[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] using emacs on a Vax: what term...

v30170@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (001.) (04/26/91)

     I have been trying to use emacs from a modem link for quite
some time,  without any luck.  Here is my setup:
              A1000, 512K,  running VLT,  vt100,  NComm1.92...

              dial into DEC Vax running Ultrix at 2400 baud, 8N1

     I have no problem running emacs once typing vt100 at the 1>
prompt.  The problems occur when I attempt to scroll down the screen.
The command line(at the bottom) scrolls up with the rest of the page,  and
impedes my ability to further any input.  Any suggestions?

                                 Signed,
                                   Confused, bewildered,  and
                                   slightly befuddled...
Chris
v30170@vax1.uakron.edu or
c10343@akronvm.uakron.edu

WGLP09@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (04/27/91)

I'd suggest to check carefully how many lines your terminal is set to and
how many lines your system thinks you are. Other people may be able to help
you further - I don't have access to UNIX systems and don't run emacs. But
I do know there are people using it and that it works for them.

      Willy.
----------
Willy Langeveld - Bitnet: WGLP09 @ SLACVM - BIX: langeveld

sirotto@MAPLE.CIRCA.UFL.EDU (Michael Cerrato) (04/28/91)

In article <1310@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU>, v30170@VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (001.) writes:

>     I have been trying to use emacs from a modem link for quite
>some time,  without any luck.  Here is my setup:
>              A1000, 512K,  running VLT,  vt100,  NComm1.92...
>
>              dial into DEC Vax running Ultrix at 2400 baud, 8N1
>
>     I have no problem running emacs once typing vt100 at the 1>
>prompt.  The problems occur when I attempt to scroll down the screen.
>The command line(at the bottom) scrolls up with the rest of the page,  and
>impedes my ability to further any input.  Any suggestions?

I use Emacs on a DEC VAX running VMS with VLT JrComm both on custom
screens.  My guess would be, the VAX doesn't know how many lines you
have.  If you running on the WorkBench screen, find out the number
of lines you have (22 or 23 I guess) and type:
        SET TERM/PAGE=number-of-lines-here
If you are running from a custom screen, type:
        SHOW TERM
You will get a whole bunch of stuff, but at the top you will see
something like this:

        Terminal: _LTA6742:   Device_Type: VT200_Series  Owner: ItsCold&ItsDark
                                                      Username: SIROTTO
        LAT Server/Port: CIR112/E211-H12-4-2

           Input:   4800      LFfill:  0      Width: 80       Parity: None
           Output:  4800      CRfill:  0      Page:   24

Look where it says "Page:"  If it doesn't say 24, type:
        SET TERM/PAGE=24

I hope that helps . . .
           ___  __
|\   |\   |    /  \  Internet:          sirotto%maple.decnet@pine.circa.ufl.edu
| \  | \  |   /      ...!uunet!uflorida!pine.circa.ufl.edu!sirotto%maple.decnet
|  \ |  \ |--<       Bitnet:    "sirotto%maple.decnet%pine.circa.ufl.edu"@NERVM

SirOtto -- Gallant Knight of a rather large, squarish  |     Michael E. Cerrato
  table someplace in the West Panhandle of Florida.    |  University of Florida