[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] Amiga networking

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (06/03/91)

In article <jwright.675828282@cfht.hawaii.edu> jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) writes:
>This is not a definitive list, and I won't even remember everything
>I've come across.  But it should be enough to get the ball rolling.
>
>First off, AS225 is great.  I will never use PCNFS in a PC while I have my
>Amiga and AS225.  With a little polish, this could get the Amiga into a lot
>of previously locked doors.  This is posted in the hopes of making a good
>thing better, and avoiding needless duplication of effort among users.

I will also agree with the statement that AS225/ethernet is an order of
magnitude better than PCNFS on a PC. If you remember my NFS diskperf
posting recently, you would have seen speeds far faster than PCs can
attain.  It has really opened some eyes around here - unfortunately,
not the ones that $count$ - yet.

Another eye opener is GfxBase's X11. Xamiga runs everything I have
thrown at it (Mathematica, the Sun non-postscript demos, Xinvaders :^),
etc). I have been using Sun's Openlook DevGuide to create X11 software
for our Suns using an a2500/20 for the X display. There a couple of
inconveniences with it as opposed to running on a Sun, but it works
quite nicely. Scroll-bar equipped remote xterms are much smoother and
faster than even Ami's own console.

Also, last Friday, an X programmer dropped by to take a look. We threw
a few more applications at it, including FrameMaker. I haven't used
FrameMaker, but he said that display rates rivaled those on the desktop
Sun's he works with (remember, this is on a 14 MHz '020). I believe he
was impressed :^) BTW, FrameMaker looked pretty darned impressive...
Wish Pagestream had all those math handling capabilities.

>* ftp may die when connecting to a site with a long welcome message

It also has a tendency to 'get' to my boot partition instead of my CWD.

>* the -t option for rloginvt (use telnet protocol and VT100 terminal emulation
>  for the remote connection) did not work in the beta version.  this seems
>  to have been eliminated from the release version.

Unfortunately, eliminating it was not the correct answer. Many telnet
connections REQUIRE at least a vt100 connection. Currently there is no
way to make a telnet connection to those machines directly from the
Amiga. (Please implement the -t telnet connection option in rloginvt).

However, there was a mention that VLT may support tcp/ip connections in
the near future. As long as telnet connections are also supported, this
will fill a definite need. Matt Dillon also mentioned (if I remember
correctly) that he had hooks ready for the tcp/ip stuff in his UUCP
software once documentation was available.

>* no print spooling yet.  I'd have a go at an LPR: device if the
>  programmer's libraries were out.

Yes... this is needed. I have a series of hacks to assist, including
'CMD' running over NFS.  Unfortunately, not all software can handle
'CMD' running over NFS, and not everyone has NFS either, I have a
couple of fairly nice Sksh scripts - enscript & lpr 'replacements' :^)
(My enscript expands tabs like the original Sun version should have)

--------------------------------
How about SMTP? This is the other stumbling block which needs to be
filled to place the machine in this environment.

--------------------------------

The short of this is that a very nice networking environment is slowly
developing on the Amiga. It is a little rough around the edges, but
most of the base capabilities are there and ready to be built upon. T

thomas@cbmvax.commodore.com (Linda Thomas) (06/04/91)

In article <3192@swrinde.nde.swri.edu> kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) writes:
> How about SMTP? This is the other stumbling block which needs to be
> filled to place the machine in this environment.

I did some smtp software for the Amiga about a month ago.  It was interfaced
through Matt Dillon's UUCP software so the Amiga could be used as an SMTP/UUCP
gateway if desired.  If there's enough interest, I'll check to see if I
can distribute it.

	-Linda
--
Linda Thomas, Commodore Amiga Test Engineering
UUCP  ...{uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!thomas or thomas@cbmvax.commodore.com

swalton@aurora.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) (06/05/91)

writes:

>>* ftp may die when connecting to a site with a long welcome message
>
>It also has a tendency to 'get' to my boot partition instead of my CWD.

This seems to be Amiga ftp's default behavior---it always starts with a
local directory of SYS:.  I've just had to get used to doing an lcd command
right away before transferring files.  So, I usually use rcp.

--
Stephen Walton, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Univ. Northridge
    "Lately it occurs to me/What a long, strange trip it's been"

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun4.212247.13115@csun.edu> swalton@aurora.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) writes:
>In article <3192@swrinde.nde.swri.edu> kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk)
>writes:
>
>>>* ftp may die when connecting to a site with a long welcome message
>>
>>It also has a tendency to 'get' to my boot partition instead of my CWD.
>>
>This seems to be Amiga ftp's default behavior---it always starts with a
>local directory of SYS:.  I've just had to get used to doing an lcd command
>right away before transferring files.  So, I usually use rcp.

Well, two things are different about this behavior than what I observed:

1) ftp wrote to my boot partition, which was a 750k OFS partition with just
enough in it to bring things up. Sys: was assigned to a FFS partition. If
your SYS: is what you boot off of, then it may be behaving the same.

2) I could lcd all I wanted, and still, a 'get' would try to write to
my boot partition, which usually didn't have enough room. I gave up
using ftp on the Amiga & now rlogin to a unix box, ftp, & then NFS copy
to the Amiga.

One more thing that is sorely missing from the tcp/ip software is not
being able to use a nameserver. I hesitated putting this one in in my
earlier posting, since C= doesn't seem to see the need in providing
this. I don't know if this is an implementation problem with the
current tcp/ip software and C= doesn't want to go to the trouble, or if
they really don't think it is necessary.

Yes, nameserver service is a NECESSITY these days. (If anyone wants to
discuss this with me, PLEASE contact me :^)

Kent Polk: Southwest Research Institute (512) 522-2882
Internet : kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
UUCP     : $ {cs.utexas.edu, gatech!petro, sun!texsun}!swrinde!kent

dhansen@amiganet.chi.il.us (Dave Hansen) (06/06/91)

Stephen Walton <swalton@aurora.csun.edu> writes:
>In article <3192@swrinde.nde.swri.edu> kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk)
>writes:
>>>* ftp may die when connecting to a site with a long welcome message
>>It also has a tendency to 'get' to my boot partition instead of my CWD.
>>
>This seems to be Amiga ftp's default behavior---it always starts with a
>local directory of SYS:.  I've just had to get used to doing an lcd command
>right away before transferring files.  So, I usually use rcp.
That is strange.  My AS225 never does an automatic local dir of SYS:.
It is poor that the default directory is always dh0:, regardless of the
current path when FTP is requested.

voice: (708)691-4747             Internet:dhansen@amiganet.chi.il.us

jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu (Jim Wright) (06/06/91)

Is it possible that the release version of AS225 is not compatible with
the 68030?  I turn on I&D caching, but do not turn on burst mode.  The
number of gurus I'm seeing has me on the verge of going back to the beta
version.  :-(

--
Jim Wright
jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu

WGLP09@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (06/07/91)

We run AS225 on lots of A3000's and a 2500/30 at SLAC and we haven't
seen any unexplained GURU's during "normal" activities (FTP, Telnet, etc.).

       Willy.
----------
Willy Langeveld - Bitnet: WGLP09 @ SLACVM - BIX: langeveld

dhansen@amiganet.chi.il.us (Dave Hansen) (06/08/91)

Jim Wright <jwright@cfht.hawaii.edu> writes -
>Is it possible that the release version of AS225 is not compatible with
>the 68030?  I turn on I&D caching, but do not turn on burst mode.  The
>number of gurus I'm seeing has me on the verge of going back to the beta
>version.  :-(

I've got the release version of AS225 running on 16 Amigas, with daily
intensive telnet and FTP (ARexx-CygnusED-FTP) to 7 non-Unix TCP/IP nodes and
my programmers have gone for at least two weeks without a single guru.  The
earlier Ameristar TCP/IP guru'd at least 5 times per day per Amiga.  All these
Amigas have A2630's, GVP 105Q (SCSI and SCSI-II), and 5-7MB of RAM.  I took
every PD program out of the startup-sequence, and have added back in only
NewPop for screen blanking.  Each system has a CanDo menu running also.
PageStream occasionally will hang things up and the Hydra systems peer-peer
AmigaNet boards lock the systems up more frequently than I'd like.  I don't
recall what I've got SetCpu set for, but make sure that you are using the
latest SetCpu (1.6?), esp. if you have A2286 BridgeBoards like my machines
have.  Also, get the latest 1.33(?) WorkBench release and install each
appropriate file from those distribution disks.  Yours is a problem I finally
solved by installing the release version over the Beta and AmeriStar versions.
You shouldn't have those problems.

Are you using GfxBase's X-Windows?  I am and Dale Luck may have had an updated
TCP/IP driver of some sort supplied with his release, I can't remember.  If
these hints don't help, try to EMail me and we'll get a dialog going and get
your problems solved.  Perhaps I should EMail you an ls of my TCP/IP directory
with sizes, that may help point out a version mismatch, if there is one.

BTW, some of the netmailers don't have a decent internet address for me, so
you may have to try a couple different ways if your mail bounces.

voice: (708)691-4747             Internet:dhansen@amiganet.chi.il.us

rob@spirits.ka.sub.org (Roland Bless) (06/15/91)

In article <22125@cbmvax.commodore.com>, Linda Thomas writes:

> I did some smtp software for the Amiga about a month ago.  It was interfaced
> through Matt Dillon's UUCP software so the Amiga could be used as an SMTP/UUCP
> gateway if desired.  If there's enough interest, I'll check to see if I
> can distribute it.

Good!
I'm interested.

Regards,