[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] Need VLT manual

WGLP09@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (06/04/91)

Actually, there *is* an E-mail address to ask for the VLT manual.
So far, I have been reluctant to post it, since I'm afraid everybody
and his grandmother will then order it because it is so easy, even if
they don't use VLT, just because the manual is free.

Convince me that I should post this address...

       Willy.

PS: No, the address is not myself... 8^)
----------
Willy Langeveld - Bitnet: WGLP09 @ SLACVM - BIX: langeveld

sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Gun Control is a firm grip) (06/04/91)

Howabout just putting it on ab20. so we can FTP it and eventually it will hit
BBS's, etc. ??? sounds good to me.

PiRho- Because its Co-Ed  . "tsroes rm `nsti ihst""enlgood rakm si amen ym"//
"Brave Sir Robin ran away. Bravely ran away away."                        //A
Macintoshes should be accelerated at 32ft/sec^2                       \\ //mig
Gun Control means using both hands                                     \X/  A

bja20850@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (B.J. Anderson) (06/04/91)

WGLP09@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU writes:

>Actually, there *is* an E-mail address to ask for the VLT manual.
[...deleted...]
>Willy Langeveld - Bitnet: WGLP09 @ SLACVM - BIX: langeveld

Perhaps you could just make the TeX code available via FTP for people to
print at their own inconvenience.

-Beej

--
I must remember to be cheerful and obedient.
I must remember to be cheerful and obedient.
I must remember to be cheerful and obedient.
mail: anderson@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu

WGLP09@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (06/04/91)

Let me clear up a misunderstanding: the VLT manual is most certainly *not*
available in electronic form. The question was whether it was a good idea
to post the electronic address where one might request a printed copy...

      Willy.
----------
Willy Langeveld - Bitnet: WGLP09 @ SLACVM - BIX: langeveld

bja20850@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (B.J. Anderson) (06/07/91)

WGLP09@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU writes:

>Let me clear up a misunderstanding: the VLT manual is most certainly *not*
>available in electronic form. The question was whether it was a good idea
>to post the electronic address where one might request a printed copy...

Your note was clear... Yet, I'm sure I wouldn't be the first one to suggest
that it be made available electronically and save you (whoever) the trouble of
dealing with all the requests.

What I hear you saying is that it's not in your (whoever's) best interest to
provide it electronically...so be it.  I'm not that concerned...I've got one of
my own already :-)

-Beej

--
I must remember to be cheerful and obedient.
I must remember to be cheerful and obedient.
I must remember to be cheerful and obedient.
mail: anderson@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu

WGLP09@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (06/07/91)

What you hear me saying may be different from what I'm saying. I'm saying
that the manual is not in human readable form, and would have to be printed
anyway. Not everybody has a printer and certainly not everybody has an
Imagen Laser printer, which is the only form it could be made available
as "one file". With some work, it could be made into a PostScript file,
but not everybody has a PostScript printer. And I'm not paid to make manuals
available over the internet either.

But since it needs to be printed, look at it this way: we're even saving you
the trouble of having to print this 114 page book.

Really, I can't believe why it is such a problem to write three lines on
a postcard to get a manual with a nice cover which otherwise is absolutely
free. Sheesh.

        Willy.
----------
Willy Langeveld - Bitnet: WGLP09 @ SLACVM - BIX: langeveld

hessu@clinet.fi (Tapio Heiskanen) (06/08/91)

bja20850@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (B.J. Anderson) writes:

>WGLP09@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU writes:

>>Let me clear up a misunderstanding: the VLT manual is most certainly *not*
>>available in electronic form. The question was whether it was a good idea
>>to post the electronic address where one might request a printed copy...

