[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] What kind of problem

kendrix_j@mims.enet.dec.com (mims::kendrix_j) (05/29/91)

>     <<< Note 5.0 by ::Kevin Kadow "technews@iitmax.iit.edu (Kevin Kadow)" >>>
>                          -< Re: Jr-Comm dissatisfied. >-
>

> I've beem having a FEW difficulties with Jr-Comm (no Kermit or Sealink
> protocols, some funny problems with the screen, etc) and was wondering if
> anybody could reccomend a good terminal program which can handle 9600+ baud.
>
> On the IBM I use TELIX, and am *very* satisfied with it's performance, so I'd
> like to find something approaching it in performance.
>
> --
>
> technews@iitmax.iit.edu                           kadokev@iitvax (bitnet)
>                          My Employer Disagrees.

Could you be a bit more descriptive as to what kind of problems you are
having??  Also how many colors are you using...

Cheers,

JK

              --==++    "CARPE DIEM - Sieze the Day!!"    ++==--

technews@iitmax.iit.edu (Kevin Kadow) (05/29/91)

In 1.02 using a 1084, the screen flickers (sort of an after-image in another
color) when the text scrolls.

Downloading from a 19.2KB board, Z-modem gets intermittent errors, while
Y-modem 1K (which generally gives less throughput) works fine...

--

tony@ais.org (Tony Poole) (06/02/91)

In article <1991May29.091005.11302@iitmax.iit.edu> technews@iitmax.iit.edu (Kevin Kadow) writes:
>In 1.02 using a 1084, the screen flickers (sort of an after-image in another
>color) when the text scrolls.
>
>Downloading from a 19.2KB board, Z-modem gets intermittent errors, while
>Y-modem 1K (which generally gives less throughput) works fine...

  Well, I've tryed every possible combination of colors/resolutions, and I
can't get JrComm to do this "screen after image flicker thing" it does
to you on my 1084.

  As far as the Zmodem errors go, have you tryed setting "Relaxed Timing"
and/or turning "overdrive" off, if on?

Tony Poole           Traverse City, MI USA           EMail:tony@irie.ais.org

cseaman@sequent.com (06/04/91)

<
<   Well, I've tryed every possible combination of colors/resolutions, and I
< can't get JrComm to do this "screen after image flicker thing" it does
< to you on my 1084.

Are you sure that this isn't the 'standard' flicker that sometimes
occurs when you scroll text on a multi-bitplane screen?  Just curious.

Regards,
Chris

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |        ///
cseaman@sequent.com <or>          |       ///        Make up your own

darrell@comspec.uucp (Darrell Grainger) (06/04/91)

In article <ATVC&K?@irie.ais.org> tony@ais.org (Tony Poole) writes:
>In article <1991May29.091005.11302@iitmax.iit.edu> technews@iitmax.iit.edu (Kevin Kadow) writes:
>>In 1.02 using a 1084, the screen flickers (sort of an after-image in another
>>color) when the text scrolls.
>>
>>Downloading from a 19.2KB board, Z-modem gets intermittent errors, while
>>Y-modem 1K (which generally gives less throughput) works fine...
>

>  Well, I've tryed every possible combination of colors/resolutions, and I
>can't get JrComm to do this "screen after image flicker thing" it does
>to you on my 1084.

 If you are using an HST or V.32 modem, have ANSI colour turned on and display
scrolling colour text the colours will scroll seperately. This happens on all
the terminal programs I have tried. If you have less colours or a smaller
variety of colours or no colour scrolling up the screen, you will not see this
effect.

>  As far as the Zmodem errors go, have you tryed setting "Relaxed Timing"
>and/or turning "overdrive" off, if on?

 I have seen no 16 colour ANSI terminal program which does not go to slow to
properly support 19200 baud. The amount of clock cycles spent updating the
display take away from the need to update the serial port 'gets'. If the
number of colours is reduced the Zmodem download will stop generating errors.
The overhead and lack of streaming in Ymodem makes it slow enough to not
generate errors.

>Tony Poole           Traverse City, MI USA           EMail:tony@irie.ais.org

Darrell Grainger % Comspec Communications Inc., Toronto, Ontario, Canada
darrell@comspec  % Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own.
(416) 617-1475   % (416) 633-5605	(416)785-3553

ewilts@janus.mtroyal.ab.ca (Ed Wilts) (06/04/91)

In article <1991Jun3.212031.24090@sequent.com>, cseaman@sequent.com writes:
> tony@ais.org (Tony Poole) writes:
> < technews@iitmax.iit.edu (Kevin Kadow) writes:
> < >In 1.02 using a 1084, the screen flickers (sort of an after-image in another
> < >color) when the text scrolls.
> <
> <   Well, I've tryed every possible combination of colors/resolutions, and I
> < can't get JrComm to do this "screen after image flicker thing" it does
> < to you on my 1084.
>
> Are you sure that this isn't the 'standard' flicker that sometimes
> occurs when you scroll text on a multi-bitplane screen?  Just curious.

If it's just the 'standard' flicker, which happens because the blitter can't
blit multiple planes at once, have a look at CPUblit.  You can get CPUblit from
either AB20 or MRCserv, and it will allow you to use the CPU instead of the
blitter for certain operations.  I find it even useful for ls which highlites
the directories as it lists them.

--
        .../Ed     Preferrred:  Ed.Wilts@BSC.Galaxy.BCSystems.Gov.BC.CA
Ed Wilts            Alternate:  EdWilts@BCSC02.BITNET    (604) 389-3430

matt@vrtwo.UUCP (Matt Buford) (06/05/91)

  writes:
>In article <1991May29.091005.11302@iitmax.iit.edu> technews@iitmax.iit.edu (Ke
>>In 1.02 using a 1084, the screen flickers (sort of an after-image in another
>>color) when the text scrolls.
>
>  Well, I've tryed every possible combination of colors/resolutions, and I
>can't get JrComm to do this "screen after image flicker thing" it does
>to you on my 1084.

The screen flickering is part of the Amiga... It is usually only on 16 color
screens, and worse with certain colors... And an accelerated Amiga shouldn't
have as much of a problem... It is caused by each bitplane being scrolled one
at a time... I believe it is documented right in the JR-Comm docs...
--
/    _ _                   \                    Sysop of:                    \

Jody.Owens@kcufgat.fidonet.org (Jody Owens) (06/07/91)

That probably is it but I have never experinced it on Ncomm 1.92

                       Jody

 * Origin: Amiga Central BBS 816-587-5360 320mbs MOKCI (1:280/304)