[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] Networking an Amiga 500 to a 3000

seguine@girtab.usc.edu (Christopher Seguine) (06/17/91)

 I picked up an A500 cheap and would like to netwrok it to my 3000...

 What is the best way to do this?

I heard of a program called DNET? Is this available for FTP anywhere?
How fast is it? What I would like to do is basically load files from
my 3000 hard drive through programs running on my 500....

Chris

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Schaumann) (06/17/91)

In article <17888@chaph.usc.edu> seguine@girtab.usc.edu (Christopher Seguine) writes:
> I picked up an A500 cheap and would like to netwrok it to my 3000...
>
> What is the best way to do this?
This really depends on what you want to do.  You can do anything from
sneakernet (manually transferring disks) to ethernet (multiple machines
connected over a dedicated hardware data line).  If you only want to
connect two machines, the best (certainly the cheapest and simplest) would
be through a null modem.  Then you can use the appropriate software to
interface the computers.

>I heard of a program called DNET? Is this available for FTP anywhere?

DNet is a set of programs by Matt Dillon.  The most recent offficial
release can be found on Fred Fish Disk #294.

>How fast is it? What I would like to do is basically load files from
>my 3000 hard drive through programs running on my 500....

Basically, DNet allows multiple virtual connections between two machines
over a single physical machine (either Amiga<->Amiga or Amiga<->Unix box).
That means you can have multiple terminals, file transfers, remote shells,
and other useful things operating over a single modem.  Naturally, to a
large extent it is as fast as your modem connection allows.  I use it over
a 2400 baud connection, and I would say that is (barely) adequate.  I think
it would really shine at rates >= 9600 baud.

I would say that this is probable the best way for you to go, at least
at first.  It's cheap: the software is free (thanks, Matt!), and the
hardware (assuming you use a null modem) can be had quite inexpensively.
It can be a bear setting it up, especially for a Amiga<->Unix box connection,
but IMHO it's worth it.  And you only have to install it once. :-)

malcolm@pandanus.ntu.edu.au (Malcolm Caldwell) (06/17/91)

Of course about the best (cheap) way to interface two amigas is the NET: device
where you connect the parallel ports of the two machines.  Should be quite a
bit faster than using a serial link.

You might like to have a serial link as well, for the other services that dnet
can give you including the remote cli.  With a serial link you can play those
multi-player games as well.
--
Malcolm Caldwell                malcolm@pandanus.ntu.edu.au
Technical Officer

hgschmie@immd4.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Henning Schmiedehausen) (06/17/91)

In <1575@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Schaumann) writes:

>In article <17888@chaph.usc.edu> seguine@girtab.usc.edu (Christopher Seguine) writes:
>> I picked up an A500 cheap and would like to netwrok it to my 3000...
>>
>> What is the best way to do this?
>This really depends on what you want to do.  You can do anything from
>sneakernet (manually transferring disks) to ethernet (multiple machines
>connected over a dedicated hardware data line).  If you only want to
>connect two machines, the best (certainly the cheapest and simplest) would
>be through a null modem.  Then you can use the appropriate software to
>interface the computers.

>>I heard of a program called DNET? Is this available for FTP anywhere?

>DNet is a set of programs by Matt Dillon.  The most recent offficial
>release can be found on Fred Fish Disk #294.

>>How fast is it? What I would like to do is basically load files from
>>my 3000 hard drive through programs running on my 500....

[...]
>a 2400 baud connection, and I would say that is (barely) adequate.  I think
>it would really shine at rates >= 9600 baud.

Hi!

I use DNet to connect my A3000 and my A1510 (Well, A500 with BIG box) and I
use the Software Brewery NET: Handler to mount the drives. It works great, but
the A500 has *BIG* trouble to keep Baudrates over 9600 Bd. With 9600, everything
works fine and with 19200... WHANGO every 2nd or so packet has checksum error.
So, 9600 is maximum. But, it's very reliable and for short programs also
fast enough. I use a 7 wire line and do 7 Wire Handshake.

	Ciao
		Henning

---
ONLY  ///    Real: Henning Schmiedehausen         | Logik? Logik und Berechen-
 __  ///     INT:  hgschmie@immd4.uni-erlangen.de | barkeit? Was ist das?
 \\\///      UUCP: henning@castle.erh.sub.org     | Kann man das essen?
  \XX/ AMIGA 3000 / 1510 -- UUCP 1.12D | Welcome to A3000. Welcome to machine.

cpdrj@marlin.jcu.edu.au (David R Jeffery) (06/18/91)

In article <MALCOLM.91Jun17104750@pandanus.ntu.edu.au> malcolm@pandanus.ntu.edu.au (Malcolm Caldwell) writes:
>Of course about the best (cheap) way to interface two amigas is the NET: device
>where you connect the parallel ports of the two machines.  Should be quite a
>bit faster than using a serial link.
>
>--
>Malcolm Caldwell                malcolm@pandanus.ntu.edu.au
>Technical Officer
>Computer Science
>Northern Territory University, Darwin Australia

I have tried using NET: (or Parnet) and I am having a problem with large
transfers, when around 800k to 1meg is transfered in either direction
that machine "seems" to lose access to the NET:, that is it just hangs
(the machine keeps working fine with other software, just hangs on
access to NET:), even when this happens I can use the other machine over
the net and transfer data (upto 1meg again) through it. Interesting
problem?

BTW I don't know of the relevance of this, but Quarterback tools says
that the "hard disk" NET: has a max transfer of 2megs (seems like the
answer), well the questions is how do I increase the limit, the
documentation does not hint at any such restriction, or shareware
registration. Any Ideas???

David Jeffery     cpdrj@marlin.jcu.edu.au       | "I'm Bart Simpson,

griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu (Danny Griffin) (06/18/91)

seguine@girtab.usc.edu (Christopher Seguine) writes:

> I picked up an A500 cheap and would like to netwrok it to my 3000...

> What is the best way to do this?

Get a copy of ParNet from a BBS or a FF disk.  This is exactly what
you want.

--
Dan Griffin
griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu

cpdrj@marlin.jcu.edu.au (David R Jeffery) writes:

>I have tried using NET: (or Parnet) and I am having a problem with large
>transfers, when around 800k to 1meg is transfered in either direction
>that machine "seems" to lose access to the NET:, that is it just hangs

Strange - I have transfered entire HD partitions using ParNet.  Are you
using the original parallel port, or a new parallel port?

--
Dan Griffin
griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu

dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun18.160822.1964@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu (Danny Griffin) writes:
>cpdrj@marlin.jcu.edu.au (David R Jeffery) writes:
>
>>I have tried using NET: (or Parnet) and I am having a problem with large
>>transfers, when around 800k to 1meg is transfered in either direction
>>that machine "seems" to lose access to the NET:, that is it just hangs
>
>Strange - I have transfered entire HD partitions using ParNet.  Are you
>using the original parallel port, or a new parallel port?
>
>--
>Dan Griffin
>griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu

    Did you connect up ALL the grounds?  Are you using a shielded cable?
    Between which types of computers is it running (e.g. A1000 to A500,
    etc, etc).

					    -Matt

--

    Matthew Dillon	    dillon@Overload.Berkeley.CA.US
    891 Regal Rd.	    uunet.uu.net!overload!dillon

cpdrj@marlin.jcu.edu.au (David R Jeffery) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun18.160822.1964@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu (Danny Griffin) writes:
>cpdrj@marlin.jcu.edu.au (David R Jeffery) writes:
>
>>I have tried using NET: (or Parnet) and I am having a problem with large
>>transfers, when around 800k to 1meg is transfered in either direction
>>that machine "seems" to lose access to the NET:, that is it just hangs
>
>Strange - I have transfered entire HD partitions using ParNet.  Are you
>using the original parallel port, or a new parallel port?
>
>--
>Dan Griffin
>griffin@frith.egr.msu.edu

I have received email in response to this problem. It appears that it is
not a problem of parnet (I love it), it was that I was using ASHELL,
when I stopped using it, no problem, I can now transfer any amount
without a hitch.

Cheers
David.