[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] Alternatives to Commodore's Tcp/IP software???

jeremym@chopin.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) (05/24/91)

I'm getting ethernet connected, and am going to get
Dale Luck's GFXBase X-Client thingiemabob...

I don't howver want to pay commodore for their mistake
of NOT including software with their A2065 board.

 So.. I want PD software that WILL WORK with The GFXbase
and the A2065 board.

And... while we're onthe subject.. what software do I need
to run my very own amiga FTP cite for all of you? Hey, I have
50 megs to play with.. lets do it!

--
E Pluribus //  Contacts: jeremym@brahms.udel.edu or jeremym@chopin.udel.edu or
  Unix    //		 jeremym@freezer.acs.udel.edu -amiga clasic 2000-

In article <17180@chopin.udel.edu> jeremym@chopin.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) writes:
>I'm getting ethernet connected, and am going to get
>Dale Luck's GFXBase X-Client thingiemabob...
>
>I don't howver want to pay commodore for their mistake
>of NOT including software with their A2065 board.
>
> So.. I want PD software that WILL WORK with The GFXbase
>and the A2065 board.

	What's the difference if Commodore included the software
in the package at the combined price instead? Would that make you
happier? I don't get the point. It is fine to say that it costs
too much, but bundling or not bundling is pretty much irrelevant.

>--
>E Pluribus //  Contacts: jeremym@brahms.udel.edu or jeremym@chopin.udel.edu or
>  Unix    //		 jeremym@freezer.acs.udel.edu -amiga clasic 2000-
>      \\ // 	          --->Monitor of comp.sys.amiga.emulations<---
>       \X/           I need a gob-stopper to keep my trap shut. - Squeeze

	-- Ethan

Now the world has gone to bed,		Now I lay me down to sleep,
Darkness won't engulf my head,		Try to count electric sheep,
I can see by infrared,			Sweet dream wishes you can keep,
How I hate the night.			How I hate the night.   -- Marvin

caw@miroc.Chi.IL.US (Christopher A. Wichura) (05/24/91)

In article <17180@chopin.udel.edu> jeremym@chopin.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) writes:
>I don't howver want to pay commodore for their mistake
>of NOT including software with their A2065 board.

I don't know that it's really a mistake.  Ethernet is just the underlying
hardware transport mechanism on which several protocol packages can be run,
such as TCP/IP and DECNET.  By not bundling software with the card, they've
made it possible for someone to get the hardware and then the software
package they need (like TCP/IP from C= or DECNET from Syndesis, for example).

Now what I want is for C= to make a bitchin' Zorro III Ethernet card...

-=> CAW

Christopher A. Wichura                Multitasking.  Just DO it.
caw@miroc.chi.il.us  (my amiga)                          ...the Amiga way...
u12401@uicvm.uic.edu (school account)

martin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Martin Hunt) (05/25/91)

In article <17180@chopin.udel.edu> jeremym@chopin.udel.edu (Jeremy A Moskowitz) writes:
>I'm getting ethernet connected, and am going to get
>Dale Luck's GFXBase X-Client thingiemabob...
>
>I don't howver want to pay commodore for their mistake
>of NOT including software with their A2065 board.

The TCP/IP software cost Commodore a lot of money.  Would
you rather make everyone pay $500 for a package including
the software?  This would certainly kill off any third-party
networking software vendors...

> So.. I want PD software that WILL WORK with The GFXbase
>and the A2065 board.

There isn't any currently.  Maybe someone can port the KA9Q
stuff to work with SANA.

GfxBase's X works with the Commodore AS225 software and Syndesis
Decnet.

>And... while we're onthe subject.. what software do I need
>to run my very own amiga FTP cite for all of you? Hey, I have
>50 megs to play with.. lets do it!

You need an FTP server.  Included with the AS225 package.