[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] MODULATION AND NOISE TUTORIAL

dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) (05/12/91)

In article <1252@cnw01.storesys.coles.oz.au> iann@cnw01.storesys.coles.oz.au (Ian Nicholls) writes:
>In <dillon.7375@overload.Berkeley.CA.US> dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) writes:
>
>>    A normal phone line has a bandwidth of around 38KBaud.  As any
>>    RF/electrical engineer will tell you, it's nearly impossible to utilize
>>    all the available bandwidth of a medium.  It's hard enough to utilize
>>    half of it, which is what 9600bps (V.32) modems do now (9600bps full
>>    duplex = 19.2KB bandwidth).  The best you will ever see on a phone line
>>    is probably around 19.2KB uncompressed.
>
>I thought that the higher speed modems used a different baud from bps.
>
>That is, a 2400 bps modem still sends at 1200 baud, it just sends two bits
>at a time (by phase-shifting; each state uses a different quarter-phase ).
>
>The 9600 buad modems use some sort of trellis encoding, so that sixteen
>states can exist, meaning four bits at a time get sent, but still at 2400
>baud (states per second).
>
>From this basis, higher speeds can be possible with a more sensitive
>discriminator circuit, to detect more states.  I don't know what the
>ultimate speed would be, but it won't be cheap.
>
>My reference is the Byte magazine, sometime in the past three years.  You'll
>have to look up an index if you want the exact issue.
>--
>"If it's OK to start by stealing pencils, where then do we draw the line?"
>Ian Nicholls         Phone : +61 3 829 6088   Fax: +61 3 829 6886    \_o_/
>Coles/Myer Ltd.      E-mail: iann@cnw01.storesys.coles.oz.au         \\|
>L1 M11, PO Box 480, Glen Iris 3146, Australia                         \\

    This is a common mistake many people make.  Actually, it might be
    partially my fault, I have a tendancy to call the maximum theoretical
    'bits per second' rate over a medium 'bandwidth', which has nothing
    to do with frequency bandwidth.

    Basically there are two factors that limit the amount of data you can
    get through any given medium:

        (1) frequency bandwidth of the medium .. on the order of 3KHz
            for a phone line, more if you equalize it.

        (2) noise on the medium

    There is a theoretical minimum noise governed by Boltzmann's noise
    equation, energy = 4KTdF (4 * Boltzmann's constant * temp. in kelvin *
    frequency bandwidth).  At 3KHz and room temp. this is 50nV at 50ohms
    impedence. However, no circuit is ever this good.  (now you know why
    the receiver for radio telescopes is generally submerged in liquid
    nitrogen or liquid helium).

    Generally noise is described in terms of the signal to noise ratio, or
    SNR... basically the amount of signal over the amount of noise in dB. A
    phone line has around a 30dB SNR == 1000:1 signal over noise.

    There is a formula, called Shannon's "capacity" formula which takes
    both bandwidth and S/N into account.

        C = W Log2(1 + S/N)

        C   = capacity, bits per second
        W   = bandwidth
        S/N = signal over noise.  30dB == 1000 S/N (dB = 10 log S/N)

    At W=3KHz, S/N=1000 you get around 30Kbps.  This is a good
    approximation of the theoretical maximum possible over a line with the
    above characteristics.  Note that as your signal-to-noise gets better,
    it is possible to get more out of the same frequency bandwidth, but you
    can never get better than Boltzmann's equation over a wire due to the
    inherent noise that exists at the atomic level.

    A typical CD player has an SNR of around 140dB.  Humans cannot generally
    hear noise below 90db (p.s. theoretical nuts, I am not putting in
    minus signs for this tutorial).

    But, as I said, 30Kbps for 3KHz bandwidth and 30dB SNR is the
    theoretical maximum... it's nearly impossible to device a circuit
    that is actually able to UTILIZE a channel to that point.  Typically,
    it is cost effective to get a little over half way there or on the
    order of 19.2Kbps.

    Now, there are several methods used to utilize more of your bandwidth
    without falling into the noise.  The best one found so far is what is
    known as phase modulation.  that is, you have a modem at some carrier
    frequency and instead of switching frequencies to pass information
    (FSK) you simply change the phase of the carrier (PSK).  The rate at
    which you change the phase is called the BAUD, and the number of
    possible phase changes per baud determines the number of BITS PER BAUD.
    The BAUD is not necessarily related to the carrier frequency but is
    generally some integral multiple of it.

    Thus, a modem using a 2400 Hz carrier that changes the phase once per
    cycle runs at 2400 BAUD.  If the modem is only able to change the phase
    180 degrees (two possible phases), then only one bit per baud is
    transmitted.  (p.s. these are contrived examples and do not reflect the
    actual algorithm used in 2400bps or greater modems)

    If, on the other hand, a modem is able to change the phase to an
    arbitrary 90 degree vector (0, 90, 180, 270), that's four possible
    symbols or 2 BITS PER BAUD, or 4800bps.

    So, you might ask, what prevents you from using 256 difference phases?
    The answer is that both FREQUENCY BANDWIDTH and NOISE limit how fast
    you can change phase.  If you take a fourier series of two cycles with
    a phase change in the middle you will see what I mean.  Changing phase
    basically glitches the output through, in the case of a phone line, a
    3Khz low pass filter which will stretch some parts of the glitch,
    meaning that it takes more time to stabilize to the new phase even
    though it is at the same frequency.  You can think of your frequency
    bandwidth (3KHz) as limiting the carrier frequency (2400Hz in my
    example).

    NOISE limits the number of phases you can have more directly.  If you
    choose, say, 16 phases (4 bits per baud) and look at the zero crossing,
    you will note that they get pretty close together (take one cycle
    and mark it into 16 sections).

                     *********
                   ** **  **  ...
          /-------*  *      *
       dV |      *  *        *
          |     *  *          *
          \----*--*---------------------------------

    To be able to discriminate between the above two phases, the amount of
    noise cannot be greater than 1/2 dV, otherwise you can get a zero
    crossing due to noise and not be able to tell which phase is the
    right one.

    So there you have it.  Frequency bandwidth limits the carrier
    frequency. A 3Khz bandwidth does NOT mean you can have a 3KHz carrier,
    by the way, you need enough slop so the high frequency elements created
    by the phase change will stabilize within one cycle of the carrier (or
    however many cycles you choose for your 'BAUD', it need not be one),
    and noise also limits the number of phases the receiver will be able
    to discern without error.

    In terms of bandwidth usage, phase modulation does a much better job
    than FSK which is why higher speed modems use it.  This is simple
    to test... pick up the receiver of your phone connected to your modem
    while connected at 300 baud.  What do you hear?  A tone... obviously
    not much bandwidth is being used since a tone has a single term in
    a fourier series.  FSK utilizes two frequencies and a few other
    elements due to switching between them.

    Now connect at 2400bps and pick up the receiver.  What do you hear?
    Well, it sounds sort of like white noise.  A 9600bps modem will sound
    even MORE like white noise.  Why?  What is the frequency spectrum of
    white noise?  Yup, you got it... uniform energy over the entire
    bandwidth.

    In otherwords, more of the available bandwidth is being used to carry
    data.

    The ultimate goal of modem modulation techniques is to use as much of
    the available bandwidth as possible.  V.32 uses half the theoretical
    bandwidth (19.2Kbps full duplex = 9600bps in each direction) and it
    isn't easy.

    --

    This should also answer questions anybody has on leased lines and other
    dedicated lines.  Generally you can get MUCH greater bandwidth and LESS

    --

    P.S. for all you RF engineers at there, keep in mind that I'm trying to
    make this a tutorial and am NOT bringing up problems associated with

                                            -Matt

--

    Matthew Dillon          dillon@Overload.Berkeley.CA.US
    891 Regal Rd.           uunet.uu.net!overload!dillon