[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] Kermit: HOW?

That neat guy, Mark Sachs <MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu> (05/19/91)

I need to know how to use Kermit to download (binary) files from a
UNIX mainframe to my Amiga. I've been struggling with this for a while
with no luck... probably partially due to the fact that I'm using an
evil horrible VT100 emulator terminal program (called VT100/TEK4014
v2.65). This thing has no documentation and locks up whenever I
actually try to use the Kermit stuff (requiring a reboot AND a manual
disconnect of the modem...) However, it is the only term prog I've seen
which does acknowledge the existence of the Kermit protocol. Is there
some other term I should be looking at, or am I going at this all wrong?
(Rumor has it that KERMIT should actually be a seperate program?)
If someone can give me detailed help with this, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks.

Oh, BTW, if it matters, I'm dialed in to the mainframe (via a dialup to
the local university, a dataswitch, and then the telnet system) from my
home.

/Mark "Remixed for Common Household Appliances" Sachs IS: MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu\
| STEVEVAX Administration HQ, World Domination & Bake Sales Ltd.  ||  //AMIGA||
| DISCLAIMER: It's NOT MY FAULT. Kei and Yuri forced me to say it.||\X/ Power||
\== "I think this calls for some diabolical laughter! RAAH HA HA HA HA HA!" ==/

storm@salyko.doit.sub.org (Michael Wiedmer) (05/23/91)

MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu (That neat guy, Mark Sachs) writes:

>I need to know how to use Kermit to download (binary) files from a
>UNIX mainframe to my Amiga. I've been struggling with this for a while
>with no luck... probably partially due to the fact that I'm using an
>evil horrible VT100 emulator terminal program (called VT100/TEK4014
>v2.65). This thing has no documentation and locks up whenever I
>actually try to use the Kermit stuff (requiring a reboot AND a manual
>disconnect of the modem...) However, it is the only term prog I've seen
>which does acknowledge the existence of the Kermit protocol. Is there
>some other term I should be looking at, or am I going at this all wrong?
>(Rumor has it that KERMIT should actually be a seperate program?)
>If someone can give me detailed help with this, I'd appreciate it.
>Thanks.

>Oh, BTW, if it matters, I'm dialed in to the mainframe (via a dialup to
>the local university, a dataswitch, and then the telnet system) from my
>home.

>/Mark "Remixed for Common Household Appliances" Sachs IS: MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu\
>| STEVEVAX Administration HQ, World Domination & Bake Sales Ltd.  ||  //AMIGA||
>| DISCLAIMER: It's NOT MY FAULT. Kei and Yuri forced me to say it.||\X/ Power||
>\== "I think this calls for some diabolical laughter! RAAH HA HA HA HA HA!" ==/

Check out NComm 1.92, or use C-Kermit to get these things working.

There _might_ be the problem that you have a 7bit datalink to your
UNIX-System but a 8bit file transfer link.
Compare both settings of the Kermit Protocol.
Another way would be to get hold of the rz and sz file transfer
protocolls implementing both, Y and Z-Modem.

Hope I could help,

     Michael

--

|                                            |         Could this       |