[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] Kermit for JrComm?

ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) (04/14/91)

>In article <791.280868f6@zodiac.rutgers.edu> amatthews@zodiac.rutgers.edu writes:
>I think Jr-Comm is the nicest term out there, but unfortunately I
>find that I am unable to use it.  The reason for this is that I
>use a term program mostly to get on the nets, and whenever I want
>to transfer something from the VAX that I have an account on to
>my Amiga, I have to use kermit protocal.

I know. I'm in a similar situation with my Prime mini. I tried JRComm
0.94 long ago. It had the *coolest* zmodem I had ever seen, but I use
kermit too much for it to be useful. I *really* liked JRComm though, and
as soon as he puts kermit in, I'll grab that version and give it a whirl.
If I like it, he gets a little richer :-)... seriously, I don't even know
if the latest jrcomm has XPR support. If it does, then you and I can
run kermit.

>There is an Xmodem transfer
>system on the VAX, but it was last updated in 1984 and works at most
>10% of the time.  Any chance Jack R. will ever add kermit to Jr-Comm?
>Are you reading this Jack?  Oh by the way, why is kermit so slow?
>It usually transfers binary files at half the speed of Xmodem.

Well, if you are dealing with a mini that likes 7-bit protocols (my
Prime does, I'm not sure about your VAX), kermit escapes every byte with
the high bit set with a prefix byte. There's some other characters it
likes to escape also (XON/XOFF, etc). Most kermits also use a smaller
packet size than Xmodem as well. Kermit is slow because it seems to be
an absolute lowest-common-denominator protocol. It's possible to write a
kermit for almost any machine, no matter how brain-damaged. The same
cannot be said of X/Y/Z modem protocols.

Jack, if you add kermit support, do it right, like you did with Zmodem.
I need support for manipulating a kermit server on the other end as well
as the interactive commands (i.e. seperate "get" and "recieve" commands,
and "bye" and "finish" commands). Pretty much those and "send" are the
minimal kermit commands that I must have. VLT doesn't support all these,
forcing me to use an ancient VT100 program to do terminal emulation.

I'm gonna have to try a newer version of VLT as well, I'm sure...

--
| ben@epmooch.UUCP   (Ben Mesander)       | "Cash is more important than |
| ben%servalan.UUCP@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu |  your mother." - Al Shugart, |

amatthews@zodiac.rutgers.edu (04/14/91)

I think Jr-Comm is the nicest term out there, but unfortunately I
find that I am unable to use it.  The reason for this is that I
use a term program mostly to get on the nets, and whenever I want
to transfer something from the VAX that I have an account on to
my Amiga, I have to use kermit protocal.  There is an Xmodem transfer

jprad@faatcrl.UUCP (Jack Radigan) (04/15/91)

amatthews@zodiac.rutgers.edu writes:

>10% of the time.  Any chance Jack R. will ever add kermit to Jr-Comm?
>Are you reading this Jack?  Oh by the way, why is kermit so slow?
>It usually transfers binary files at half the speed of Xmodem.

  Yes, Kermit will be added once support for XPR is available. I'm not all
that familiar with Kermit since the UNIX site I have an account on has
ZMODEM implemented.

  Kermit's speed (or lack of) comes from it dealing to the lowest common
denominator, which is 7 bits.  All 8 bit data is escaped from what I
understand.  I'm not well enough acquainted with the protocol to know if
it supports full 8 bit transfers, which would speed it up a good bit, I
should think that it does though, if both ends can do it.

  Oh yeah, it uses a small block size too, smaller than XMODEM's 128 byte
size.

  Maybe someone with more knowledge of Kermit can clear this up a bit.

  -jack-

ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) (04/15/91)

>In article <1991Apr16.032313.10991@rock.concert.net> barber@jazz.concert.net (Scott Barber) writes:
>
>The version of VLT that I have (5.034) supports long packet lengths
>(I've been doing transfers with block sizes of c.1000) and also the
>standard server commands (FINISH, BYE, GET and SEND).

GET and RECIEVE? I need both...

--
| ben@epmooch.UUCP   (Ben Mesander)       | "Cash is more important than |
| ben%servalan.UUCP@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu |  your mother." - Al Shugart, |
| !chinet!uokmax!servalan!epmooch!ben     |  CEO, Seagate Technologies   |

ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) (04/15/91)

>In article <91105.200811WGLP09@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU> WGLP09@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU writes:
>Actually, Kermit uses all 8 bits when the connection is an 8-bit one.

Yes, but if you have an 8-bit link, you ought to use Zmodem :-)

Seriously, I only use kermit when I have 7-bit links to contend with.

--

barber@jazz.concert.net (Scott Barber) (04/16/91)

The version of VLT that I have (5.034) supports long packet lengths
(I've been doing transfers with block sizes of c.1000) and also the
standard server commands (FINISH, BYE, GET and SEND).

Kermit isn't very elegant (never has been), but it is indeed a workhorse
enabling transfers b/w almost anything and anything else (if you can ever
get the @#$# parms set right! ;-)

Scott

WGLP09@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (04/16/91)

VLT (actually xprkermit) *does* support all those commands, such as
GET from a remote in server mode. It certainly supports either BYE or
FINISH (there's some confusion about what these are exactly supposed to
do), and I believe the xprkermit that's currently in beta supports both.

        Willy.
----------
Willy Langeveld - Bitnet: WGLP09 @ SLACVM - BIX: langeveld

WGLP09@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (04/16/91)

Actually, Kermit uses all 8 bits when the connection is an 8-bit one.
And long-packet Kermit is quite fast. Windowing Kermit is even better,
of course, but I don't think we have that in the immediate future for
the Amiga (Steve?).

       Willy.
----------
Willy Langeveld - Bitnet: WGLP09 @ SLACVM - BIX: langeveld

sirotto@MAPLE.CIRCA.UFL.EDU (Michael Cerrato) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr16.032313.10991@rock.concert.net>, barber@jazz.concert.net (Scott Barber) writes:
>standard server commands (FINISH, BYE, GET and SEND).

Please someone, tell me how to use the FINISH command in VLT (I think
I'm using 4.824 and Kermit 1.5 beta).  I don't know what the offical
defination of the BYE command is, but at our site, it quits the
server and logges you out.
           ___  __
|\   |\   |    /  \  Internet:          sirotto%maple.decnet@pine.circa.ufl.edu
| \  | \  |   /      ...!uunet!uflorida!pine.circa.ufl.edu!sirotto%maple.decnet
|  \ |  \ |--<       Bitnet:    "sirotto%maple.decnet%pine.circa.ufl.edu"@NERVM
|   \|   \|___\____/

SirOtto -- Gallant Knight of a rather large, squarish  |     Michael E. Cerrato
  table someplace in the West Panhandle of Florida.    |  University of Florida

barber@jazz.concert.net (Scott Barber) (04/17/91)

In article <ben.6020@epmooch.UUCP> ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) writes:
>>In article <1991Apr16.032313.10991@rock.concert.net> barber@jazz.concert.net (Scott Barber) writes:
>>
>>The version of VLT that I have (5.034) supports long packet lengths
>>(I've been doing transfers with block sizes of c.1000) and also the
>>standard server commands (FINISH, BYE, GET and SEND).
>
>GET and RECIEVE? I need both...

Well, you may know this, I'm not sure, but typically GET refers to server
mode, and RECEIVE to non-server mode.  In VLT, things are organized in
such a way that once server (or non-server) mode is determined, the
same menu command (Send File or Receive File) is used.

What it boils down to is that, yes, VLT supports server mode uploads
and downloads, and also non-server mode uploads and downloads.

Regarding Willy's comment about confusion with BYE and FINISH, I've
always understood FINISH to mean stopping the host's server mode and
leaving you at the Kermit prompt, and BYE to mean exiting server mode
and then logging you off.   I know that FINISH works properly in VLT,
and I haven't yet tested BYE, because I usually don't want it!

Scott

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce D. Becker) (04/18/91)

In article <791.280868f6@zodiac.rutgers.edu> amatthews@zodiac.rutgers.edu writes:
|I think Jr-Comm is the nicest term out there, but unfortunately I
|find that I am unable to use it.  The reason for this is that I
|use a term program mostly to get on the nets, and whenever I want
|to transfer something from the VAX that I have an account on to
|my Amiga, I have to use kermit protocal.  There is an Xmodem transfer
|system on the VAX, but it was last updated in 1984 and works at most
|10% of the time.  Any chance Jack R. will ever add kermit to Jr-Comm?
|Are you reading this Jack?  Oh by the way, why is kermit so slow?
|It usually transfers binary files at half the speed of Xmodem.

	Actually Handshake is the nicest term
	out there  8^).

	It is a really excellent VT220 emulator.

	It supports Kermit just fine.

	Kermit has 2 forms - the default, small
	packets with no window, is pretty slow
	since it waits for verification that
	the last packet was OK b4 sending the
	next. Most Kermit clones don't implement
	the windowed version of the protocol as
	it is more complex to get right...

	Handshake is shareware - it's available
	from the author Eric Haberfellner,
	"eric@haberfellner.uucp"...

Cheers,
--
  ,u,	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
a /i/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) (04/18/91)

>In article <1242@faatcrl.UUCP> jprad@faatcrl.UUCP (Jack Radigan) writes:
>ben@epmooch.UUCP (Rev. Ben A. Mesander) writes:
>
>>Jack, if you add kermit support, do it right, like you did with Zmodem.
>
>  Geez, you *had* to say that, didn't you! ;-)

Well, I was being a bit arrogant, wasn't I? But kermit is the only reason
I don't use JRComm. I tried 0.94 and loved it except for no VT100 or kermit
support. I understand that it now has VT100.

>  Well, will XPR suffice until I can come up to speed with the protcol
>and all its oddities?  From what I've glanced at, it makes ZMODEM look
>tame...

I think XPR is a great idea regardless. You know, I may be one of the
last people who has to use kermit, so perhaps it shouldn't be your top
priority. I wouldn't need all the mondo windowing kermit mods and such.

Do you have the kermit protocol docs from Columbia? I've programmed a
simple kermit implementation in BASIC on an old HP desktop computer.

--

kendrix_j@mims.enet.dec.com (John R. Kendrix) (04/18/91)

In article <791.280868f6@zodiac.rutgers.edu>, amatthews@zodiac.rutgers.edu writes...
>I think Jr-Comm is the nicest term out there, but unfortunately I
>find that I am unable to use it.  The reason for this is that I
>use a term program mostly to get on the nets, and whenever I want
>to transfer something from the VAX that I have an account on to
>my Amiga, I have to use kermit protocal.  There is an Xmodem transfer
>system on the VAX, but it was last updated in 1984 and works at most
>10% of the time.  Any chance Jack R. will ever add kermit to Jr-Comm?
>Are you reading this Jack?  Oh by the way, why is kermit so slow?
>It usually transfers binary files at half the speed of Xmodem.
>
>                                         --Alex

Alex,

I would suggest that you upgrade your communications program on the Vax!
There's a version of Zmodem which is available through anonymous FTP which runs
just fine and dandy with VLT, JRcomm and other comm programs.  Check the VAX
FTP sites, I'm sure that one of them has it.

Kermit is a real dog for transfering files.  Reason being that it transmits
it's packets in 128 byte blocks.  Xmodem I believe uses a bit larger package,
while Zmodem will use 1024 byte pages for transmitting data.

Cheers,

JK

* John R. Kendrix                * Disclaimers:  The opinions expressed here   *
* Digital Equipment Corporation  *               aren't likely to be claimed   *
* Customer Support Center        *               by me, much less my employer. *
* Atlanta Georgia                               *                                             *
* Phone:  404-343-1739           * E-Mail:       Kendrix_J@mims.enet.dec.com   *

jprad@faatcrl.UUCP (Jack Radigan) (04/18/91)

barber@jazz.concert.net (Scott Barber) (04/18/91)

In article <22147@shlump.nac.dec.com> kendrix_j@mims.enet.dec.com (John R. Kendrix) writes:

>Kermit is a real dog for transfering files.  Reason being that it transmits
>it's packets in 128 byte blocks.  Xmodem I believe uses a bit larger package,
>while Zmodem will use 1024 byte pages for transmitting data.

Well, this WAS a problem until they came up with larger packet-size
options.  The first I was aware of it was a couple of years ago when
I was using mostly IBM-type machines.  Now, the external Kermit protocol
available for Amigas supports longer packet-sizes.

The problem is in being sure to set the packet size on both sending
and receiving machines.  Sometimes, the exact commands for doing this
aren't immediately clear!

Hope this helps,

Scott

sirotto@MAPLE.CIRCA.UFL.EDU (Michael Cerrato) (04/19/91)

In article <28053@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, sirotto@MAPLE.CIRCA.UFL.EDU (Michael Cerrato) writes:
>Please someone, tell me how to use the FINISH command in VLT (I think
>I'm using 4.824 and Kermit 1.5 beta).  I don't know what the offical
>defination of the BYE command is, but at our site, it quits the
>server and logges you out.

Okay, I found the finish command.  Next question:
Has anyone been able to sucessfully use VLT and the external Kermit
protocol through a TELNET connection to upload and download files?
I've tried in the server mode and in the "regular" mode and can't seem
to do anything.  VLT just sits there . . .  Maybe we just have a bum
version of Kermit at our site . . .
           ___  __

ridder@elvira.enet.dec.com (Hans Ridder) (04/20/91)

In article <28053@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> SIROTTO%oak.decnet@pine.circa.ufl.edu writes:
>I don't know what the offical defination of the BYE command is, but at
>our site, it quits the server and logges you out.

That's exactly the offical definition of the Kermit BYE command.  BYE
exits the server *and* logs you out, FINISH just exits the server.  It
seems that many communications programs get this wrong.

>SirOtto -- Gallant Knight of a rather large, squarish  |     Michael E. Cerrato

-hans
  Hans-Gabriel Ridder			Digital Equipment Corporation
  ridder@elvira.enet.dec.com		Customer Support Center
  ...decwrl!elvira.enet!ridder		Colorado Springs, CO

crazyrat@disk.uucp (@jap) (04/20/91)

In article <22147@shlump.nac.dec.com>, kendrix_j@mims.enet.dec.com (John R. Kendrix) writes:

> In article <791.280868f6@zodiac.rutgers.edu>, amatthews@zodiac.rutgers.edu writes...
> >I think Jr-Comm is the nicest term out there, but unfortunately I
> >find that I am unable to use it.  The reason for this is that I
> >use a term program mostly to get on the nets, and whenever I want
>
> Kermit is a real dog for transfering files.  Reason being that it transmits
> it's packets in 128 byte blocks.  Xmodem I believe uses a bit larger package,
> while Zmodem will use 1024 byte pages for transmitting data.

Unfortunately for a mass of us, Zmodem is not an option on our vax.  It seems
that more of the Vax installations these days are operating with an ISN
network developed by AT&T.  This ISN network does not conform to standards
and thus does not do nice things to 'sliding packet' protocol programs
(such as Z,X,Y modem).  Kermit, btw, has had no problems in these aspects.

Our version of Vax Kermit has no problem sending and receiving at 1k packets
and there is a version on our IBM 3090 that supports 2k and 3k packets.  I'm
waiting patiently for these to be added (hopefully) to the vax.

Otherwise, I sit and wait...

@jap

/The waiting pickle/

--
Joel C. Justen      Crazyrat Productions Ltd.
CRAZYRAT@DISK.UUCP  JCJUST01@ulkyvx.BITNET

amatthews@zodiac.rutgers.edu (04/23/91)

Some very nice person told me a while ago that all I had to do was
get Zmodem for the ol' vax, and it was available via FTP.  I've looked
around quite a bit, and have been unable to find it.  Could someone
please tell me where I can find Zmodem for the vax?

				Thanx
				--Alex

goehring@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Scott Goehring) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr19.230557.6361@disk.uucp> crazyrat@disk.uucp (@jap) writes:

   Unfortunately for a mass of us, Zmodem is not an option on our vax.
   It seems that more of the Vax installations these days are
   operating with an ISN network developed by AT&T.  This ISN network
   does not conform to standards and thus does not do nice things to
   'sliding packet' protocol programs (such as Z,X,Y modem).  Kermit,
   btw, has had no problems in these aspects.

we have an ISN terminal switch at purdue.  zmodem works perfectly fine
over it.  true, x and y don't, but z will, assuming your z is
reasonably robust.  i have downloaded many megabytes over the ISN,
both on dialups and over a DOV modem.

to be specific, the ISN is a 7-bit non-transparent (eats DC1 and DC3)
terminal switch.  zmodem, however, knows how to deal with such systems
and does so quite nicely.
--
		  Help stamp out vi in our lifetime!
	Scott Goehring			goehring@mentor.cc.purdue.edu

kendrix_j@mims.enet.dec.com (John R. Kendrix) (04/27/91)

In article <812.28144681@zodiac.rutgers.edu>, amatthews@zodiac.rutgers.edu writes...

In article <1991Apr21.071107.18710@ni.umd.edu>, mike@UC780.UMD.EDU (Mike Santangelo) writes:
> Where can I find ZMODEM for VMS?

This is available by ANON ftp from vms.huji.ac.il PUBLIC$:[COMMUNICATION]

Chuck Forsberg's rz/sz for VAX/VMS has been updated.  The updated
file was obtained directly from Chuck's BBS and is now available
from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [26.2.0.74].

Directory:   PD1:<MISC.VAXVMS>
File name:   RZSZ9104.TLB
Function:    X/Y/Zmodem for VAX/VMS
File type:   VMS Text LIBrary

This is a binary file which should be stored as a 512 byte FIXED
record file with carriage control NONE on VMS.

To extract files from rzsz.tlb, issue the following DCL commands:

$ LIB/EXTRACT=EXTRACT_TLB^COM/OUTPUT=EXTRACT_TLB.COM rzsz.tlb
$ @EXTRACT_TLB rzsz/exit

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]

*********************************

Hope this helps!

JK

* John R. Kendrix                * Disclaimers:  The opinions expressed here   *
* Digital Equipment Corporation  *               aren't likely to be claimed   *
*                                *               by me, much less my employer. *
*                                *                                             *
* Phone:  404-343-1739           * E-Mail:       Kendrix_J@mims.enet.dec.com   *

rick@tmiuv0.uucp (04/29/91)

In article <28053@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, sirotto@MAPLE.CIRCA.UFL.EDU (Michael Cerrato) writes:
> In article <1991Apr16.032313.10991@rock.concert.net>, barber@jazz.concert.net (Scott Barber) writes:
>>standard server commands (FINISH, BYE, GET and SEND).
>
> Please someone, tell me how to use the FINISH command in VLT (I think
> I'm using 4.824 and Kermit 1.5 beta).  I don't know what the offical
> defination of the BYE command is, but at our site, it quits the
> server and logges you out.
>            ___  __
> |\   |\   |    /  \  Internet:          sirotto%maple.decnet@pine.circa.ufl.edu
> | \  | \  |   /      ...!uunet!uflorida!pine.circa.ufl.edu!sirotto%maple.decnet
> |  \ |  \ |--<       Bitnet:    "sirotto%maple.decnet%pine.circa.ufl.edu"@NERVM
> |   \|   \|___\____/
>
> SirOtto -- Gallant Knight of a rather large, squarish  |     Michael E. Cerrato
>   table someplace in the West Panhandle of Florida.    |  University of Florida

Well, essentially, the "finish" command is supposed to stop the remote Kermit
server and return you to its command prompt.  The "bye" command is supposed
to stop the remote Kermit server AND log you out.  Sounds like your version is
running correctly.  The most common variant to this standard are Kermits for
VAXen running VMS.  There, either BYE or FINISH merely stops the kermit
server.  You have to manually QUIT the remote Kermit and manually logout.
--
.--------------------------------------------------------------------------.
|[- O] Rick Stevens                                                        |

rick@tmiuv0.uucp (04/29/91)

In article <22147@shlump.nac.dec.com>, kendrix_j@mims.enet.dec.com (John R. Kendrix) writes:
[...]
> Kermit is a real dog for transfering files.  Reason being that it transmits
> it's packets in 128 byte blocks.  Xmodem I believe uses a bit larger package,
> while Zmodem will use 1024 byte pages for transmitting data.

Actually, Kermit normally defaults to 92-byte packets (user-selectable) and
XModem (aka Christenson protocol) used 128-byte packets (and padded the last
one out to 128 bytes if it was shorter).  YModem is XModem with multiple file
transfers.  ZModem uses 1K packets, as you said.

> Cheers,
>
> JK

> * John R. Kendrix                * Disclaimers:  The opinions expressed here   *
> * Digital Equipment Corporation  *               aren't likely to be claimed   *
> * Customer Support Center        *               by me, much less my employer. *
> * Atlanta Georgia                               *                                             *
> * Phone:  404-343-1739           * E-Mail:       Kendrix_J@mims.enet.dec.com   *
.--------------------------------------------------------------------------.
|[- O] Rick Stevens                                                        |
|  ?   EMail: uunet!zardoz!tmiuv0!rick -or- uunet!zardoz!xyclone!sysop     |
|  V                (rick@tmi.com)              (sysop@ssssc.com)          |
|      CIS: 75006,1355 (75006.1355@compuserve.com from Internet)           |
|           "If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid!"                |

amatthews@zodiac.rutgers.edu (05/03/91)

As far as I could tell, the archive Vlt.zoo on FF451 (128.174.5.59) is
corrupted.  I ftp'd and downloaded it several different ways, but the
last 56K of the file were always missing.  Zoo did manage to extract
everything except the VLT program itself however, so I had all the
necessary libraries, fonts, etc.  Then I just FTP'd the updated
VLT and xprzmodem.library (zmodem) from a20.larc.nasa.gov, put it
all on a disk, and it works great.