[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] Fixing NiftyTerm to use SHARED mode on serial.device

jpbaker@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jon P Baker) (04/24/91)

I got NiftyTerm a couple of days ago and I love its vt102 emulation.

My only problem is that when I try to run SZ or RZ I get the message
"cannot open serial.device" or something similar.  I belive that this
is because NiftyTerm does not open the serial port in shared access
mode.

Is there an easy way to fix this?  I would _think_ that it would just
be a matter of using a file editor and changing a byte or three.

Has anyone done this or is this not doable?  I know NiftyTerm was made
for DNet or some such, but I really like the workbench window and the
fonts and how fast it runs.

Jon

--
+------------------+--------------------------------+
| Jon Paul Baker   | jpbaker@silver.ucs.indiana.edu |

niobium@nevada.edu (Christopher W. Carlson) (04/24/91)

In article <jpbaker.672438449@silver> jpbaker@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Jon P Baker) writes:
>I got NiftyTerm a couple of days ago and I love its vt102 emulation.
>
>My only problem is that when I try to run SZ or RZ I get the message
>"cannot open serial.device" or something similar.  I belive that this
>is because NiftyTerm does not open the serial port in shared access
>mode.
>
>Is there an easy way to fix this?  I would _think_ that it would just
>be a matter of using a file editor and changing a byte or three.

Even easier than that...

Simply start it up with one additional command-line option: -shared
Like so: niftyterm -shared
Easy 'nuff, no?

--
   )   _                | | But I like it when that        // | Free        _
|\/ | (_) |B | (_) (\/) * | lightning comes!!! -- The Cure Z7 | Yourself!_ //

niobium@nevada.edu (Christopher W. Carlson) writes:

>Even easier than that...

>Simply start it up with one additional command-line option: -shared
>Like so: niftyterm -shared
>Easy 'nuff, no?

Man do I feel stupid.  Thanks for the reply.

Also, I just got DNet from FredFish Disk #294.  Is there a newer
version?  If you have a UNIX account and do a lot of stuff on it, get
this!  It is excellent.  Just make sure whether you have 8-bit or
7-bit connections, or it will lock up on you occasionally.  (I have a
7bit, thought it was 8bit.  15min and 2 lockups later I got a brain.)

Jon
(I am writing this message thru DNet while having another session
running TinyFugue to a MUSH.  All this at 2400 baud too!)
--