[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] 9600 baud modem standards. Please assist.

maxc1553@ucselx.sdsu.edu (InnerTangent - human1) (06/05/91)

I'm a happy 2400 bauder.

I'm fasinated about 9600 baud modems.  Reasons are, more and more BBS are moving to this speed.  But, looking thru the local BBS list, there are many different
9600 baud standards.  My worries are:  If I'm to get an 9600 baud modem, which
one would be best for me.

Of course, prices are also a big consideration.  For example, I myself wouldn't
buy a modem that's more costly then a HardDrive or DeskJet.

I read in magazines about the US Robotic HST 9600 modems.  Just the name, so I
have no idea what this HST does.

I also heard about a much cheaper 9600 baud modem with a different standard then
US Robotic's HST.  Again, could you help me understand this one.

Finally, I would like your personal biased opinion.

A thousand Thanks!

--
                                                                    [unify]
   *     All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.   +

sbeagle@kennels.actrix.gen.nz (Sleeping Beagle) (06/05/91)

maxc1553@ucselx.sdsu.edu (InnerTangent - human1) writes:

> I read in magazines about the US Robotic HST 9600 modems.  Just the name, so
> have no idea what this HST does.
>
> I also heard about a much cheaper 9600 baud modem with a different standard t
> US Robotic's HST.  Again, could you help me understand this one.

Two main standards worth talking about V.32 and HST. As far as I know,
neither is particularly better.

It seems that V.32 is winning as far as I can tell.

I would get V.32   Try to get V.32bis (faster) or get V.42 (a
compression mode, like MNP5 but better.)

I too want a faster modem!

   Sleeping Beagle (aka Thomas Farmer)  sbeagle@kennels.actrix.gen.nz
   Ph. +64-4-796306 (voice)      "You ain't nothin' but a Hound Dog."
       With this much posting, I must be a Post, Post Modern Man.

bobl@graphics.rent.com (Bob Lindabury - SysAdm) (06/05/91)

maxc1553@ucselx.sdsu.edu (InnerTangent - human1) writes:

> Finally, I would like your personal biased opinion.

My totally biased opinion is that if you want a 9600 baud modem there
is only *one* standard (as standards should be) and that is V.32 and
the replacement for plain V.32, V.32bis.  If you purchase an HST now,
you will be kicking yourself within a year because HST is going to
die.

PEP is ok, but I wouldn't put my money into a PEP modem with the V.32
surge.  Do yourself a favor and get yourself a V.32 modem.  If you
really *must* have HST, then get yourself a Dual-standard (which is
total balony because HST is *NOT* a standard) which will do both HST
and V.32.

-- Bob

 The Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"
  InterNet: bobl@graphics.rent.com                | Raven Enterprises
      UUCP: ...rutgers!bobsbox!graphics!bobl      | 25 Raven Avenue
    BitNet: bobl%graphics.rent.com@pucc           | Piscataway, NJ 08854
    Home #: 908/560-7353                          | 908/271-8878

ewilts@janus.mtroyal.ab.ca (Ed Wilts) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun4.232906.9797@ucselx.sdsu.edu>, maxc1553@ucselx.sdsu.edu (InnerTangent - human1) writes:

> I'm fasinated about 9600 baud modems.  Reasons are, more and more BBS are moving to this speed.  But, looking thru the local BBS list, there are many different
> 9600 baud standards.  My worries are:  If I'm to get an 9600 baud modem, which
> one would be best for me.
>
> Of course, prices are also a big consideration.  For example, I myself wouldn't
> buy a modem that's more costly then a HardDrive or DeskJet.

I believe that the prices for good modems are still more than what you'd pay
for a DeskJet or a hard drive.

> I read in magazines about the US Robotic HST 9600 modems.  Just the name, so I
> have no idea what this HST does.

The HST uses a proprietary format to achieve its high speeds.  Therefore, it
will ONLY achieve 9600 (or 14.4Kbps) with another HST.  When connecting to a
standard V.32 modem, you will get only 2400 bps.

> I also heard about a much cheaper 9600 baud modem with a different standard then
> US Robotic's HST.  Again, could you help me understand this one.

The cheap modems typically use proprietary methods to get the high speed.  If
you plan on hopping from BBS to BBS, you want to avoid these, or you'll be
stuck with 2400 for those systems that have different modems than yours.
You don't want to be sucked into one these cheopos unless you have a dedicated
application and can ensure that compatible modems are on both ends.

> Finally, I would like your personal biased opinion.

My recommendation would be to go with the HST DUAL-STANDARD.  This modem
supports not only the proprietary HST mode that a lot of BBS operators use, but
also the standard V.32 mode, allowing it to connect with any other V.32 modem,
whether it is made by USR, Motorola, Gandalf, or anybody else.

As prices for standard modems drop, I expect that proprietary schemes will go
the way of the dodo bird.

--
        .../Ed     Preferrred:  Ed.Wilts@BSC.Galaxy.BCSystems.Gov.BC.CA
Ed Wilts            Alternate:  EdWilts@BCSC02.BITNET    (604) 389-3430

darrell@comspec.uucp (Darrell Grainger) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun4.232906.9797@ucselx.sdsu.edu> maxc1553@ucselx.sdsu.edu (InnerTangent - human1) writes:

 [stuff deleted]

>I read in magazines about the US Robotic HST 9600 modems.  Just the name, so I
>have no idea what this HST does.

 HST modems basically have a method of communicating which only other HST
modems understand. Almost like talking a different language.

>I also heard about a much cheaper 9600 baud modem with a different standard
>then US Robotic's HST.  Again, could you help me understand this one.

 The HST modems were the most common. I think this is due to the fact they
where one of the first 9600 baud modems for under $1000. They are setup to
send in one direction at 9600 (or 14400 for the current model) and 300 (or
450 for the current model). This helped to cheapen the cost of the modem
but for things like downloading protocols you don't need 9600 baud in
both directions.

 The 'standard' 2400 baud modems are often marked with CCITT v.22 or v.22bis
which is a recognized standard. The 9600 baud standard is v.32 (14400 baud
is v.32bis). In addition to how the modems transmit over the phone like there
is also standards for compressing informtion before transmission. The HSTs
started with MNP4 then went to MNP5 and finally v.42bis (there is also a
v.42). The v.42bis is the CCITT standard. Standards might not be the best
but they tend to be less costly and better/longer supported.

 The HST Dual is a modem which has HST and v.32bis/v.42bis technology. This
is the best choice but you pay much more. I'd recommend looking at which
boards are supporting HST, which are supporting v.32 (v.32bis). Anyone
supporting v.32 should be counted as v.32 as that will probably be more
popular in the future. Unless there is a board which is only HST and is a
must call BBS, I'd recommend the v.32 modems.

--
Darrell Grainger % Comspec Communications Inc., Toronto, Ontario, Canada
darrell@comspec  % Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own.

jms@vanth.UUCP (Jim Shaffer) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun4.232906.9797@ucselx.sdsu.edu> maxc1553@ucselx.sdsu.edu (InnerTangent - human1) writes:

>I also heard about a much cheaper 9600 baud modem with a different standard then
>US Robotic's HST.  Again, could you help me understand this one.

Are you talking about the CompuCom 9600 baud modem for $169?  What a crock
(IMHO)...  It's only compatible with other CompuCom modems.  They try to
convince you that it will become widely used because of the low price.	For
all I know it may, but it's got a *MAJOR* problem:  Nowhere in their
advertising could I find anything about an RS232 version!  It seems to be
available only as an ISA card!	(They also seem to have decided to throw
V.42 away in favor of a proprietary 4:1 compression protocol.  A major
transgression in itself.)

--
*  From the disk of:  | jms@vanth.uucp		     | "You know I never knew
Jim Shaffer, Jr.      | amix.commodore.com!vanth!jms | that it could be so