[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] Worldport 9600 -> TrailBlazer

ronald@ecl014.UUCP (Ronald van Eijck) (05/25/91)

Hello out there,

I'm trying to make a connection between a Worldport 9600 modem and a
trailblazer. Without any success sofar.

This is wat happens:
The wp dials the trailblazer
the trailblazer gives it's connection sounds
the trailblazer gives a sound that goes like this beep silence beep silence
etc.
When the trailblazer stops this sequence the worldport gives a No carrier
message.

Any ideas how to solve this?

Thanx,

  |  Ronald van Eijck                  {eunet!}hp4nl!cbmnlux!ecl014!ronald  |
  |  We do the impossible at once for a miracle we need a little more time  |

gandrews@netcom.COM (Greg Andrews) (05/26/91)

In article <ronald.3650@ecl014.UUCP> ronald@ecl014.UUCP (Ronald van Eijck) writes:
>Hello out there,
>
>I'm trying to make a connection between a Worldport 9600 modem and a
>trailblazer. Without any success sofar.
>
>This is wat happens:
>The wp dials the trailblazer
>the trailblazer gives it's connection sounds
>the trailblazer gives a sound that goes like this beep silence beep silence
>etc.
>When the trailblazer stops this sequence the worldport gives a No carrier
>message.
>
>Any ideas how to solve this?

Yes, make sure the TrailBlazer has its S50 register at the value of 0
rather than 255.

Since the TrailBlazer is answering with its high-speed PEP tones first,
you'll probably need to adjust the WorldPort's S7 register to a higher
value like 60 or 90.  Also make sure your comm software will wait longer
for the connection.

--
 .------------------------------------------------------------------------.
 |  Greg Andrews   |       UUCP: {apple,amdahl,claris}!netcom!gandrews    |

ronald@ecl014.UUCP (Ronald van Eijck) (05/28/91)

In article <1991May25.173825.26747@netcom.COM> gandrews@netcom.COM (Greg Andrews) writes:

>>I'm trying to make a connection between a Worldport 9600 modem and a
>>trailblazer. Without any success sofar.
>>
>>This is wat happens:
>>The wp dials the trailblazer
>>the trailblazer gives it's connection sounds
>>the trailblazer gives a sound that goes like this beep silence beep silence
>>etc.
>>When the trailblazer stops this sequence the worldport gives a No carrier
>>message.
>>
>>Any ideas how to solve this?
>>

>Yes, make sure the TrailBlazer has its S50 register at the value of 0
>rather than 255.
>
>Since the TrailBlazer is answering with its high-speed PEP tones first,
>you'll probably need to adjust the WorldPort's S7 register to a higher
>value like 60 or 90.  Also make sure your comm software will wait longer
>for the connection.
>
> |  Greg Andrews   |       UUCP: {apple,amdahl,claris}!netcom!gandrews    |

Will this change of register S50 have any influence on the performance of
trailblazer to trailblazter communication??

The problem is that the trailblazer is a commodore network site and I'm just
a customer so I don't think they will change anything if it gives a worse
performance for other people

gandrews@netcom.COM (Greg Andrews) (05/29/91)

In article <ronald.3684@ecl014.UUCP> ronald@ecl014.UUCP (Ronald van Eijck) writes:

>>Yes, make sure the TrailBlazer has its S50 register at the value of 0
>>rather than 255.
>>

>Will this change of register S50 have any influence on the performance of
>trailblazer to trailblazer communication??
>
>The problem is that the trailblazer is a commodore network site and I'm just
>a customer so I don't think they will change anything if it gives a worse
>performance for other people

No, as long as the TrailBlazer modem has its S92 register at the
deafult value of 0, changing S50 to 0 will have no effect on those
incoming TrailBlazer calls.

If the TrailBlazer MUST have its S50=255 (forcing a PEP-only connection
and not allowing any other modems to connect), then they gave you the wrong
phone number.  If that's a TrailBlazer-only line, they should have given
you another number to call.

Remember that I'm just taking my best guess from the description in your
other article.  Since I'm not on the scene, I don't know what's happening
and I may be barking up the wrong tree...

rick@tmi.com (06/10/91)

In article <ronald.3650@ecl014.UUCP>, ronald@ecl014.UUCP (Ronald van Eijck) writes:
> Hello out there,
>
> I'm trying to make a connection between a Worldport 9600 modem and a
> trailblazer. Without any success sofar.
>
> This is wat happens:
> The wp dials the trailblazer
> the trailblazer gives it's connection sounds
> the trailblazer gives a sound that goes like this beep silence beep silence
> etc.
> When the trailblazer stops this sequence the worldport gives a No carrier
> message.
>
> Any ideas how to solve this?

A couple.  I use a T1000 (the poor man's TrailBlazer).  The beep-silence-beep
(actually, sounds more like a yak in heat) is the TrailBlazer's PEP sequence.
The TrailBlazer is attempting to establish a PEP (Paketized Ensemble Protocol)
connection and is failing.  What you should do is check the S registers in the
Telebit and make sure that the following values are set up:

    S50    0  <--- Important.  A value of 255 says PEP connections ONLY!
    S90    0
    S92    1
    S94    1

And depending on your transfer protocols used, set S111 to one of these:

    0      No special protocol support
    10     Kermit, no parity
    11     Kermit, odd parity
    12     Kermit, even parity
    13     Kermit, mark parity
    14     Kermit, space parity
    20     XMODEM/YMODEM
    30     UUCP "g"
    255    Protocol specified by the remote modem

I typically use 0 and 30.  When my modem makes a call, it selects 0 for
anything OTHER than uucp (netnews) calls, and 30 for uucp calls.  After my
outgoing calls are completed, my scripts set S111 to 255, to allow incoming
calls to determine protocol.

Oh, after finding a setting that works, don't forget to save them with an
AT&W command.

If you're still having problems, give me a shout via email at the addresses
below.  Send a phone number if you want me to call you.
--
|[- O] Rick Stevens                                                        |