[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] VLT problem

cs441215@umbc5.umbc.edu (cs441215) (03/07/91)

Does anyone know why, when I move around the screen in Emacs on the school
ultrix system with the left and right curser keys, random characters
disappear behind the curser?  This never happened with JRcomm or Handshake.
Do I have something set wrong, or am I going to have to undelete handshake?

Thanks!
Larry

WGLP09@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (03/07/91)

When random characters disappear in Emacs using VLT you probably have
the destructive backspace option set. Switch it off and see if it works
better.

       Willy.
----------
Willy Langeveld - Bitnet: WGLP09 @ SLACVM - BIX: langeveld

aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Sriram Ramkrishna) (03/07/91)

In <5307@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> cs441215@umbc5.umbc.edu (cs441215) writes:

>Does anyone know why, when I move around the screen in Emacs on the school
>ultrix system with the left and right curser keys, random characters
>disappear behind the curser?  This never happened with JRcomm or Handshake.
>Do I have something set wrong, or am I going to have to undelete handshake?

This occurs because of incomplete VT100 emulation, OR it could also mean that
you have destructive backspace.  Actually I'm not really sure about the
backspace.  My experience was always that the emulation was at fault.  Testing
vt100 on a UNIX system using VI is the best method for testing complete
VT100 emulation...anyways, I am sure someone will eventually post a more
correct answer than mine.  Cheers!

	Sri   (aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu)

fmcphers@geech.ai.mit.edu (frank mcpherson) (03/07/91)

| In <5307@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> cs441215@umbc5.umbc.edu (cs441215) writes:
| >Does anyone know why, when I move around the screen in Emacs on the school
| >ultrix system with the left and right curser keys, random characters
| >disappear behind the curser?  This never happened with JRcomm or Handshake.

| This occurs because of incomplete VT100 emulation, OR it could also mean that
| you have destructive backspace.  Actually I'm not really sure about the
| backspace.  My experience was always that the emulation was at fault.  Testin
| vt100 on a UNIX system using VI is the best method for testing complete
| VT100 emulation...anyways, I am sure someone will eventually post a more
| correct answer than mine.  Cheers!
|
|         Sri   (aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu)

I'm using VLT with emacs to post this article, and am having no problems
moving around the screen.  I was experiencing those same problems until I
turned destructive backspace off.  The problems have gone away, leading me
to believe that Destructive Backspace was the cause of our troubles.  The
control for turning it off can be found in the Operation menu.

--
-- Frank McPherson     INTERNET: emcphers@fox.cs.vt.edu --

In article <7443@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Sriram Ramkrishna) writes:
>In <5307@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> cs441215@umbc5.umbc.edu (cs441215) writes:
>

>>Does anyone know why, when I move around the screen in Emacs on the school
>>ultrix system with the left and right curser keys, random characters
>>disappear behind the curser?  This never happened with JRcomm or Handshake.
>>Do I have something set wrong, or am I going to have to undelete handshake?
>
>This occurs because of incomplete VT100 emulation, OR it could also mean that
>you have destructive backspace.  Actually I'm not really sure about the
>backspace.  My experience was always that the emulation was at fault.  Testing
>vt100 on a UNIX system using VI is the best method for testing complete
>VT100 emulation...anyways, I am sure someone will eventually post a more
>correct answer than mine.  Cheers!
>
>	Sri   (aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu)

	It sounds awfully like they have destructive backspace
set. It should be UNSET! I've never had a problem with emacs and
vt100 emulation.
	-- Ethan

	Upon leaving office, Ronald Reagan began renting an
office in the penthouse of the Fox Plaza, the Los Angeles
high-rise used as the location for the terrorist movie "Die
Hard".

cs441215@umbc5.umbc.edu (cs441215) (03/09/91)

Well, everyone was right.  I had the destructive backspace set!  Live and learn
(and feel stupid!).

I feel like someone who couldn't get a lamp to work because it wasn't plugged
in.

Thanks, all.
-Larry

jsanchez@polari.UUCP (jim sanchez) (05/25/91)

I suspect that Willy will respond to this but here it is anyway. I am
using VLT 5.034 and trying to have my script file select the extenal
protocols to use.  I have trans protocol external in my host.scp file
followed by xpr select zmodem.  When I execute the script, I get an
error message saying something to the effect that "cannot find zmodem
protocol".  I HAVE RTFM but it ain't too clear.  I'm sure it is something
trivial but ...
Thanks All
Jim Sanchez

WGLP09@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (05/29/91)

Jim -
        The line "xpr select ..." should read "xpr select xprzmodem.library".
i.e. you need to specify the entire library name. Try that...
        By the way, I'm back. If anyone posted questions about VLT between
27 april and oh, about a week ago, you will have to repost or I won't see
them...

        Willy.
Willy Langeveld - Bitnet: WGLP09 @ SLACVM - BIX: langeveld