[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] JrComm

t22918@ursa (Matt Ranney ) (02/03/91)

manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) writes:

>Ack!  Matt buy a memory upgrade!

I wish it was as simple as just going out and _BUYING_ some more memory.  But
the fact is, I could hardly afford my A500 system as it was on the edu.
discount.  If you want to buy me some more memory, I promise I'll never
EVER 'whine' about not having enough memory, plus, as an added bonus, I'll
be your good friend for the rest of my life.  What do you say?

>I am _tired_ of software being held back by the 512k whiners.  Jack please
>go ahead an add a few more features to JR-Comm.  For example scripting and
>a built in BBS emulator.  I would love to see a editable review buffer as
>well.  We need a _Full_ featured terminal program.  I grow tired of the
>anemic terminal software that exists for the Amiga.  I use Jr-Comm
>almost exclusively unless I really need to do some kermit transfers.

I agree that a scripting language and editable review buffer would be really
nice to have.  I wasn't suggesting that he scrap the entire project's
advancement, because it is a very nice program, but rather maybe make two
versions of it.  JRComm Jr?

--
Matt Ranney
t22918@ursa.calvin.edu

huebner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Robert E. Huebner) (02/26/91)

I need some advice from anyone who has successfully used JRComm with an
MNP5 modem to communicate with a UNIX host (specifically 4.3BSD).  My UNIX
host has the utilities: SZ, RZ, Xmodem (which includes YModem) and Kermit.
I am also running JRComm 1.01 and a Baud Bandit MNP5 modem.

The modem on the UNIX accepts a 2400/REL5 connection, but I experience
constant TIMEOUT errors when attempting any sort of transfer.  Can anyone
who has had experience with this type of communication provide guidance?

Thanks-
--
| Robert E. Huebner                   | "Death is nature's way of telling  |
| huebner@en.ecn.purdue.edu           |  you to slow down"                 |

tony@ais.org (Tony Poole) (06/22/91)

No, this isn't another message about somebody that has a problem with
JrComm and blames Jack for creating non-existent bugs.

The problem I have is with the ZModem downloads using a Unix 'sz' command.
in the current directory), I will only recieve the first file and the
other will be skipped and I return to my command prompt.

the first and last file, with the second being skipped, but usually
just the first file.

*say* "3 files requested", but I only get one of the three.

I have sat and watched what happens between files, and basically, it just
sits.  The file window that was put up by the first send disappears and
doesn't come back.  If I select menu item "Download file", it will start
recieving the second file, but this is far from auto-download, or batch
download.

It's like JrComm is missing the ZModem start signal, or whatever.

I'm using JrComm V1.02 on an Amiga 1000 w/2 drives, 1.5 Megs, and a 1200
baud modem.

Has anybody else had this/solved this problem?  I tried deselecting
"download challenge" and it had no effect.  For that matter, I've tryed
deselecting and selecting many different combinations of things, all
to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tony Poole           Traverse City, MI USA           EMail:tony@irie.ais.org

garyweir@netcom.COM (Gary Weir) (06/22/91)

In article <BG$DP5#@irie.ais.org> tony@ais.org (Tony Poole) writes:

>The problem I have is with the ZModem downloads using a Unix 'sz' command.
>in the current directory), I will only recieve the first file and the
>other will be skipped and I return to my command prompt.

>the first and last file, with the second being skipped, but usually
>just the first file.

>*say* "3 files requested", but I only get one of the three.
>
>I have sat and watched what happens between files, and basically, it just
>sits.  The file window that was put up by the first send disappears and
>doesn't come back.  If I select menu item "Download file", it will start
>recieving the second file, but this is far from auto-download, or batch
>download.
>
>Has anybody else had this/solved this problem?  I tried deselecting
>"download challenge" and it had no effect.  For that matter, I've tryed
>deselecting and selecting many different combinations of things, all
>to no avail.

This won't be of much help to you but I can let you know that I use JR-Comm
to access this Unix site and have had no problems with batch downloading,
either using "sz *" nor "sz filename1 filename2 filename3".  Sounds like
you have tried all the settings so I would assume the problem is with
the version of sz you are using on the Unix machine or the way it is set up.

I use JR-Comm 1.02 (registered) on an A500.

--
 //////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
/  garyweir@netcom.COM or {apple, amdahl, claris}!netcom!garyweir   \

sah@geech.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Tarador Dranon) (06/22/91)

   Same here!  If I send more than one file, it only does the first one.
But, sometimes it works.  Sometimes it doesn't.  It's really odd.  If any-
one figures it out, drop me a line.  Thanks.
--
Tarador Dranon =========...___...============================================
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\../\__\../\/\/\/\/\/\/\ sah@gnu.ai.mit.edu /\/\/\/\/\

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Schaumann) (06/22/91)

In article <BG$DP5#@irie.ais.org> tony@ais.org (Tony Poole) writes:
>No, this isn't another message about somebody that has a problem with
>JrComm and blames Jack for creating non-existent bugs.
>
>The problem I have is with the ZModem downloads using a Unix 'sz' command.
>in the current directory), I will only recieve the first file and the
>other will be skipped and I return to my command prompt.
>[...]
>
>I'm using JrComm V1.02 on an Amiga 1000 w/2 drives, 1.5 Megs, and a 1200
>baud modem.

I'm using JR-Comm V1.01 on an Amiga 500 w/2 drives, 1 Meg and a 2400 baud
modem, and mutliple file transfers work fine for me.  I just dropped out
of rn and typed "sz q?" (which matched 5 files), and they all got transferred
quite nicely.

It *could* be something weird with V1.02, but my guess is that's not too
likely.  If you have V1.01, try that.  Also try another term program that
has ZModem.  That should give you a good idea if it's really JR-Comm or sz.

