[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] BBS programs

sargon@therip.UUCP (Kevin Whittum) (06/19/91)

Hello,

   I'm planning on starting a bbs here in Michigan...  I was wondering what
good PRG are out there to use?

   I've seen Paragon, Skyline, Sterling Silver, Tag, Petra, & PCBBS... etc.

   I'm so far interested in Skyline and Paragon.  I would like to be able to
net w/ UNIX and Fidonet.  I'm planning to buy a US ROBOTICS 9600 HST/V.32
V.42bis modem and will be buying a Quantumn 105meg HD next week.  I have 5
megs of ram, 2 3.5" drives, 40meg Quantum HD...
   Which bbs do you think would be the best w/ this setup?

    ___
/e

--
sargon@therip.UUCP (Kevin Whittum)
The Realm of Interesting Paraphernalia BBS --  (Fidonet 1:228/24)

lmbailey@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Laurana Bailey) (06/20/91)

In article <BgNR41w164w@therip.UUCP> sargon@therip.UUCP (Kevin Whittum) writes:
| Hello,
|
|    I'm planning on starting a bbs here in Michigan...  I was wondering what
| good PRG are out there to use?
|
|    I've seen Paragon, Skyline, Sterling Silver, Tag, Petra, & PCBBS... etc.
|
|    I'm so far interested in Skyline and Paragon.  I would like to be able to
| net w/ UNIX and Fidonet.  I'm planning to buy a US ROBOTICS 9600 HST/V.32
| V.42bis modem and will be buying a Quantumn 105meg HD next week.  I have 5
| megs of ram, 2 3.5" drives, 40meg Quantum HD...
|    Which bbs do you think would be the best w/ this setup?

You're in luck. My boyfriend runs a Paragon BBS and has beta-tested
Skyline back when it was known as Atreides and sold by Incognito (Now
defunct).

The system he runs is called Les's Place and his name is, obviously,
Les. He still has Paragon although he is considering moving to another
package.

First, Skyline. As I said, he beta-tested some early versions and they
left a bad taste in his mouth. He hasn't looked at it recently so it
could have improved very much, but Les won't bother looking because
there were things about it he didn't care for at the time and Skypix
is a very pretty, but useless, feature.

Paragon has gone through some major ups and downs over the years. Jon
Radoff was porting it from the ST and the original author Eric Drewry.
Well, Jon sort of dropped out of sight and left owners hanging for
quite a time. Eric stepped in and bought out Jon's rights to the
software and has since been re-writing it. It will change it's name
back to what it was on the Atari ST, namely StarNet. From what we have
heard from the beta-testers Eric has done an excellent job in cleaning
up the code and getting it running faster and better than ever before.
Still, however, the first release of StarNet isn't out and Eric's been
at it since January or so. Slow development time seems to be a problem
with Paragon/StarNet which is why Les is considering another platform.

StarNet is, however, pretty good and has gotten better under Eric's
guidence. Problems are addressed when reported and Eric does work hard
at his coding. There is support of ANSI in almost every area of the
BBS except for the messages themselves though that it promised soon.
There are currently two very good ANSI based message editors that can
be dropped into the program and used in place of the normal line
editor (Which isn't the best.) Paragon/StarNet does have the widest
selection of Doors programs out for any of the BBS systems though, and
thats a big plus. (Les even writes one called Castle Dungeon which is
being ported to DLG PRO BBS and C-Net)

If you like Paragon/StarNet you may want to look into XenoLink Amiga
BBS as it has many of the same features as Paragon, some better
implemented, a faster development turn-around and will even use most
Paragon/StarNet doors programs.

DLG PRO BBS is the most expensive of the ones out, but is also very
good. It will support Fido as well as UseNet in the message bases and
doors programs can be anything you can run from the CLI.

I have heard whispers of a new BBS called FreeForm that is supposed to
blow all the others out of the water, but the author hasn't allowed
anyone to see it yet. Supposedly it will allow one to emulate ANY of
the 42 or so BBS programs out for the Amiga.

I will post some info on XenoLink and what little I have on FreeForm
in the next couple posts.

Laurana

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
|Just another lemming...        | Yet another Amiga maniac set loose   |

jma@reef.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) (06/20/91)

Paragon/Star-Net does not currently support UUCP or USENET.
However:  A) Eric Drewry is considering it from what I've heard,
and B) there is a door for Paragon that will allow users to read,
but not write, USENET messages if you also run UUCP and have
news set up on your system.

--
John  M.  Adams   --*****--   Professional Student      ///
Internet: jma@cis.ufl.edu             Genie:  vlad     ///  Only the Amiga

Tom_Conroy@tptbbs.UUCP (Tom Conroy) (06/21/91)

In a message dated Wed 19 Jun 91 04:41, (kevin Whittum) wrote:

 SW>    I'm planning on starting a bbs here in Michigan...  I was
 SW> wondering what good PRG are out there to use?

 SW>    I've seen Paragon, Skyline, Sterling Silver, Tag, Petra, &
 SW> PCBBS... etc.

You should have a look at our BBS listed below before making any decisions.

-- Via DLG Pro v0.975b

       __
      ///
 __  ///  - Tom Conroy -            UUCP: herald!telepro!tptbbs!tom_conroy
 \\\///  ----------------           FIDO: 1:140/90 (CM)
  \XX/   DLG Professional           TelePro BBS ** Multiline **
 -------------------------------    +1 306 249-2352 (14400 BPS)
 Bulletin Board Operating System    +1 306 652-2084 (2400  BPS)

billc@cryo.rain.com (William J. Coldwell) (06/22/91)

In article <Tom_Conroy.3356@tptbbs.UUCP> Tom_Conroy@tptbbs.UUCP (Tom Conroy) writes:
>In a message dated Wed 19 Jun 91 04:41, (kevin Whittum) wrote:
>
> SW>    I'm planning on starting a bbs here in Michigan...  I was
> SW> wondering what good PRG are out there to use?
>
> SW>    I've seen Paragon, Skyline, Sterling Silver, Tag, Petra, &
> SW> PCBBS... etc.
>
>You should have a look at our BBS listed below before making any decisions.
>  \XX/   DLG Professional           TelePro BBS ** Multiline **
> -------------------------------    +1 306 249-2352 (14400 BPS)
> Bulletin Board Operating System    +1 306 652-2084 (2400  BPS)

On that note, you should give BBX (Steve Tibbett's _very_ versatile BBS
program) a ring at any of the beta test sites.  BBX requires AmigaOS2.0,
and will be available very RSN.

OMX: (613) 731-3419 (way up north in Ottawa CA [and that ain't California])
NES: (503) 640-9337 (Hillsboro, Oregon)
and Cryo (Portland, OR), listed below.  All are up to v.32,V.42bis.

--
William J. Coldwell      Internet: billc@cryo.rain.com     I ZROCK!
Amiga Attitude Adjuster  UUCP: tektronix!percy!cryo!billc  3-D Pro 2.0!