[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] Setting up DNet

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Schaumann) (05/16/91)

I am trying to set up DNet between my Amiga and the Unix box at school.
As far as I can tell, I have everything set up right.  I type

run DNET -X -b2400 -P0 -Z0 -m0

This seems right, since I have a 2400 baud modem, and I usually have a 8N1
connection to the school's computer.

Everything is ok so far.  The window pops up, I connect with the school's
computer, and log in.  Then, on the Unix box, I type

dnet -m0

As advertized, the window goes away, and I get an fterm window, with a
message saying something about waiting for a connection.  Unfortunately,
after a few seconds, this window goes away, and nothing further happens.

Also, I have a question about fterm: what sort of terminal emulation does
it do?  If I can't use GnuEmacs with it, this would greatly limit DNet's
usefulness to me.  Please tell me there is a way to use full-screen editors
with DNet...

Thanks in advance for any help.

--
Dave Schaumann      | There is no cause so right that one cannot find a fool
dave@cs.arizona.edu | following it.	- Niven's Law # 16

In article <1515@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Schaumann) writes:

>I am trying to set up DNet between my Amiga and the Unix box at school.
>As far as I can tell, I have everything set up right.  I type
>
>run DNET -X -b2400 -P0 -Z0 -m0

Well, I also tried

run DNET -8 -X -b2400 -P0 -Z0 -m0

But that didn't change anything.  I did discover, however that "loadav",
"getfiles" and "putfiles" seem to work (although I didn't try transferring
a binary file).

One of the README files suggests the following possibilies for the fterm
program not connecting:

  a) You don't have an 8-bit connection between your Amiga and the Unix
     Host

  This is possible, although I specified an 8-bit connection, and I normally
  use (with JR-Comm) an 8-bit connection

  b) You didn't set up the DNETDIR variable properly.
  c) You didn't copy dnet.servers into $DNETDIR
  d) The absolute file path in dnet.servers for server #8192 [sic] is
     not correct.

  I believe I have all these covered, assuming that the server # in
  this file is a typo, and should really be #8193...

Is there any other reason fterm wouldn't connect?  I'll double check these
other answers, but I'm not sure they'll yeild the problem...

Thanks in advance,

--

rkent@sparc1.sparc1.csubak.edu (Rick Kent) (05/16/91)

In article <1515@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Schaumann) writes:

>I am trying to set up DNet between my Amiga and the Unix box at school.
>As far as I can tell, I have everything set up right.  I type
>
>run DNET -X -b2400 -P0 -Z0 -m0
>
>This seems right, since I have a 2400 baud modem, and I usually have a 8N1
>connection to the school's computer.
>
>Everything is ok so far.  The window pops up, I connect with the school's
>computer, and log in.  Then, on the Unix box, I type
>
>dnet -m0
>
>As advertized, the window goes away, and I get an fterm window, with a
>message saying something about waiting for a connection.  Unfortunately,
>after a few seconds, this window goes away, and nothing further happens.

Not sure why you are having the problem, but I know it took me awhile
to get it working correctly myself.  With Jr-Com I normally call our
Sun Sparc system (SUN OS 4.0?) using 7E1, and the line I use currently
to call the Sun is "run dnet -b2400 -P0 -Z2".  Once I log in, I then
just type "dnet" to start up DNET at the Unix end.  Until I got these
paramaters right I had the same sort of problem you are having.

>Also, I have a question about fterm: what sort of terminal emulation does
>it do?  If I can't use GnuEmacs with it, this would greatly limit DNet's
>usefulness to me.  Please tell me there is a way to use full-screen editors
>with DNet...

As far as I can tell so far it appears that fterm doesn't give you any
emulation other than just a standard TTY connection.  There is no vt100
emulation so you can't use any of the full screen editors (at least not
to my knowledge).  Because of this I am possibly considering writing a
new fterm that has vt100 emulation.  I'm currently playing around with
programming some DNET client/servers just to see what I can do.  One of
the first client/server projects I intend to write is an ftp-like file
transfer client.  I'm just now getting comfortable with some of the
DNET programming, so It'll probably be at least several weeks before I
have something close to finished.  If I actually get something working
decently that has any real value I'll post a message here and then
upload it to ab20.larc.nasa.gov.

--
Rick Kent                                              // Only
California State University, Bakersfield             \X/  Amiga!

tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) (05/16/91)

rkent@sparc1.sparc1.csubak.edu (Rick Kent) writes:
> >what sort of terminal emulation does it do?  If I can't use
> >GnuEmacs with it, this would greatly limit DNet's usefulness to me.
>
> As far as I can tell so far it appears that fterm doesn't give you any
> emulation other than just a standard TTY connection.

The `emulation' is that of an Amiga RAW: window.  Several termcap
files for this terminal type have been posted in the past (including
one in comp.sources.amiga), and an amiga termcap/terminfo entry is
even included in SunOS 4 (if you're on a Sun...)

> There is no vt100 emulation so you can't use any of the full screen
> editors (at least not to my knowledge).

Niftyterm, recently posted to comp.binaries.amiga supposedly does
VT102, VT52 and H19 emulation, and I believe it still works with DNet
(though it has been extended to work standalone)...

> One of the first client/server projects I intend to write is an
> ftp-like file transfer client.

Cool!

	...tad

walterb@cray.com (Walter Boese) (05/17/91)

From what I have seen while using dnet with the fterm window, I set
my terminal type to vt100 and go for it.  Haven't had any problems with
dnet not understanding and of the vt100 codes used my vi or curses.
I'm not saying it has vt100 emulation, just that it seems to work that way.
Walter Boese    walterb@sequoia.cray.com

rg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Rick Francis Golembiewski) (05/18/91)

If you want REAL vt100 (and h19) terminal emulation try using
niftyterm, it was designed as a replacement for fterm with terminal
emulation.

//     Rick Golembiewski  rg20+@andrew.cmu.edu  \\
\\       #include stddisclaimer.h               //
 \\  "I never respected a man who could spell" //
  \\               -M. Twain                  //

kengo@rpi.edu (Kenneth M Goldenberg) (05/19/91)

rg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Rick Francis Golembiewski) writes:

>If you want REAL vt100 (and h19) terminal emulation try using
>niftyterm, it was designed as a replacement for fterm with terminal
>emulation.

Where can this critter be found?  I, for one, never heard of it... but would
love to aquire it.

                             -Mitch

--
 ken_goldenberg@rpitsmts.bitnet  |"You know better than to trust a strange
 kengo@rpi.edu                   | computer"

rg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Rick Francis Golembiewski) (05/19/91)

Niftyterm was posted to comp.binaries.amiga just rescently

v91i144: niftyterm 1.2 - H19/VT102/VT52 emulator

I also believe that there is a verison on one of the later fish disks,
you should be able to find it on ab20 (although I'm not definate on
this one).

black@beno.CSS.GOV (Mike Black) (05/19/91)

In article <vnah74-@rpi.edu> kengo@rpi.edu (Kenneth M Goldenberg) writes:

>>If you want REAL vt100 (and h19) terminal emulation try using
>>niftyterm, it was designed as a replacement for fterm with terminal
>>emulation.
>
>Where can this critter be found?  I, for one, never heard of it... but would
>love to aquire it.

Try wuarchive.wustl.edu:usenet/comp.binaries.amiga/volume91/communications

There's version 1.0 and 1.2 there.

Mike...
: usenet: black@beno.CSS.GOV   :  land line: 407-494-5853  : I want a computer:
: real home: Melbourne, FL     :  home line: 407-242-8619  : that does it all!: