[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] Amazed by NCOMM 1.92 and XPR!!!

231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) (04/19/91)

Holy moley!

I just tried the new version of NComm, and boy, am I amazed!  It has
built in XPR transmission protocals and are they fast!  I downloaded
off of a 19.2k direct connect fiber-optic network with both JRCOMM1.01 and
Ncomm1.92 to see which was faster.  To my amazment Ncomm transferred
around 1850 cps whereas jrcomm hit around 1550 cps.  I didn't believe my
results so I downloaded another 300k file to test again.  Sure enough, it
peaked out at 1850 again!  I didn't believe it again, so I figured out the CPS
via my calculator.  Te average CPS over the entire transfer was
jrcomm1.01 1565 CPS and ncomm1.92 1849!

How can an external packet/library format such as XPR beat an inline
optimized zmodem code that jrcomm has?

Phil Dietz

BTW, Ncomm1.92 has added the rest of the Zmodem flags so it's usuable now.

-- Subliminal Signature
                                                            Phil Dietz
   A      M      I      G      A              231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu
                                                     Univ. of Nebraska

231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) (04/19/91)

Silly me.  Forgot to turn off my escape ctrl characters.  I did my download
testing on my new account on a Mac II (a system on our network that doesnt
need escape expansion).  Ncomm1.92 doesn't have escape ctrl chars so
I totall forgot about it.

Well anyway, Jrcomm1.01 is still the fastest zmodem program.  Downloading
a couple big files produced an average CPS of 1850-1860, which is right
in line with Ncomm.

I'm still wondering though, how an external protocal could be so fast!

Phil Dietz

-- Subliminal Signature
                                                            Phil Dietz
   A      M      I      G      A              231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu
                                                     Univ. of Nebraska

cs275rs@vuse.vanderbilt.edu (Roy Sutton) (04/20/91)

Where is NCOMM 1.92 available?  Also along this vein, is there a way
to select batch uploads on NCOMM 1.9? I've tried and tried everything
I know to selevt more than one file, to no avail....If there is no way,
is it fixed in 1.92?  I like the scripts, but if JRCOMM add AREXX, I guess
I'll have to register (what the hell, it's only money....guess I'll do
it right now)

----Roy             suttonrv@vuctrvax
                     cs275rs@vuse.vandebilt.edu

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (04/21/91)

In article <1991Apr18.181303.25160@unlinfo.unl.edu> 231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) writes:
>Holy moley!
>
>I just tried the new version of NComm, and boy, am I amazed!  It has
>built in XPR transmission protocals and are they fast!  I downloaded
>off of a 19.2k direct connect fiber-optic network with both JRCOMM1.01 and
>Ncomm1.92 to see which was faster.  To my amazment Ncomm transferred
>around 1850 cps whereas jrcomm hit around 1550 cps.  I didn't believe my
>results so I downloaded another 300k file to test again.  Sure enough, it
>peaked out at 1850 again!  I didn't believe it again, so I figured out the CPS
>via my calculator.  Te average CPS over the entire transfer was
>jrcomm1.01 1565 CPS and ncomm1.92 1849!

  My roomate usually gets 1864 cps with JrComm 1.01, and I get about the
same with most of my terminal programs, whether I use zmodem or ymodem.

--
    David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN  Tomas Arce
           Any students from SUNY Oswego? Please let me know! :)

                   Un ragazzo di Casalbordino, Italia.

jprad@faatcrl.UUCP (Jack Radigan) (04/23/91)

231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) writes:

>I just tried the new version of NComm, and boy, am I amazed!  It has
>built in XPR transmission protocals and are they fast!  I downloaded
>off of a 19.2k direct connect fiber-optic network with both JRCOMM1.01 and
>Ncomm1.92 to see which was faster.  To my amazment Ncomm transferred
>around 1850 cps whereas jrcomm hit around 1550 cps.  I didn't believe my
>results so I downloaded another 300k file to test again.  Sure enough, it
>peaked out at 1850 again!  I didn't believe it again, so I figured out the CPS
>via my calculator.  Te average CPS over the entire transfer was
>jrcomm1.01 1565 CPS and ncomm1.92 1849!
>
>How can an external packet/library format such as XPR beat an inline
>optimized zmodem code that jrcomm has?

  You obviously had something setup wrong because a download is *entirely*
dependent on the sender, you can only recieve file as fast as it is sent.

  Off hand, the three things that kill a JR-Comm transfer are the space
check, file saver and XON/XOFF handshake options.  Willing to bet that
you had one or more of these active, did you?

  BTW, I checked out 1.92 myself, it still can't upload (which is the
benchmark for any FTP) as fast as JR-Comm.

  -jack-