[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] Fax modem software

andrewr@ucs.adelaide.edu.au (Andrew Rutherford) (06/15/91)

PLEASE NOTE:
	This message is posted for a friend who can reand news but not post.
	Also, mail is slightly unreliable in to him, so if you can't get
	  mail to him, either post it or mail to me and I will try to get it
	  to him. Thanks all, Andrew.

---***Begin Inserted Text***---

        Yesterday I bought a Maestro XR FAX modem for my Amiga. For those who
don't know what this does, it's a 300/1200/2400 modem with v29/27 fax (to 9600)
capabilities.. So far I'm very impressed by this modem.

        My problem is this.. The software that came bundled with the modem
that handles normal communications and background fax is for an IBM.. I only
have an Amiga 500 with 1 meg ram, and it's a bit difficult to run an emulator
on that much, other problems being that I am yet to find an emulator that runs
at a reasonable speed to be able to handle 9600 baud, nor have I found one
that handles the serial port at all (this is PD I'm talking about).

        I rang a company in Sydney Australia (at great personal expense, thanks
to telecom 8-) and they told me that there was only one program that they could
find to fax from an Amiga. It doesn't multitask, has no docs, can't dial out,
and apparently doesn't work at all. But they did tell me that (apparently)
the author of GP-Term was working on a fax program for the Amiga, although they
couldn't verify this.

        Does anyone know of a PD or commercial (yes I am willing to pay a
_reasonable_ price) fax program for the Amiga currently available, or soon
to come out. Any info, prices, addresses of companys, pd disk numbers, etc
would be very much appreciated. If nobody can supply any info, then perhaps
some of the brilliant programmers out there could perhaps write something
to do the job, then contact some of the modem companies to see if they want
to sell them.

Thank You Very Much in advance..

-----> James Pickering

+---------------------------------------------+-----------------------------+
|              James Pickering                |                             |
|      jdpicker@medusa.ua.oz.au               | at an annoyingly loud volume|
|since the wonderfull people at Adelaide Uni  | Sir?" - From Black Adder    |
|don't think students deserve ftp or news post|                             |
+---------------------------------------------+-----------------------------+

---***End Inserted Text***---

Poster's Note: It's not that the student's don't _deserve_ it, it's that the
  local Department of Computer Science doesn't have much space & doesn't want
  students to have ftp access. I don't agree with the no-post, but then
  that's my personal opinion & it's why I'm posting this :-)
--
Andrew Rutherford                        andrewr@itd.adelaide.edu.au
+61 8 228 5661                  Real Programmers always confuse Christmas and

chris@genly.UUCP (Chris Hind Genly) (06/20/91)

In article <3660@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au> andrewr@ucs.adelaide.edu.au (Andrew Rutherford) writes:

>        Does anyone know of a PD or commercial (yes I am willing to pay a
>_reasonable_ price) fax program for the Amiga currently available, or soon
>to come out.  Any info, prices, addresses of companys, pd disk numbers, etc
>would be very much appreciated.

ClickFax from Black Belt Systems
Send/Receive
9600 baud fax
2400 baud data modem, MNP 5

Shipping Address:    398 Johnson Road, RR-1 Box 4272, Glasgow, MT 59230
Mailing Address:     RR1 Box 4272, Glasgow, MT, 59230
US Sales:            (800) TK-AMIGA
International Sales: (406) 367-5513
Fax:                 (406) 367-AFAX
BBS:                 (406) 367-ABBS