[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] Jr-Comm 1.02

Jody.Owens@kcufgat.fidonet.org (Jody Owens) (06/04/91)

I posted a message a while back about some scrolling problems with Jr-comm,
when it scrolls it flickers.......is there any way to fix it???

                               Jody

 * Origin: Amiga Central BBS 816-587-5360 320mbs MOKCI (1:280/304)

consp03@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Kriston J. Rehberg) (06/06/91)

In article <676066596.2@kcufgat.fidonet>, Jody.Owens@kcufgat.fidonet.org
(Jody Owens) writes:
|>I posted a message a while back about some scrolling problems with Jr-comm,
|>when it scrolls it flickers.......is there any way to fix it???

Yup, it's called CPUBlit, and you can find it on AB20.  What it does is
take blitter operations and make the CPU do it.  However, it won't do
you any good unless you have a 68020 or better.

|>                               Jody
|>
|> * Origin: Amiga Central BBS 816-587-5360 320mbs MOKCI (1:280/304)

Kris

|Kriston J. Rehberg, Student Consultant, SUNY Binghamton Computer Services    |
|consp03@BINGSUNS.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU               +---------------------------+
|consp03@BINGVAXU.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU               |Opinions expressed here are|
|CONSP03@BINGVAXA.CC.BINGHAMTON.EDU               |my own and do not represent|
|                                                 |those of this organization |
+-----> Only Amiga makes it possible! <-----------+--------------------- ;-b -+

WGLP09@SLACVM.SLAC.STANFORD.EDU (06/07/91)

Jody -
         When you say "when it scrolls it flickers" you probably mean that
when you have it set to color mode (I don't know JrComm, so I have no idea
what its functions are) that when it scrolls, for a brief moment the
text turns a different color?
         If that is the case, there is no fix that can be made in JrComm,
or any other terminal package. The reason is that the scroll is done one
bitplane at a time, and if the text occupies two or more bitplanes (as in
colors 3, 5, 6 and 7) you see the effect of first one bitplane being scrolled
and then another.
         This may however be fixable by the following trick: there is a program
called CPUBlit, which replaces BltBitMap by a function that uses the CPU
instead. CPUBlit calculates if it is faster to do the blit with the processor
or the blitter, and if it decides to do it with the processor, then it does
the scroll from top to bottom, all bitplanes at the same time (well, more or
less). If JrComm doesn't do any funny stuff but uses the standard ScrollRaster,
and if CPUBlit is set to do blits by CPU, then the flicker is gone.
So you might want to try that. Alternatively, use only colors 1, 2 and 4,
since they only use one bitplane and therefore won't flicker.

        Willy.

rick@tmi.com (06/18/91)

In article <676066596.2@kcufgat.fidonet>, Jody.Owens@kcufgat.fidonet.org (Jody Owens) writes:
> I posted a message a while back about some scrolling problems with Jr-comm,
> when it scrolls it flickers.......is there any way to fix it???
>

>                                Jody
>
>  * Origin: Amiga Central BBS 816-587-5360 320mbs MOKCI (1:280/304)

Uh, methinks Jack uses "ScrollRaster()".  If so, then, no, you can't fix
the flicker.  That routine has to do a LOT of work, and probably what you're
seeing is the different bitplanes being scrolled (first one, then the others).
If JRComm permits, try switching to a 1 bitplane screen (monochrome, don't
you know) and see if that helps.  On a 1 bitplane screen, ScrollRaster only
has to do the one bitplane.  Shouldn't flicker then.

Then again, I could be wrong.   Nahhhhhh!  Not possible!  8-)
--
.--------------------------------------------------------------------------.
|[- O] Rick Stevens                                                        |

jprad@faatcrl.UUCP (Jack Radigan) (06/23/91)

rick@tmi.com writes:

>Uh, methinks Jack uses "ScrollRaster()".  If so, then, no, you can't fix
>the flicker.  That routine has to do a LOT of work, and probably what you're
>seeing is the different bitplanes being scrolled (first one, then the others).
>If JRComm permits, try switching to a 1 bitplane screen (monochrome, don't
>you know) and see if that helps.  On a 1 bitplane screen, ScrollRaster only
>has to do the one bitplane.  Shouldn't flicker then.

>Then again, I could be wrong.   Nahhhhhh!  Not possible!  8-)

  Wanna bet? <grin>

  ScrollRaster() is used when optimization is turned off so that it can coexist
with the Workbench screen.  When on, it uses BltBitMap().

  -jack-