[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] PutTrax and BrunoMbox

mwills@x102a (wills ms 01309) (05/02/91)

This is meant as a mild warning to save you the trouble I've had.
Please take it as such.  In fact it pertains more to puttrax than to
the BrunoMbox demo.

This demo is posted in puttrax format.  Be careful when unpacking it.
The puttrax.lzh "dearchiver" has no docs with it.  I ran puttrax with
no arguments to see what it wanted (I know... asking for trouble) and
it gurued after printing a usage "puttrax <filename>" message.

Reboot.  Then the bad part... the command:

	puttrax BrunosMusicbox20019.trax  (for example)

immediately begins writing the contents of the given file, track by
track, to df0:.  No prompts, no "Are you sure?", just trashed workbench!!!

Perhaps there are docs somewhere, but it's a little late for that now.
--

					- Scott
M. Scott Wills,  Mail Stop: 102-4844     INTERNET: mwills@x102a.ess.harris.com

jms@vanth.UUCP (Jim Shaffer) (05/04/91)

In article <6187@trantor.harris-atd.com> mwills@x102a (wills ms 01309) writes:

>no arguments to see what it wanted (I know... asking for trouble) and
>it gurued after printing a usage "puttrax <filename>" message.
>
>	puttrax BrunosMusicbox20019.trax  (for example)
>
>immediately begins writing the contents of the given file, track by
>track, to df0:.  No prompts, no "Are you sure?", just trashed workbench!!!

I've never even heard of puttrax.  I wonder why they just didn't use lhwarp
or something?  Does puttrax have any redeeming features at all?

--
*  From the disk of:  | jms@vanth.uucp		     | "You know I never knew
Jim Shaffer, Jr.      | amix.commodore.com!vanth!jms | that it could be so

dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) (05/07/91)

In article <6187@trantor.harris-atd.com> mwills@x102a (wills ms 01309) writes:
>This is meant as a mild warning to save you the trouble I've had.
>Please take it as such.  In fact it pertains more to puttrax than to
>the BrunoMbox demo.

  The Bruno demo only had two of six songs that actually worked, and since
it was non-standard disk format, I can't install them on my hard drive, and
will never listen to it again (there was one really good song, though!).

>This demo is posted in puttrax format.  Be careful when unpacking it.
>The puttrax.lzh "dearchiver" has no docs with it.  I ran puttrax with
>no arguments to see what it wanted (I know... asking for trouble) and
>it gurued after printing a usage "puttrax <filename>" message.

  Mine gave a task-held error every time, but I never press the CANCEL/RETRY
buttons anyway, so I kept on truckin'!

>Reboot.  Then the bad part... the command:
>
>	puttrax BrunosMusicbox20019.trax  (for example)
>
>immediately begins writing the contents of the given file, track by
>track, to df0:.  No prompts, no "Are you sure?", just trashed workbench!!!

  I don't even HAVE a df0:, so I had to take my computer apart and install
an internal floppy. I tried to NewZap for a df0: sequence, but obviously
it wasn't there.

>Perhaps there are docs somewhere, but it's a little late for that now.
>--
>
>					- Scott
>M. Scott Wills,  Mail Stop: 102-4844     INTERNET: mwills@x102a.ess.harris.com
>Harris Corporation                       UUCP:     uunet!x102a!mwills
>Government Aerospace Systems Division    CCMail:   harris.mwills1
>P.O. Box 94000                           FAX:	   407-729-3211
>Melbourne, Florida 32902                 Voice:    407-729-3283

           David Tiberio  SUNY Stony Brook 2-3481  AMIGA  DDD-MEN
   "If you think that we're here for the money, we could live without it.
     But the world isn't too good here, and it wasn't always like that."
                   Un ragazzo di Casalbordino, Italia.

mwills@x102a (wills ms 01309) (05/08/91)

In <1991May7.151955.8796@sbcs.sunysb.edu> dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:

>  The Bruno demo only had two of six songs that actually worked, and since
>it was non-standard disk format, I can't install them on my hard drive, and
>will never listen to it again (there was one really good song, though!).

After discovering how to use puttrax I got all the tunes except
"Movement 77" (as noted in the README file) to play and they are
exceptional!  The program does not use a standard disk format, takes
over the machine (not a multitasker), and sends my video into a nasty
mode as it boots and when loading a new tune from the disk.

The video behavior is distrubing, looking as if it will guru, or
perhaps damage something, then suddenly recovering and moving on to
some interesting graphics and scrolling text that repeat while the
songs are playing.  Note that you'll need a joystick to select new
songs (look for instructions in the wavy scrolling text... If anyone
can translate the non-English text, I'd like to know what it says).

>>This demo is posted in puttrax format.  Be careful when unpacking it.

>  Mine gave a task-held error every time, but I never press the CANCEL/RETRY
>buttons anyway, so I kept on truckin'!

>>	puttrax BrunosMusicbox20019.trax  (for example)
>>
>>immediately begins writing the contents of the given file, track by
>>track, to df0:.  No prompts, no "Are you sure?", just trashed workbench!!!

If you use the puttrax format files of the original demo, you must
give the filename EXACTLY or meet the guru.  Luckily, the tunes are
also available in mod format on ab20 in the amiga/music/modules/st-nt
directory.  I've enclosed the associated readme, although I haven't
tried these out yet.  The mods are probably the easier route, but
you'll miss a nice demo if you don't try the musicbox itself...  Still,
I would recommend caution considering the odd video bahavior.

In Brunomods.readme, jimb@faatcrl.uucp (James S. Burwell) writes:

% Here are some modules I ripped from "Bruno's Music Box II" music
% demo disk.  As far as I can tell from the Demo, Bruno is a member of
% the group "Gate",from Finland.
%
% There are actually supposed to be seven modules, but there were some bad
% sectors on the disk.  Missing is a module called "Movement 77".
%
% Anyway, these modules are some of the best I've heard, despite the fact
% that Bruno calls it "a collection of pathetic noise".  DON'T  believe that!
% If this is "pathetic noise", I'd LOVE to hear his good stuff :-).
%
%
% Here's are some sort, extremely subjective descriptions:
%
%
% mod.blueprint - Tangerine Dreamesque, with a funky beat to it.  Great
%                 percussion (but that's common to all of these mods!).
%
% mod.free_from_guitar - Cool jam out kinda song.  Awesome keyboards.  Cool
%                        horns.  Reminds me off old Jazz bands.  Piano solos
%                        are wonderful.
%
% mod.hits-90 - This is the "Intro-song" for the music-demo-disk.
%               Humourous.  A wee bit deranged in places though.  :-)
%
% mod.listen - Great song with COOL guitar rhythm/solos.  Sounds like a very
%              funky jam-session.  Jazzy horns too!
%
% mod.moon_gate - Very Tangerine Dreamesque.  Is this a Tangerine Dream song
%                 which I havn't heard yet ?  Could be.  They have SO many
%                 albums!
%
% mod.oneway - Keyboard jam-out with a powerful beat/bassline.  Pretty melody
%              with Keys/chorus voices towards the middle.
%
%
% Too bad I've never been able to hear "Movement 77".  If anyone has info on
% where I can get that, or any other Bruno music, please mail me some info.
%
% ---
% jimb@faatcrl.uucp (James S. Burwell)
% Saturday 23-Feb-91

podop03@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Kriston J. Rehberg) (05/08/91)

In article <6227@trantor.harris-atd.com>, mwills@x102a (wills ms 01309) writes:
|>In <1991May7.151955.8796@sbcs.sunysb.edu>
dtiberio@eeserv1.ic.sunysb.edu (David Tiberio) writes:

|>The video behavior is distrubing, looking as if it will guru, or
|>perhaps damage something, then suddenly recovering and moving on to
|>some interesting graphics and scrolling text that repeat while the
|>songs are playing.  Note that you'll need a joystick to select new
|>songs (look for instructions in the wavy scrolling text... If anyone
|>can translate the non-English text, I'd like to know what it says).

The flashing you refer to is the decompression routine.  It lets you
know that it hasn't died.  They used to do this on the Commodore 64.

|>----------------------------------------------------------------------
---------
|>M. Scott Wills,  Mail Stop: 102-4844     INTERNET:
mwills@x102a.ess.harris.com
|>Harris Corporation                       UUCP:     uunet!x102a!mwills
|>Government Aerospace Systems Division    CCMail:   harris.mwills1
|>P.O. Box 94000                           FAX:	   407-729-3211
|>Melbourne, Florida 32902                 Voice:    407-729-3283
---------

Best of luck,

|Kriston J. Rehberg,  Student Operator, S.U.N.Y. Binghamton Computer Services |
|PODOP03@BINGVAXA.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU (VAX/VMS 5.4) |Opinions expressed here are|
|TJW3124@BINGTJW.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU (VM/IS CMS)    |my own and do not represent|
|BG7523@BINGVMA.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU (VM/SP CMS)     |those of this organization |
+-----> Only Amiga makes it possible! <-----------+--------------------- ;-b -+