--
Dave Schaumann	    | Notice that the word "spam" does not occur *once* in this
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\| message -- er, that is, except for that one time, you can't

goodwinm@prism.cs.orst.edu (goodwinm) (06/22/91)

In article <1590@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave Schaumann) writes:
>In article <BG$DP5#@irie.ais.org> tony@ais.org (Tony Poole) writes:
>>No, this isn't another message about somebody that has a problem with
>>JrComm and blames Jack for creating non-existent bugs.
>>
>>The problem I have is with the ZModem downloads using a Unix 'sz' command.
>>in the current directory), I will only recieve the first file and the
>>other will be skipped and I return to my command prompt.
>>[...]
>>
>>I'm using JrComm V1.02 on an Amiga 1000 w/2 drives, 1.5 Megs, and a 1200
>>baud modem.
>
>I'm using JR-Comm V1.01 on an Amiga 500 w/2 drives, 1 Meg and a 2400 baud
>modem, and mutliple file transfers work fine for me.  I just dropped out
>of rn and typed "sz q?" (which matched 5 files), and they all got transferred
>quite nicely.
>
>It *could* be something weird with V1.02, but my guess is that's not too
>likely.  If you have V1.01, try that.  Also try another term program that
>has ZModem.  That should give you a good idea if it's really JR-Comm or sz.

I have had the same thing happen to me, with both 1.01 and 1.02.  I think it
is probably a problem with sz.

>--
>Dave Schaumann	    | Notice that the word "spam" does not occur *once* in this
>/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\| message -- er, that is, except for that one time, you can't
>\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/| find "spam" in this post.  Twice.  Two times you can find
>dave@cs.arizona.edu | it, and no more.  Yes.  Two "spam"s and... oh, skip it.

| /\.--.--.                           /\ | goodwinm@prism.cs.orst.edu
| . )  )  )   o        /          _  / / | Real signatures are in cursive.
| ./  /  /   /   .--  /--.  .--. (/  \/  |
| /  /   \__/\__/\___/  (__(__(__/\__/\_ |

darrell@comspec.uucp (Darrell Grainger) (06/22/91)

In article <BG$DP5#@irie.ais.org> tony@ais.org (Tony Poole) writes:
>No, this isn't another message about somebody that has a problem with
>JrComm and blames Jack for creating non-existent bugs.
>
>The problem I have is with the ZModem downloads using a Unix 'sz' command.
>in the current directory), I will only recieve the first file and the
>other will be skipped and I return to my command prompt.

>the first and last file, with the second being skipped, but usually
>just the first file.

>*say* "3 files requested", but I only get one of the three.
>
>I have sat and watched what happens between files, and basically, it just
>sits.  The file window that was put up by the first send disappears and
>doesn't come back.  If I select menu item "Download file", it will start
>recieving the second file, but this is far from auto-download, or batch
>download.
>
>It's like JrComm is missing the ZModem start signal, or whatever.
>
>I'm using JrComm V1.02 on an Amiga 1000 w/2 drives, 1.5 Megs, and a 1200
>baud modem.
>
>Has anybody else had this/solved this problem?  I tried deselecting
>"download challenge" and it had no effect.  For that matter, I've tryed
>deselecting and selecting many different combinations of things, all
>to no avail.
>
>Any help would be appreciated.

 I don't have a solution to your problem but I do have some suggestions as
to what you could look into. I am using sz 3.11 02-26-91 from Omen Tech. and
on my Amiga I am using Atalk-III or Handshake. With these combinations I have
no problems downloading from our system. Check to see what version of sz is
on your system and if it is from Omen Technology. Just enter sz and it should
tell you.

>Tony Poole           Traverse City, MI USA           EMail:tony@irie.ais.org

Darrell Grainger % Comspec Communications Inc., Toronto, Ontario, Canada
darrell@comspec  % Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own.
(416) 617-1475   % (416) 633-5605	(416)785-3553

jprad@faatcrl.UUCP (Jack Radigan) (06/23/91)

tony@ais.org (Tony Poole) writes:

>No, this isn't another message about somebody that has a problem with
>JrComm and blames Jack for creating non-existent bugs.

>The problem I have is with the ZModem downloads using a Unix 'sz' command.
>in the current directory), I will only recieve the first file and the
>other will be skipped and I return to my command prompt.

  Granted, but this thread was started on ZMODEM upload problems from JR-Comm
to some other system.

  Your particular problem sounds like it is the sz program itself.  Which
version of the sz source was used?

  -jack-

tony@ais.org (Tony Poole) (06/23/91)

jprad@faatcrl.UUCP (Jack Radigan) writes:

>tony@ais.org (Tony Poole) writes:

>>No, this isn't another message about somebody that has a problem with
>>JrComm and blames Jack for creating non-existent bugs.

>>The problem I have is with the ZModem downloads using a Unix 'sz' command.
>>in the current directory), I will only recieve the first file and the
>>other will be skipped and I return to my command prompt.

>  Granted, but this thread was started on ZMODEM upload problems from JR-Comm
>to some other system.

Huh?  I started this thread with a fresh topic.  It wasn't a follow-up.

>  Your particular problem sounds like it is the sz program itself.  Which
>version of the sz source was used?

Well, when I type sz without any parameters, it gives me all the usual
optional parameter stuff, and then at the very bottom, prints this:

   sz 1.36i 1-24-91 for V7/BSD by Chuck Forsberg

Now, this 1.36i, if it is a version number is way smaller than the 3.11
that someone else cited as being the most recent update, but the date,
1-24-91, isn't *that* long ago.  Hmmm....

Tony Poole           Traverse City, MI USA           EMail:tony@irie.ais.org