[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] !!!!!!!HELP!!!!!!

<U43428@uicvm.uic.edu> (05/21/91)

Hello fellow Amiga users. I have resently purchased an A500 and having a few
problems to go along with it. I have the Jr Comm terminal program and I was
wondering if there was an way that I might be able to transfer text files
between my school main frame account and my Amiga. The computer center on
campus said that I would need somthing called Amiga Kermit. I have looked for
this terminal program for quit sometime now but have found no luck. If any of
the more advanced Amiga users out there have an advice for me please reply.

                                           THANKS- NITAN PARIKH (UIC)

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Schaumann) (05/21/91)

In article <91140.181916U43428@uicvm.uic.edu> U43428@uicvm.uic.edu writes:

>Hello fellow Amiga users. I have resently purchased an A500 and having a few
>problems to go along with it. I have the Jr Comm terminal program and I was
>wondering if there was an way that I might be able to transfer text files
>between my school main frame account and my Amiga. The computer center on
>campus said that I would need somthing called Amiga Kermit. I have looked for
>this terminal program for quit sometime now but have found no luck. If any of
>the more advanced Amiga users out there have an advice for me please reply.

Well, if you must use Kermit, you can't use JR-Comm (at the moment -- you
will be able to do Kermit transfers in an upcoming revision).  There is a
VT100 emulator cleverly called "VT100" available on Fish disk #330 which
does support Kermit transfers.

Alternatively (and preferrably, IMHO), you should see if your machine supports
ZModem (much faster than Kermit).  JR-Comm does support ZModem very nicely.
Usually, if you have ZModem, it will be supported with the commands "sz" (for
Send Zmodem) and "rz" (for Receive Zmodem).  If your machine doesn't have
sz and rz resident, you may still be able to install it in your personal
binaries, as the source is available for a variety of machines.  (However,
I believe that ZModem requires an 8-bit data path).

--
Dave Schaumann      | There is no cause so right that one cannot find a fool
dave@cs.arizona.edu | following it.	- Niven's Law # 16

v125lqbx@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (Brian T McColpin) (05/22/91)

In article <1525@caslon.cs.arizona.edu>, dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Schaumann) writes...
>In article <91140.181916U43428@uicvm.uic.edu> U43428@uicvm.uic.edu writes:
>>
>>Hello fellow Amiga users. I have resently purchased an A500 and having a few
>>problems to go along with it. I have the Jr Comm terminal program and I was
>>wondering if there was an way that I might be able to transfer text files
>>between my school main frame account and my Amiga. The computer center on
>>campus said that I would need somthing called Amiga Kermit. I have looked for
>>this terminal program for quit sometime now but have found no luck. If any of
>>the more advanced Amiga users out there have an advice for me please reply.
>
>Well, if you must use Kermit, you can't use JR-Comm (at the moment -- you

You could use Handshake, which has Kermit built in.  Or alternatively, you
could just use the ascii send/capture features of just about any terminal
program.  This is not totally stable, as it does no error checking, is
subject to line noise and accidental messages (such as getting a "received
mail" message while you're transfering a file, and having that end up as part
of the captured text - very annoying. :-)

But if you want to play it safe, get a terminal program that has Kermit
built in.  Handshake does, and I think several others do so as well.
Maybe the fellow who designed JRCOMM didn't take into account just how
backward many computer sites still are, using antiquated protocols
like Kermit...  :-)

elg@elgamy.RAIDERNET.COM (Eric Lee Green) (05/22/91)

From article <91140.181916U43428@uicvm.uic.edu>, by U43428@uicvm.uic.edu:
> between my school main frame account and my Amiga. The computer center on
> campus said that I would need somthing called Amiga Kermit. I have looked for

I'm assuming that you're stuck with hooking up to an IBM mainframe,
since your id says "uicvm" (IBM VM/CMS, right?). The best terminal
program I've found for hooking up to an IBM mainframe is HandShake, which
has a very IBM-compatible Kermit module. The 1K-packet-length Kermit in
"VT100" disagreed with our IBM mainframe at USL. Handshake also does a
reasonably good VT100 emulation, which is important for hooking up to a 7171
protocol converter or some other fake-3070 kludge.

--
Eric Lee Green   (318) 984-1820  P.O. Box 92191  Lafayette, LA 70509
elg@elgamy.RAIDERNET.COM               uunet!mjbtn!raider!elgamy!elg

CV-Aviator@cup.portal.com (John T Parker) (05/23/91)

>Hello fellow Amiga users. I have resently purchased an A500 and having a few
>problems to go along with it. I have the Jr Comm terminal program and I was
>wondering if there was an way that I might be able to transfer text files
>between my school main frame account and my Amiga. The computer center on
>campus said that I would need somthing called Amiga Kermit. I have looked for
>this terminal program for quit sometime now but have found no luck. If any of
>the more advanced Amiga users out there have an advice for me please reply.
>
>                                           THANKS- NITAN PARIKH (UIC)

Greetings !
   I ran across the same problem awhile back and found a great
solution, so long as only text files need to be transfered. When
time came to upload a text file to school, I would log onto the
school computer then enter the editer. I would then do an
ASCII send of my text file to the school. This sends the file
just like you would type it in yourself only faster.
  On the JrComm menu, you may need to slow down the rate at which
the characters are sent depending on how fast the editer can receive
the letters. You can change the transfer speed using the parameters
menu for ASCII send.
  I use this all the time to send fortran listings to the school.

                              Good Luck

|  John Parker                                                 |
|  Internet:   CV-Aviator@cup.portal.com                       |
|  Bitnet:     8242p@Navpgs.Bitnet                             |
|  Compuserve: 76116,772                                       |