[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] Best 2400 MNP v.42 Modem?

6600wood@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Joseph Wood) (05/30/91)

I am interested in buying a modem and was wondering if anyone had
any suggestions.  I know that modems like the zoom modem do all this
for about $170.  I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as
to price, brand, source and such.

Thank you.

ake@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) (05/31/91)

In article <11672@hub.ucsb.edu>, 6600wood@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Joseph Wood) writes:
> I am interested in buying a modem and was wondering if anyone had
> any suggestions.  I know that modems like the zoom modem do all this
> for about $170.  I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as
> to price, brand, source and such.

	About two years ago I had a friend who purchased the zoom 2400 baud
modem because it was cheaper than the Supra 2400.  He had nothing but line
noise problems.  He took that one back and purchased a Supra 2400 and didn't
have any further problems.  I know of at least ten Supra 2400 modems in use
by work, friends, and the BBS.  A few have taken lightning hits and Supra
repaired them.  It was free if within the one year warrantee period.

	I don't know about the SupraModem 2400 Plus they just announced.  We
are going to trade in out 2400 modems for the 2400 Plus models.  They provide
MNP5 & V.42.  They also come with a 5 year warranty!  Priced at $239.95, you
can't beat them.

Earle
             ____ ____    ___
Earle Ake   /___ /___/ / /     Science Applications International Corporation
           ____//   / / /__                 Dayton, Ohio
Internet: ake@dayton.saic.com        uucp: dayvb!ake         SPAN: 28284::ake

darrell@comspec.uucp (Darrell Grainger) (05/31/91)

In article <11672@hub.ucsb.edu> 6600wood@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Joseph Wood) writes:
>I am interested in buying a modem and was wondering if anyone had
>any suggestions.  I know that modems like the zoom modem do all this
>for about $170.  I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as
>to price, brand, source and such.

First, sorry for posting this public but my email seems to be bouncing
back on me (hopefully that will be resolved shortly).

 What model Zoom modem has the v.42? Is it v.42bis or the older v.42?
We sell the Zoom 2400R which does not have the error correcting. Our
distributor has not given us pricing on any other Zoom modems so I would
believe they are unaware of the error correcting version.
Are you from Canada, USA, or what? is your price of $170 in US dollars?

Thanks for any response,

| Darrell Grainger (darrell@comspec) |Comspec Communications Inc.    |
| Toronto, Ontario, Canada           |Disclaimer: My opinions do not |
|  (416)617-1475     (416)633-5605   |reflect those of my employer.  |
|------------------------------------+-------------------------------|
|      Motorcycle: Honda PC800       |      Computer:Amiga 2000      |

rohwerwd@netcom.COM (W. David Rohwer) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May30.231307.1636@dayton.saic.com> ake@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) writes:
>In article <11672@hub.ucsb.edu>, 6600wood@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Joseph Wood) writes:
>> I am interested in buying a modem and was wondering if anyone had
>> any suggestions.  I know that modems like the zoom modem do all this
>> for about $170.  I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as
>> to price, brand, source and such.
>
>	About two years ago I had a friend who purchased the zoom 2400 baud
>modem because it was cheaper than the Supra 2400.  He had nothing but line
>noise problems.  He took that one back and purchased a Supra 2400 and didn't
>have any further problems.  I know of at least ten Supra 2400 modems in use
>by work, friends, and the BBS.  A few have taken lightning hits and Supra
>repaired them.  It was free if within the one year warrantee period.

     I purchased the Zoom V.42bis modem within the last year.  It contains
MNP 1-5, V.42, and V.42bis.  I have used it pretty steadily and have not
experienced any problems with it.  I am a satisfied customer.

|        Seeking Software Engineering position.  Inquiries welcome.       |
|          Please look in misc.jobs.resumes. (BSCS + 3 Yrs. Exp.)         |
|   //  W. David Rohwer   //                                              |
| \X/       Go A's!     \X/            Internet: rohwerwd@netcom.COM      |

mis1050@desire.wright.edu (KENNETH STITH) (06/04/91)

From article <1991May30.231307.1636@dayton.saic.com>, by ake@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake):
> In article <11672@hub.ucsb.edu>, 6600wood@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Joseph Wood) writes:
>> I am interested in buying a modem and was wondering if anyone had
>> any suggestions.  I know that modems like the zoom modem do all this
>> for about $170.  I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as
>> to price, brand, source and such.
>
> 	About two years ago I had a friend who purchased the zoom 2400 baud
> modem because it was cheaper than the Supra 2400.  He had nothing but line
> noise problems.  He took that one back and purchased a Supra 2400 and didn't
> have any further problems.  I know of at least ten Supra 2400 modems in use
> by work, friends, and the BBS.  A few have taken lightning hits and Supra
> repaired them.  It was free if within the one year warrantee period.
>
> 	I don't know about the SupraModem 2400 Plus they just announced.  We
> are going to trade in out 2400 modems for the 2400 Plus models.  They provide
> MNP5 & V.42.  They also come with a 5 year warranty!  Priced at $239.95, you
> can't beat them.

I just bought the Zoom V.42bis modem a couple weeks ago for $149 and
I've had no problems with it at all.  No line noise or anything.  Also
PC magazine made the Zoom modem its Editors' Choice (from opinions I've
heard about that article I don't know how good that really is).  It only
comes with a 2 year warranty though.

				Ken
				Wright State University