[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] Jr-Comm dissatisfied.

technews@iitmax.iit.edu (Kevin Kadow) (05/26/91)

I've beem having a FEW difficulties with Jr-Comm (no Kermit or Sealink
protocols, some funny problems with the screen, etc) and was wondering if
anybody could reccomend a good terminal program which can handle 9600+ baud.

On the IBM I use TELIX, and am *very* satisfied with it's performance, so I'd
like to find something approaching it in performance.

--

technews@iitmax.iit.edu                           kadokev@iitvax (bitnet)
                         My Employer Disagrees.

6600dmx@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Richard A. Boyd) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May25.201923.6276@iitmax.iit.edu> technews@iitmax.iit.edu (Kevin Kadow) writes:

>I've beem having a FEW difficulties with Jr-Comm (no Kermit or Sealink
>protocols, some funny problems with the screen, etc) and was wondering if
>anybody could reccomend a good terminal program which can handle 9600+ baud.

>On the IBM I use TELIX, and am *very* satisfied with it's performance, so I'd
>like to find something approaching it in performance.

>--

>technews@iitmax.iit.edu                           kadokev@iitvax (bitnet)
>                         My Employer Disagrees.

Try NComm 1.92.

koren@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Steve Koren) (05/31/91)

> Try NComm 1.92.

I second this recommendation.  There are a few things JrComm does
than NComm doesn't, but the reverse is true also.  I moved from JrComm
to NComm to get scripting.  NComm 1.92 supports Kermit as well as
any arbitrary external protocol you have a library for.  I use it
at 14Kbps all the time and it works like a charm.

The only big problem to me is that its ANSI/vt100 emulation is a
big weak.  (Then again, that's a problem with JrComm too).

   - steve

PS - I should point out that both of these packages are quite good;
better in fact than most of the commercial comm programs for the Ami).

Jon_Wolf@amicol.UUCP (Jon Wolf) (06/06/91)

>From: technews@iitmax.iit.edu (Kevin Kadow)
>I've beem having a FEW difficulties with Jr-Comm (no Kermit or Sealink
>protocols, some funny problems with the screen, etc) and was wondering if
>anybody could reccomend a good terminal program which can handle 9600+ baud.
>On the IBM I use TELIX, and am *very* satisfied with it's performance, so
I'd
>like to find something approaching it in performance.

I'm running BaudBandit on my Amiga. I've used some of the PeeCee shareware
comm programs. I like BaudBandit better than most of the ones on the PeeCee.
It's easy to use, has very good ARexx scripting, useful features, make good
use of the Amiga's multitasking, is pretty fast, & does work @ 9600 (fatest
I;ve used BB is 38400).
And best of all, the cost is only slightly higher then that of JRComm.

-- Via DLG Pro v0.97b

     ___               _     __  _
    (   )             ' )   /   //  /)
     __/________       / / / __|/  //
    / /  (_) /) )_    (_(_/ (_) \_//_
   (_/                           />
                                </

231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) (06/07/91)

In <Jon_Wolf.3254@amicol.UUCP> Jon_Wolf@amicol.UUCP (Jon Wolf) writes:

>>From: technews@iitmax.iit.edu (Kevin Kadow)
>>I've beem having a FEW difficulties with Jr-Comm (no Kermit or Sealink
>>protocols, some funny problems with the screen, etc) and was wondering if
>>anybody could reccomend a good terminal program which can handle 9600+ baud.
>>On the IBM I use TELIX, and am *very* satisfied with it's performance, so
>I'd
>>like to find something approaching it in performance.

Jrcomm is very very nice at speeds above 9600.  At school, I have a direct
connect 19.2k baud connection.  Jrcomm works flawlessly.  Very quick
and very fast.  One other note:  the zmodem in jrcomm has to be the fastest
out for the Amiga.  Downloading, I usually attain 1800 cps whereas my
MAC roomate is lucky to hit 1400 cps with ZTerm!  One note two:  wb1.3
doesn't allow for serial speeds of 38.4k or above, but the MACs do.
The highest my Mac friend could get with 38.4 connection and zmodem is
1730 cps, while a 19.2k jrcomm is beating it with 1860!

Give jrcomm a try.  If you've never used zmodem, get it!  It's availablr
for almost all platforms (vms, sys v, bsd and ultrix, mac, ibm, amiga, atari st,
 etc.)

Phil Dietz

---- Quote #4
                                                         Phil Dietz
    "                    "                 231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu
                  -- Invisible Man           University of Nebraska