[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] UNIX to Amiga file transfers

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.bc.ca (Charlie Gibbs) (06/12/91)

In article <91162.233810MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu> MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu
(Norman St. John Polevaulter) asks how to do file transfers from a
Unix system to an Amiga.

     The A1000 I'm typing this message on is here at work.  With the
flip of a homebrewed switch box, I can move it from this modem to a
line attached to our Unix box (direct connect instead of dial-in,
but what the heck, close enough for government work).  I have no
trouble sending files either way; in fact, I routinely send source
code to the Amiga so I can edit it with CygnusEd instead of using vi.

     The program I use is rz/sz/rb (take your pick, depends on how
you call it).  I use Xmodem-CRC; the "z" in rz stands for Zmodem,
but the terminal emulator I'm using (vt100 v2.9) doesn't speak it.
You should be able to find a copy of the source for rz/sz somewhere
and compile it on the Unix system; then you'll be able to use any
terminal emulator which speaks X- or Zmodem.

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.bc.ca
"And how long have you not been contradicting people?"

MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu (Norman St. John Polevaulter) (06/12/91)

How the heck to you do this?? My experience has been painful: I'm trying
to get Amiga files from a UNIX mainframe account to my Amiga 500 via an
Aprotek Minimodem-AM24 and a dial-in phone line. I've tried KERMIT. I've
gotten xmodem v3.9, compiled it, and tried to use that. I've messed with
several different terminals at this end, all to no avail. (Something along the
line seems unable to grasp the concept of a "header", and thus at the Amiga
end I'm always getting "Timeout waiting for header" "Timeout waiting for
character" or various ridiculous checksum errors.) So if some kind soul who:

A. Routinely transfers files from UNIX to Amiga like this.
B. Uses any readily available terminal. Anything on Fish disk 410 or lower
would be fine, except for VLT (the Fish release of VLT is apparently a joke
release that doesn't actually have all the files or docs or anything.)
Fish 1-410 are available at my local software dealer. Above that, I would
have to get it via telecommunications, which as I said is impossible...
C. Uses, at the UNIX end, xmodem v3.9 or anything else that can be easily
FTP'ed and compiled. (Please don't talk to me about Kermit, though.
Every time I think about Kermit I get these terrible headaches...)

To tell me EXACTLY how it's done. Assume I am completely clueless about
telecommunications; omit no steps. If you can do this task I will... Well,
I'll be extremely grateful, no question.

Someone please help me, before I give up and fling myself in front of a
bus or something...

[Your blood pressure just went up.]
//-Mark Sachs, aka mbs110@psuvm.psu.edu --//----- Remember the 1980's? ----//
// DISCLAIMER: It's NOT MY FAULT!        /AMIGA   When things were so      //
//-Kei and Yuri forced me to say it. --\X/------- uncomplicated... - ELO --//

civir1070@ucsvax.sdsu.edu (FURRY R) (06/13/91)

In article <91162.233810MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu>, MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu (Norman St. John Polevaulter) writes...
>How the heck to you do this?? My experience has been painful: I'm trying
>to get Amiga files from a UNIX mainframe account to my Amiga 500 via an
>Aprotek Minimodem-AM24 and a dial-in phone line. I've tried KERMIT. I've
>gotten xmodem v3.9, compiled it, and tried to use that. I've messed with
>several different terminals at this end, all to no avail. (Something along the
>line seems unable to grasp the concept of a "header", and thus at the Amiga
>end I'm always getting "Timeout waiting for header" "Timeout waiting for
>character" or various ridiculous checksum errors.) So if some kind soul who:

  I use JRComm to transfer files on a regular basis.  On the Amiga, select
zmodem as the protocol.  That's all there is to it on the Amiga side.
  When you call the Unix system, use the command

      sz -Zl 500 filename
           ^=lowercase L

This seems to work fairly well for me.  I get transfer rates of about
150-160 cps at 2400 baud.  Not wonderful, but good for short files,
or when I'm in dire need of something IMMEDIATELY.  Occasionally it
will stop, and keep getting TIMEOUT errors as you describe.  If this
happens, abort the transfer by clicking on the close box, and then
tell the unix to send again with the command

      sz -Zrl 500 filename

Notice the lowercase 'r' to tell it to resume the transfer, not start
anew.

If anybody else has any other suggestions, PLEASE tell me.  It would
REALLY help me also.

/ |CIVIR1070@ucsvax.sdsu.edu| Q: Is there a UNIX FORTRAN optomizer? \
\ |    Scott Ellis          | A: Yeah, "rm *.f"    _                /
/ |_________________________|                   _ // Amiga          \
\_______________________________________________\X/_________________/

In article <91162.233810MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu> MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu (Norman St. John Polevaulter) writes:
>How the heck to you do this?? [...]  I've tried KERMIT. I've gotten xmodem
>v3.9, compiled it, and tried to use that. I've messed with several different
>terminals at this end, all to no avail.

I've done transfers with Kermit, XMODEM, ZMODEM, DNET, and FTP over Ethernet
between my Amiga system and a UNIX system (DEC Ultrix), over modem, direct
line, and of course Ethernet.  Assuming you need the modem like most people,
and you can't get a basic Kermit program to work, the problem is most likely
with either your serial port settings or the UNIX machine's settings.  Most
terminal protocols like to be set up for 8 bit characters, no parity.  You
also have to make sure the UNIX machine understands this and isn't eating any
special characters during the transfer.  Kermit is a decent protocol, though
not real fast, but it has the advantage of support multifile transfers.  It
supports a text translation mode, like ftp; between UNIX and Amiga you can
set everything to binary.

If you're doing this alot, get DNET.  DNET is a server protocol that runs
between UNIX and Amiga or Amiga and Amiga.  Programs run on the UNIX system
can launch serves on the Amiga, and visa-versa.  So you "getfiles" from an
Amiga CLI, and they get fetched from the UNIX machine, without interrupting
your (possibly multiple) terminal sessions.  I think they even have a
filesystem handler that works like NFS using the DNET protocol.  The only
problem with DNET is that it takes a bit of work to set up, and you need
software on both Amiga and UNIX system; not exactly what you want if you're
trying to bring a connection up for the first time.

	"This is my mistake.  Let me make it good." -R.E.M.

efp90@ecs.soton.ac.uk (Pritchard EF) (06/13/91)

In <91162.233810MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu> MBS110@psuvm.psu.edu (Norman St. John Polevaulter) writes:

>How the heck to you do this?? My experience has been painful: I'm trying
>to get Amiga files from a UNIX mainframe account to my Amiga 500 via an
>Aprotek Minimodem-AM24 and a dial-in phone line. I've tried KERMIT...
[Painful stuff deleted]
>A. Routinely transfers files from UNIX to Amiga like this.
>B. Uses any readily available terminal. Anything on Fish disk 410 or lower
>would be fine, except for VLT (the Fish release of VLT is apparently a joke
>release that doesn't actually have all the files or docs or anything.)
>Fish 1-410 are available at my local software dealer. Above that, I would
>have to get it via telecommunications, which as I said is impossible...
>C. Uses, at the UNIX end, xmodem v3.9 or anything else that can be easily
>FTP'ed and compiled. (Please don't talk to me about Kermit, though.
>Every time I think about Kermit I get these terrible headaches...)

>To tell me EXACTLY how it's done. Assume I am completely clueless about
>telecommunications; omit no steps. If you can do this task I will... Well,
>I'll be extremely grateful, no question.

>Someone please help me, before I give up and fling myself in front of a
>bus or something...

>[Your blood pressure just went up.]
>//-Mark Sachs, aka mbs110@psuvm.psu.edu --//----- Remember the 1980's? ----//
>// DISCLAIMER: It's NOT MY FAULT!        /AMIGA   When things were so      //
>//-Kei and Yuri forced me to say it. --\X/------- uncomplicated... - ELO --//

Can't claim to use terminal software as in A.&B. but the way I always do it is
to use ftp or kermit connected to a UNIX machine from an IBM PC, and write
the file to an IBM 720k disk, and then use MSH to read off of that onto my
Amiga. It limits the size of the file you can transfer in theory, but how many
downloaded files are over 720k in size? Saves your phone bill too... still I
suppose that is what comp.sys.amiga.datacomm is about!

E.F.Pritchard.
efp90@uk.ac.soton.ecs

civir1070@ucsvax.sdsu.edu (FURRY R) (06/14/91)

In article <22390@cbmvax.commodore.com>, daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes...

>If you're doing this alot, get DNET.  DNET is a server protocol that runs
>between UNIX and Amiga or Amiga and Amiga.  Programs run on the UNIX system
>can launch serves on the Amiga, and visa-versa.  So you "getfiles" from an
>Amiga CLI, and they get fetched from the UNIX machine, without interrupting
>your (possibly multiple) terminal sessions.  I think they even have a
>filesystem handler that works like NFS using the DNET protocol.  The only
>problem with DNET is that it takes a bit of work to set up, and you need
>software on both Amiga and UNIX system; not exactly what you want if you're
>trying to bring a connection up for the first time.
>
>--
>Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Amiga 3000) "The Crew That Never Rests"
>   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: hazy     BIX: hazy
>	"This is my mistake.  Let me make it good." -R.E.M.

   Does DNET require a hard-wired connection to work?  Or at least an
error-free connection?
  If DNET works with just a regular modem, what transfer rates are we
looking at?  Better than z-modem?

dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Dale Snell) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun13.183104.20510@ucselx.sdsu.edu>
civir1070@ucsvax.sdsu.edu writes:

|   Does DNET require a hard-wired connection to work?  Or at least an
|error-free connection?

     No, and no.  DNet works fine with either modems or direct
connections.  I normally use DNet with an older 2400bps modem that
can't do MNP-4 error correction, and it works just fine.  DNet does
error correction and flow control itself.

|  If DNET works with just a regular modem, what transfer rates are we
|looking at?  Better than z-modem?

     It depends on what you're doing with it.  If you are doing file
transfers only, then it's comparable to ZModem.  If you are doing some
interactive work as well, then the files transfers will slow down.  One
of the very nice things about DNet is that you can get full speed file
transfers in both directions simultaneously, and still be able to do
interactive work in a number of open shell windows.

     Hope this helps answer some of your questions.

                                    --dds

Hark! Hark! The dogs do bark,       | Dale D. Snell       BIX:  ddsnell
The Duke is fond of kittens.        | Usenet:  dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM
He likes to turn their insides out, | C$erve:  74756.666@compuserve.COM
And use their fur for mittens!      | What's a disclaimer?

d88-skl@dront.nada.kth.se (Stellan Klebom) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun13.183104.20510@ucselx.sdsu.edu> civir1070@ucsvax.sdsu.edu writes:

>   Does DNET require a hard-wired connection to work?  Or at least an
>error-free connection?
DNET works fine over modem, and has error correction. As long as it is possible
to trasmit in both directions, DNET will work.

>  If DNET works with just a regular modem, what transfer rates are we
>looking at?  Better than z-modem?

DNET does transfers at the same rate as z-modem

        Stellan

Stellan Klebom         E-Mail: d88-skl@nada.kth.se    Mail: Snapphanevaegen 86
Phone: +46 758 132 78          meLazy@lysator.liu.se        S-175 34 JAERFAELLA