[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] Error in DMS !

OEYO8729@TREARN.BITNET (Cem TURGAY) (06/05/91)

Hello,

I have a DMS version 1.02. Last week, I got some .dms files from
ab20.larc.nasa.gov (like Budbrain demo) and I unmashed it very well.
They work fine. (I recomend especially Budbrain)

Yesterday, I requested some others from same site. But I can't
unmash them ! (with DMS WRITE RAM:.....dms)
DMS gives an error: Info header not found. Invalid DMS archive.
                    Fatal error !
But, but their TEST and VIEW don't give any error. Test and view say
this is a DMS archive, info header at d659 and archive is OK !
But WRITE option doesn't think like TEST and VIEW !
(Names of these archs Genesis, budvscrio, crusaders.eurochart.91)

Another point, the expanded size of each archive file more than 880K !
(compressed size over 600 K.)
But VIEW says lo-track:0, hi-track:79 ! Can DMS expand it into one
floppy ? Are there more than 11 sectors ?
(notice, dms.doc says DMS doesn't process with HD.)

Any information will be helpfull. Thanks

Cem

doctorj@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeffrey W Davis) (06/05/91)

In article <91155.143734OEYO8729@TREARN.BITNET> OEYO8729@TREARN.BITNET (Cem TURGAY) writes:
>Hello,
>
>I have a DMS version 1.02. Last week, I got some .dms files from
>ab20.larc.nasa.gov (like Budbrain demo) and I unmashed it very well.
>They work fine. (I recomend especially Budbrain)
>
>Yesterday, I requested some others from same site. But I can't
>unmash them ! (with DMS WRITE RAM:.....dms)
>DMS gives an error: Info header not found. Invalid DMS archive.
>                    Fatal error !
>But, but their TEST and VIEW don't give any error. Test and view say
>this is a DMS archive, info header at d659 and archive is OK !
>But WRITE option doesn't think like TEST and VIEW !
>(Names of these archs Genesis, budvscrio, crusaders.eurochart.91)

Apparently DMS is lacking in its error handling (eg. when there is no disk
in drive 0).  I had the same problem with a friends machine.  Apparently
when there is a low memory situation, DMS 'makes up' an error.  I bet that
if you try the same archives on a machine with more memory there will be no
problem; at least that has been my experience.  I am not impressed with DMS
in the least!

>Any information will be helpfull. Thanks
>
>Cem

* Jeff Davis                * Relax! And get into    ///  *
* doctorj@en.ecn.purdue.edu * the STRESS!!!         ///   *
*                           *                   \\\///030 *
*                           * -Gigahertz!-  Amiga\XX/ 882 *
	    -=[ In Stereo Where Available ]=-

evermic@prism.cs.orst.edu (Mic Everts) (06/05/91)

I noticed the same problem when I was stuck with 512K for a short time so either
switch machines are make sure wb or any other programs are not loaded.
Maybe you could try <cntr> c'ing your way out of the startup-sequence.

-MIC

ssd@sugar.hackercorp.com (Scott Denham) (06/05/91)

In article <91155.143734OEYO8729@TREARN.BITNET>, OEYO8729@TREARN.BITNET (Cem TURGAY) writes:
> I have a DMS version 1.02. Last week, I got some .dms files from
> ab20.larc.nasa.gov (like Budbrain demo) and I unmashed it very well.
>
> DMS gives an error: Info header not found. Invalid DMS archive.
>                     Fatal error !
> But, but their TEST and VIEW don't give any error. Test and view say
> this is a DMS archive, info header at d659 and archive is OK !
> But WRITE option doesn't think like TEST and VIEW !

I just ran into the same problem on some DMS'ed files uploaded to our
club's BBS. Apparently DMS can't figure out the default low and high
tracks for these files (though it lists these values in Test and view
just fine!)  Try this syntax...
   DMS write foo.dms to df0: low 0 high 79

Seems like it should make no difference, but it worked for me!

   Scott Denham
    Club Amiga BBS
     (713)-528-7511

gwing@mullauna.cs.mu.OZ.AU (Geoff C Wing) (06/05/91)

doctorj@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Jeffrey W Davis) writes:

>In article <91155.143734OEYO8729@TREARN.BITNET> OEYO8729@TREARN.BITNET (Cem TURGAY) writes:
>>Yesterday, I requested some others from same site. But I can't
>>unmash them ! (with DMS WRITE RAM:.....dms)
>>DMS gives an error: Info header not found. Invalid DMS archive.
>>                    Fatal error !
>>But, but their TEST and VIEW don't give any error. Test and view say
>>this is a DMS archive, info header at d659 and archive is OK !
>>But WRITE option doesn't think like TEST and VIEW !
>>(Names of these archs Genesis, budvscrio, crusaders.eurochart.91)

>Apparently DMS is lacking in its error handling (eg. when there is no disk
>in drive 0).  I had the same problem with a friends machine.  Apparently
How does this drive 0 business come into it? Is this the situation that you
are trying to dearc to drive x, and there's no disk in drive x?

>when there is a low memory situation, DMS 'makes up' an error.  I bet that
>if you try the same archives on a machine with more memory there will be no
>problem; at least that has been my experience.  I am not impressed with DMS
>in the least!
>>Any information will be helpfull. Thanks
Correct. It's a low-mem situation, and if you're doing "dms write ram: ...."
then I suggest you either try to free some more mem, buy some more mem, or stop
trying to dearc to ram. Why not register with SDS to help its development and
get the window version? (but then I've heard the new Zoom's better :-)
  |static@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au|

ksk@sactoh0.sac.ca.us (Ken S. Krebs) (06/06/91)

In article <91155.143734OEYO8729@TREARN.BITNET> OEYO8729@TREARN.BITNET (Cem TURGAY) writes:
>Hello,
>
>I have a DMS version 1.02. Last week, I got some .dms files from
>ab20.larc.nasa.gov (like Budbrain demo) and I unmashed it very well.
>They work fine. (I recomend especially Budbrain)
>
>Yesterday, I requested some others from same site. But I can't
>unmash them ! (with DMS WRITE RAM:.....dms)
>DMS gives an error: Info header not found. Invalid DMS archive.
>                    Fatal error !
>But, but their TEST and VIEW don't give any error. Test and view say
>this is a DMS archive, info header at d659 and archive is OK !
>But WRITE option doesn't think like TEST and VIEW !
>(Names of these archs Genesis, budvscrio, crusaders.eurochart.91)
>
>Another point, the expanded size of each archive file more than 880K !
>(compressed size over 600 K.)
>But VIEW says lo-track:0, hi-track:79 ! Can DMS expand it into one
>floppy ? Are there more than 11 sectors ?
>(notice, dms.doc says DMS doesn't process with HD.)
>
>Any information will be helpfull. Thanks
>
>Cem

How much memory do you have?  If it's 1 meg, then you are probably
running out of RAM.  DMS requires quite a bit to unmash stuff.
Make sure you are not running anything else in the background.  The
error that you explained is exaclty what DMS says when you are out
of memory.  I dunno why...it _SHOULD_ say you are out of memory...

--
|NewOrderDepecheModeSiouxsie&TheBanshees|     ksk@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US        |
|ModernEnglishBookofLoveTheCureKraftwerk|  ..ames!pacbell!sactoh0!ksk      |

beckhaus@joan.Informatik.Uni-Dortmund.DE (frank bechhaus) (06/06/91)

(Cem TURGAY) writes:

>I have a DMS version 1.02. ...
>Yesterday, I requested some others from same site. But I can't
>unmash them ! (with DMS WRITE RAM:.....dms)
>DMS gives an error: Info header not found. Invalid DMS archive.
>                    Fatal error !
>But, but their TEST and VIEW don't give any error. Test and view say
>this is a DMS archive, info header at d659 and archive is OK !
>But WRITE option doesn't think like TEST and VIEW !

Do you use a shell ?  I've seen a similar problem recently with unmashing
an archive while running CShell 5.xx. In most cases this works without
problems, but some archives appeared to be corrupted.
After quitting the shell the same archives could be unmashed without any
difficulties.

Frank Bechhaus  |  beckhaus@joan.informatik.uni-dortmund.de  |  <>< IXOYE
         We had joy, we had fun, we had pacman for the SUN...

umueller@iiic.ethz.ch (Urban Dominik Mueller) (06/10/91)

In article <1991Jun6.083154.18043@rhrk.uni-kl.de> beckhaus@joan.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (frank bechhaus) writes:
>In article <91155.143734OEYO8729@TREARN.BITNET> OEYO8729@TREARN.BITNET
>(Cem TURGAY) writes:
>
>>[unable to unpack a .dms file]
>
>Do you use a shell ?  I've seen a similar problem recently with unmashing
>an archive while running CShell 5.xx. In most cases this works without
>problems, but some archives appeared to be corrupted.
>After quitting the shell the same archives could be unmashed without any
>difficulties.

Probably this is only a question of free memory. DMS reports unlogical
errors if it runs out of memory, and freeing the 100K used by csh
might just be enough to make DMS happy. There is a small chance that
csh does something wrong with the call of external commands, but in
that case, the unpacking should go wrong every time.

   -Dominik