should all be verified
by Jack, though.

>Daryl Turner

Dave Hopper      |     /// Anthro Creep  | Academic Info Resources, Stanford
                 |__  ///     .   .      | Macincrap/UNIX Consultant
bard@jessica.    |\\\///     Ia! Ia!     | -- Just remember: love is life, and
   Stanford.EDU  | \XX/  Shub-Niggurath! | hate is living death. :Black Sabbath

crafton@psych.toronto.edu (Brad Crafton) (04/12/91)

In article <1198@faatcrl.UUCP> jprad@faatcrl.UUCP (Jack Radigan) writes:
>   The 1.02 release of JR-Comm has a bug that appears when an invalid ANSI
>sequence is processed.  Although it would usually "resynch" within one or
>two valid sequences, this would likely leave the term is a visibly confused
>state.
>
>   A small patch program has been posted in several places and is also
>available on the support BBS to correct this bug.

I couldn't find it on ab20.  Is it available anywhere by ftp?

Brad
crafton@psych.utoronto.ca

jprad@faatcrl.UUCP (Jack Radigan) (04/13/91)

manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) writes:

>Eh?  1.02?  Are the registered users (namely me!) going to be upgraded
>to 1.02??

  Sorry, but $30 does not buy you unlimited disks in the mail.  You will
be getting a 1.1 disk, as will all registered users.  The current method
of maintaining a seperate version for registered users has proven to be
quite impractical.  That will change with 1.1, you'll received a seperate
registration utility that will allow you to download updates locally and
not have to call long distance.

  For the meantime you can mail back your original disk and I'll update it
and then return it to you, don't include return postage, I'll take care of
that.

  -jack-

231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) (04/14/91)

In article <1217@faatcrl.UUCP> jprad@faatcrl.UUCP (Jack Radigan) writes:
>manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) writes:
>
>>Eh?  1.02?  Are the registered users (namely me!) going to be upgraded
>>to 1.02??
>
>  Sorry, but $30 does not buy you unlimited disks in the mail.  You will

Oh come on now!  You expect people to pay $30 bucks, and not send them a .39
cent disk,a .19 cent mailer, and .50 postage?  Yeah, I guess you'll only be
profiting $29 rather than $30.

Yes we all know how much time it took you to make it, and we all know how
great it is, but at least have the respect for the customer.

Phil Dietz

ps. oh yeah.  How many versions are you going to make?  As long as you
make less than 30 you'll still come out on top!

>  -jack-

---- Flame Proof
     o   __     |  o    Shield of                        Phil Dietz
    +-- <__<    | -+-   Arrogance          231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu
    /\          | / \                        University of Nebraska

ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) (04/17/91)

>In article <1991Apr13.182204.16448@unlinfo.unl.edu> 231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) writes:
>In article <1217@faatcrl.UUCP> jprad@faatcrl.UUCP (Jack Radigan) writes:
>>manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) writes:
>>
>>>Eh?  1.02?  Are the registered users (namely me!) going to be upgraded
>>>to 1.02??
>>
>>  Sorry, but $30 does not buy you unlimited disks in the mail.  You will
>
>Oh come on now!  You expect people to pay $30 bucks, and not send them a .39
>cent disk,a .19 cent mailer, and .50 postage?  Yeah, I guess you'll only be
>profiting $29 rather than $30.
>
>Yes we all know how much time it took you to make it, and we all know how
>great it is, but at least have the respect for the customer.

Sure, we all know that Jack's time isn't worth a cent, right?

I stopped writing shareware when it started taking too much of my time to
stuff envelopes and take trips to the post office to mail packages.
It is a major effort on the part of the software author, and I'm sure
Jack has a "real life" and a "real job" outside of writing and supporting
JRComm.

--
| ben@epmooch.UUCP   (Ben Mesander)       | "Cash is more important than |
| ben%servalan.UUCP@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu |  your mother." - Al Shugart, |

ake@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr13.182204.16448@unlinfo.unl.edu>, 231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) writes:
> In article <1217@faatcrl.UUCP> jprad@faatcrl.UUCP (Jack Radigan) writes:
>>manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) writes:
>>
>>>Eh?  1.02?  Are the registered users (namely me!) going to be upgraded
>>>to 1.02??
>>
>>  Sorry, but $30 does not buy you unlimited disks in the mail.  You will
>
> Oh come on now!  You expect people to pay $30 bucks, and not send them a .39
> cent disk,a .19 cent mailer, and .50 postage?  Yeah, I guess you'll only be
> profiting $29 rather than $30.

	If I do remember correctly Jack has said that if you send him your
original disk that he will put the newer version on it and send it back to you.
That seems more than fair to me.  Come on, it will only cost you .50 since
Jack has already given you the disk and mailer to use!

	I don't have the registration form for 1.0 but according to the 0.94a
registration form, "The author, Jack Radigan, reserves the right to not
develop any future versions of JR-Comm after the release of version 1.0".
Futhermore, "The author, Jack Radigan, will try to make a good faith attempt
at correcting any problems if any are discovered, but is in no way required,
nor bound to correct them."  If that's the same form you signed, Jack is going
beyond the bounds of the initial agreement by offering to send registered
users 1.1 when it is available.  He is also not bound to fix bugs but is doing
so anyway.

> Yes we all know how much time it took you to make it, and we all know how
> great it is, but at least have the respect for the customer.
>
> Phil Dietz

> ps. oh yeah.  How many versions are you going to make?  As long as you
> make less than 30 you'll still come out on top!

	Hey Phil, why not write some software yourself.  I'll send you $30 as
long as you fix any bugs found and agree to send me free of charge ALL updates
as long as you improve the program.  Sounds good to me, huh?  I don't think
even software companies could stay in business very long at those rates.

Earle

P.S. Phil, have some respect for the author and the amount of time he has put
into it.  I am happy if software houses offer me the chance to upgrade to
better releases of their software for $10 or less.

             ____ ____    ___
Earle Ake   /___ /___/ / /     Science Applications International Corporation
           ____//   / / /__                 Dayton, Ohio
Internet: ake@dayton.saic.com        uucp: dayvb!ake         SPAN: 28284::ake

stelmack@screamer.csee.usf.edu (Gregory M. Stelmack) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr13.182204.16448@unlinfo.unl.edu>,
231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) writes:

|> Oh come on now!  You expect people to pay $30 bucks, and not send
|> them a .39
|> cent disk,a .19 cent mailer, and .50 postage?  Yeah, I guess you'll
|> only be
|> profiting $29 rather than $30.
|>
|> Yes we all know how much time it took you to make it, and we all know
|> how
|> great it is, but at least have the respect for the customer.
|>
|> Phil Dietz
|>
|> ps. oh yeah.  How many versions are you going to make?  As long as
|> you
|> make less than 30 you'll still come out on top!

Should Jack send minor bug fixes to everyone, including someone like me for
whom 1.01 is doing fine with NO problems? It would be a waste of his $1 to
send it to me... I'd rather he spend time getting 1.1 ready than copying,
packaging, and mailing disks for every minor update to every Registered
User. Besides, if you need it that bad, send him back your $.39 disk in
your $.19 mailer, and he will put the update on it and mail it back to
you. I think Jack is perfectly entitled to ALL of my $30 if he wants it,
otherwise I wouldn't have sent it to him in the first place!

Keep up the good work, Jack!

-- Greg Stelmack (stelmack@sol.csee.usf.edu)

drxmann@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Dustin Christmann) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr13.182204.16448@unlinfo.unl.edu> 231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) writes:
>Oh come on now!  You expect people to pay $30 bucks, and not send them a .39
>cent disk,a .19 cent mailer, and .50 postage?  Yeah, I guess you'll only be
>profiting $29 rather than $30.
>
>Yes we all know how much time it took you to make it, and we all know how
>great it is, but at least have the respect for the customer.

However, Jack does have a real job. Everything (I assume) he does with JR-Comm
he does in his spare time. I think a little compensation is in order. Besides,
if JR-Comm were commercial, how many companies would send out new disks automa-
tically with every 1.0->1.1 upgrade, let alone 1.01->1.02 upgrades? Not many,
I can tell you. How many companies give you the level of support (talking to
the author of the program) that Jack does? And most of all...how much would you
be paying for JR-Comm if it were commercial?

>Phil Dietz
>
>ps. oh yeah.  How many versions are you going to make?  As long as you
>make less than 30 you'll still come out on top!

Funny concept, free enterprise.

[stepping onto net.soap.box]

With this attitude, I wonder if you have ever paid any shareware fees. Or
paid for any software. After all, many companies want $30-$40 for a game and
they don't send you free upgrades. I assume from your .signature that you are
a student and have your account at little or no cost. And with this you have
access to all sorts of goodies through anonymous FTP, etc., at cost to the tax-
payers of Nebraska. Maybe this is what breeds contempt for paying someone for
their efforts.

[stepping off net.soap.box]

--
Thanx,					Internet: drxmann@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Dustin R. Christmann			Bitnet: DRXMANN@UTXVM

barber@jazz.concert.net (Scott Barber) (04/18/91)

>>  Sorry, but $30 does not buy you unlimited disks in the mail.  You will
>
>Oh come on now!  You expect people to pay $30 bucks, and not send them a .39
>cent disk,a .19 cent mailer, and .50 postage?  Yeah, I guess you'll only be
>profiting $29 rather than $30.
>
>Yes we all know how much time it took you to make it, and we all know how
>great it is, but at least have the respect for the customer.
>
>Phil Dietz
>
>ps. oh yeah.  How many versions are you going to make?  As long as you
>make less than 30 you'll still come out on top!

It's a bit unclear to me why he'd make any more than one, if he was
expected to give them all away to people who had bought an early
version.  You may not have made it to Life 101 yet, kid, but there is
more to the cost of a product than the raw materials.  And time that
could be spent sucking up to some corporate marketing VP for the
big bucks is pretty valuable to programmers who choose to spend it
selling directly to appreciative users.

Just a hunch, but what does everybody bet that young Philip isn't
working his way through college?

Scott Barber

manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr13.182204.16448@unlinfo.unl.edu>, 231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) writes:
> In article <1217@faatcrl.UUCP> jprad@faatcrl.UUCP (Jack Radigan) writes:
>>manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) writes:
>>
>>>Eh?  1.02?  Are the registered users (namely me!) going to be upgraded
>>>to 1.02??
>>
>>  Sorry, but $30 does not buy you unlimited disks in the mail.  You will
>
> Oh come on now!  You expect people to pay $30 bucks, and not send them a .39
> cent disk,a .19 cent mailer, and .50 postage?  Yeah, I guess you'll only be
> profiting $29 rather than $30.
>
> Yes we all know how much time it took you to make it, and we all know how
> great it is, but at least have the respect for the customer.
>
> Phil Dietz

Phil,

I am paying to keep the author working on this program.  I am not
asking for unlimited disks.  I do think that a better distribution
system should be in place for the customers who have taken the time
and money to support the author.  It does annoy me when a new
shareware release hits the streets before I even _know_ there is a
upgrade.  If it was a important enough upgrade to release a new
shareware (register me) version, it was important enough to send it
to the folks who purchased the software.

I _like_ Jr-Comm a lot.  I do wish that there was a bit more
motivation to register it.  Such as a printed users manual, and
updates when they are released to the general public.  I don't mind
the upgrade being made available via electronic means, but have you
tried to log into Jack's BBS?  Next to impossible.

If electronic upgrade is the method of updating the customers, then
there should be an appropriate amount of telephone lines available,
not just one.

> ps. oh yeah.  How many versions are you going to make?  As long as you
> make less than 30 you'll still come out on top!

That is a bit extreme.

>>  -jack-
>

> ---- Flame Proof
>      o   __     |  o    Shield of                        Phil Dietz
>     +-- <__<    | -+-   Arrogance          231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu
>     /\          | / \                        University of Nebraska

 -mark=

 +--------+   ==================================================

jprad@faatcrl.UUCP (Jack Radigan) (04/18/91)

231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) writes:

>Oh come on now!  You expect people to pay $30 bucks, and not send them a .39
>cent disk,a .19 cent mailer, and .50 postage?  Yeah, I guess you'll only be
>profiting $29 rather than $30.
>
>Yes we all know how much time it took you to make it, and we all know how
>great it is, but at least have the respect for the customer.

  Oh, and I guess the ongoing costs for operating a BBS, monthly fees for
CompuServe, GEnie, BIX, PLink and outdial costs to other places as well as
voice calls and the cost for hardware doesn't count, eh?

  Oh, and lest we forget the IRS.

  Yeah, I've made money, but not $29 per.  BTW, I'd make more flipping burgers
at a McDonalds if you figure it out on an hourly wage.

  Oh, and the *actual* cost stateside is .79/disk, .20/mailer, .75/postage.
Then there's the incidental costs for, meter rental, ink rollers, labels,
tape, printer ribbons, wear and tear on the hardware.

  It adds up Phil.  Also, it's not like I said you're only going to get
*one* disk, I'm going to mail out a 1.1 disk to everyone.  But, if I
fork out a disk everytime an update is made I'd go broke.