I must have missed the address to get it. Please retry or send e-mail. :-)
THANX

--
   Tapio (hessu) Heiskanen       _|_       Ferry Island Technologies
     Sarkiniementie 11 B 18      \ /      Internet: hessu@clinet.fi

berger@geocub.UUCP (Olivier Berger) (06/09/91)

>Really, I can't believe why it is such a problem to write three lines on
>a postcard to get a manual with a nice cover which otherwise is absolutely
>free. Sheesh.
>
>        Willy.
>----------
>Willy Langeveld - Bitnet: WGLP09 @ SLACVM - BIX: langeveld

Well, as you probably know, there are many Amiga Users around the
world not in the US. Please could you tell us if it's as simple as
sending a postcard for us to get the manual...
I mean, can you afford to send the manuals to Europe ?

Thanx in advance .

   //  //  //  //  //  //  //  //  //  //  //  //  //  //  //  //  //  //  //
 \X/ \X/ \X/ \X/ \X/ \X/ \X/ \X/ \X/ \X/ \X/ \X/ \X/ \X/ \X/ \X/ \X/ \X/ \X/
FROM: OLIVIER BERGER			UNIVERSITE DE BORDEAUX I
Administrator of the Bordeaux		LICENCE D'INFORMATIQUE
User Group of Scientific Students	berger@geocub.greco-prog.fr
   //  //  //  //  //  //  //  //  //  //  //  //  //  //  //  //  //  //  //
 \X/ \X/ \X/ \X/ \X/ \X/ \X/ \X/ \X/ \X/ \X/ \X/ \X/ \X/ \X/ \X/ \X/ \X/ \X/

WGLP09@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (06/15/91)

The address to request a manual (by letter or postcard - letters are usually
faster for some reason only known to postal workers) is in the doc files that
come in the VLT archive.

      Willy.

PS: I have the impression that some of my recent replies haven't arrived in
    this newsgroup. How do I find out?
----------
Willy Langeveld, BIX: langeveld, Bitnet: WGLP09 @ SLACVM

peterm@am.dsir.govt.nz (Peter McGavin) (06/17/91)

>Really, I can't believe why it is such a problem to write three lines on
>a postcard to get a manual with a nice cover which otherwise is absolutely
>free. Sheesh.
>
>        Willy.
>----------
>Willy Langeveld - Bitnet: WGLP09 @ SLACVM - BIX: langeveld

Parcels take months to get to New Zealand unless they are sent by airmail or
by courier.  By surface mail, the manual would be out of date by the time it
got here.  Airmail or courier service is expensive --- Is the manual sent
that way?

In any case, VLT is so easy to use and intuitive (thanks Willy) that I would
refer to the manual only rarely.  It would save paper and be more convenient
for me to browse the manual on the screen.  It's easier for me to search for
things that way.  I have enough books and manuals around my computer already.
--
Peter McGavin.   (srwmpnm@wnv.dsir.govt.nz  or  peterm@am.dsir.govt.nz)

WGLP09@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (06/18/91)

Sure, it is as simple as sending a postcard. VLT manuals are sent (and have
been) to all corners of the world.

       Willy.
----------
Willy Langeveld - Bitnet: WGLP09 @ SLACVM - BIX: langeveld

WGLP09@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (06/18/91)

My impression is that all SLAC publications are sent out as "letters", and
if they are sealed (and they usually are) the SLAC post office sends them
first class, and not unlikely airmail if the destination is outside the
US. I don't think it would take more than a few weeks to arrive in New
Zealand...

         Willy.
----------
Willy Langeveld - Bitnet: WGLP09 @ SLACVM - BIX: langeveld

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@yalevm.ycc.yale.edu (06/18/91)

> Well, as you probably know, there are many Amiga Users around the
> world not in the US. Please could you tell us if it's as simple as
> sending a postcard for us to get the manual...
> I mean, can you afford to send the manuals to Europe ?
>
> Thanx in advance .

To quote from the VLT Docs directory,

"You do not have to live in the US to be eligible to receive the manual."

That answer your question???

Send for it; it's a GREAT manual!

                                                --Rick Wrigley
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet