[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] minitel

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J Eric Townsend) (05/15/91)

In article <405@netxcom.netx.com> elw@netxcom.netx.com (Edwin Wiles) writes:
>Effectively, that's what the French did with their "Datatel" system.  (Did I
>get the name right?)  Only they used something like 300 baud from computer
>to terminal and 30 the other way.

It was Minitel, and they used a 1200/75 modem.  In the states, there's
a similiar service called US Minitel that uses the same hardware/software
(used to be, you would occasionally get error messages in French!).

The terminal sucks, when compared to a computer, but compared to
nothing (or a TI 99/4A), it isn't too bad.

--
J. Eric Townsend - jet@uh.edu - bitnet: jet@UHOU - vox: (713) 749-2126
Skate UNIX or bleed, boyo...(UNIX is a trademark of Unix Systems Laboratories).