>ps. oh yeah.  How many versions are you going to make?  As long as you
>make less than 30 you'll still come out on top!

  When the support drops below a level where I can declare income on a
Sched. C I have to stop development.  Now, I'm not talking about over the
5 year period where a business becomes a hobby by IRS definitions, I'm
talking about having to shell out money out of my own pocket for an
extended period of time.

  -jack-

manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) (04/19/91)

In article <1241@faatcrl.UUCP>, jprad@faatcrl.UUCP (Jack Radigan) writes:

> [various comments deleted from Jack]

I _really_ do understand the cost of mailing disks etc.  I have shareware
out there for the PC, and it is doing pretty good.  It is a big job,
especially if you do it all by yourself.

Obvisouly there is a problem here Jack.  I am a bit unhappy (not overly
unhappy) that I did not know there was a update on a piece of software
that I paid for.  I learned about it by seeing it posted on a local BBS.  I
>> felt << as though you did not care about _me_ anymore as I have already
paid.  I am sure that is not the case, but by releasing a update to the
masses and _not_ to the people who have paid for the priveledge of using
a great program, is like shooting ones own foot.

Certainly you would scream loud and long if Commodore did such a thing.
Now, I know that you don't have the same resources as Commodore.  I also
know what a pain it is to mail a ton of disks.

Perhaps the solution is:
  - Send a letter (certainly cheaper) telling registered users about
    the upgrade and how they can send you a disk and a mailer to get
    it.
  - Use electronic distribution on your own BBS as well as CIS, BIX,
    and GEnie.
  - Don't release maintenance upgrades to the masses unless you plan
    to upgrade the registered users.

I am ticked at not knowing about a upgrade and not knowing how to get the
upgrade.  Not that you are not sending me a disk.

I think that you will feel the same if you were on the other side of the
fence Jack.

I also kinda think that you might want to respond a bit nicer to complaint.
I grant that the posting that prompted you was not nice, but it _is_ customer
feedback, nice or not.

>   -jack-

 -mark=

 +--------+   ==================================================

sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Napalm) (04/22/91)

In article <ben.6066@epmooch.UUCP> ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) writes:
>>In article <1991Apr13.182204.16448@unlinfo.unl.edu> 231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) writes:

>>>  Sorry, but $30 does not buy you unlimited disks in the mail.  You will
>>
>>Oh come on now!  You expect people to pay $30 bucks, and not send them a .39
>>cent disk,a .19 cent mailer, and .50 postage?  Yeah, I guess you'll only be
>>profiting $29 rather than $30.
>>
>>Yes we all know how much time it took you to make it, and we all know how
>>great it is, but at least have the respect for the customer.
>
>Sure, we all know that Jack's time isn't worth a cent, right?
>
>I stopped writing shareware when it started taking too much of my time to
>stuff envelopes and take trips to the post office to mail packages.
>It is a major effort on the part of the software author, and I'm sure
>Jack has a "real life" and a "real job" outside of writing and supporting
>JRComm.

Heres a suggestion:
registered owners can get updates for ~$5 <or $10> rather than the $30 fee
charged initially.

<any chance 1.1 will scroll faster esp on VT-100 terminal? this is pretty slow.
and when is 1.1 expected?>

jprad@faatcrl.UUCP (Jack Radigan) (04/23/91)

manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) writes:

>Obvisouly there is a problem here Jack.  I am a bit unhappy (not overly
>unhappy) that I did not know there was a update on a piece of software
>that I paid for.  I learned about it by seeing it posted on a local BBS.  I
>>> felt << as though you did not care about _me_ anymore as I have already
>paid.  I am sure that is not the case, but by releasing a update to the
>masses and _not_ to the people who have paid for the priveledge of using
>a great program, is like shooting ones own foot.

  I should have mentioned this earlier, but the 1.1 release is going to do
away with the seperately available registered version.  I'm going to add
some sort of password verification utility so that you can upgrade via a
local download, sorta like the "Demand upgrade" that Chuck Forsberg uses for
DSZ and ZCOMM.

  The present method does have its problems, that's why I'm moving away
from it with 1.1.

>I also kinda think that you might want to respond a bit nicer to complaint.
>I grant that the posting that prompted you was not nice, but it _is_ customer
>feedback, nice or not.

  True, sorry about the rub there, I wasn't trying to cast you off like that,
even though I managed t.

  -jack-