[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] VLT/rz

rknop@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Robert Andrew Knop) (06/05/91)

I apologize if this has been beaten to death previously.

I can get VLT to work just fine sending files from my A2000 to a unix machine.
I just type "sz filename" at the unix prompt, and VLT detects the Zmodem and
receives the file.  However, I cannot for the life of me get the transfer
working in the other direction.  I've tried just selecting "Send File" from
the Transfer menu, I've tried giving the rz command to the Unix machine
first....  Can anyone help me?

Thanks,

-Rob Knop
rknop@tybalt.caltech.edu

WGLP09@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (06/06/91)

The problem with RZ on a UNIX system and VLT/xprzmodem has been
observed before. Since I have no access to a UNIX system, I have
been unable to play with this, but it is most likely a funny interaction
between the two zmodems (RZ and xprzmodem). I have not had any problems
uploading stuff to BBS's that use a variety of ZMODEM's.

       Willy.
----------
Willy Langeveld - Bitnet: WGLP09 @ SLACVM - BIX: langeveld

ewilts@janus.mtroyal.ab.ca (Ed Wilts) (06/06/91)

In article <91156.181719WGLP09@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU>, WGLP09@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU writes:
> The problem with RZ on a UNIX system and VLT/xprzmodem has been
> observed before. Since I have no access to a UNIX system, I have
> been unable to play with this, but it is most likely a funny interaction
> between the two zmodems (RZ and xprzmodem). I have not had any problems
> uploading stuff to BBS's that use a variety of ZMODEM's.
>
>        Willy.
> ----------
> Willy Langeveld - Bitnet: WGLP09 @ SLACVM - BIX: langeveld

One thing to watch for is the possibility of the Unix system running Zmodem-90,
the latest available from Chuck Forsberg.  This version is claimed to be
compatible with Chuck's utilities (DSZ, etc), and may not work with XPRzmodem.
In fact, there have been several reports to the VMS newsgroup that the newest
Zmodem for it will not work with XPRzmodem.  Also annoying is the fact that the
VMS Zmodem-90 implementation no longer comes with sources :-(

--
        .../Ed     Preferrred:  Ed.Wilts@BSC.Galaxy.BCSystems.Gov.BC.CA
Ed Wilts            Alternate:  EdWilts@BCSC02.BITNET    (604) 389-3430

MLO@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (LORETI, Maurizio) (06/07/91)

I can confirm... I have dowloaded RZ/SZ (version April, 1991) from
WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL and I never managed file trasfers between
a VAX running VMS and VLT (although I have tried some million
different terminal settings and so on).

                           Maurizio

- Only my opinions ... --------- (programmer since 1968) --------- aka I3NOO. -
 Maurizio Loreti - University of Padova - Department of Physics - Padova, Italy
 DECnet:   VAXFPD::LORETI        i.e. 39169::LORETI
 BITNET:   LORETI@IPDINFN         or  MLO@SLACVM
 INTERNET: LORETI@PADOVA.INFN.IT  or  MLO@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU