[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] sz is buggy

231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) (06/22/91)

The problem is not with jrcomm, but with sz.

If you didn't know, sz source tries to include as many UNIX versions as
it can (like BSD, SYS V, etc.)  Before our VAX got a new system upgrade,
sz ran perfectly fine under ULTRIX 3.x.  Now with ULTRIX 4.1, sz has
the same problem as many of you-- send only one file out of a list.

I have yet to sit down and LOOK at the source.  All I know is that
SZ is the problem and not jrcomm.  You may try to get the sz source and
hack at it too if you like.

---- Quote #5
                                                         Phil Dietz
    "Phil is the man with a plan"          231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu
                     -- Confucious           University of Nebraska

tony@ais.org (Tony Poole) (06/22/91)

231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) writes:

>The problem is not with jrcomm, but with sz.

>If you didn't know, sz source tries to include as many UNIX versions as
>it can (like BSD, SYS V, etc.)  Before our VAX got a new system upgrade,
>sz ran perfectly fine under ULTRIX 3.x.  Now with ULTRIX 4.1, sz has
>the same problem as many of you-- send only one file out of a list.

>I have yet to sit down and LOOK at the source.  All I know is that
>SZ is the problem and not jrcomm.  You may try to get the sz source and
>hack at it too if you like.

Well, I could accept this explanation except for one thing....

I have talked to other people locally that use other term programs on their
Amiga and other computers with ZModem downloads, and they have no problems
with batch downloads from sz.

As I said before, I don't think this is actually a bug, just some sort of
timing problem or something.

If *anybody* using JrComm has no problem with ZModem batch downloads, *please*
send me a copy of your"jrcomm.def" file and any other file you think may be
important in this situation.

Thanks!

Tony Poole           Traverse City, MI USA           EMail:tony@irie.ais.org

honp9@menudo.uh.edu (Jason L. Tibbitts III) (06/23/91)

In article <231b3678.677569364@fergvax> 231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) writes:
>The problem is not with jrcomm, but with sz.
>
>If you didn't know, sz source tries to include as many UNIX versions as
>it can (like BSD, SYS V, etc.)  Before our VAX got a new system upgrade,
>sz ran perfectly fine under ULTRIX 3.x.  Now with ULTRIX 4.1, sz has
>the same problem as many of you-- send only one file out of a list.

SZ works fine on our Ultrix machine.  I FTP'd and brought up the latest
version without a hitch.  Here's the version string:
3.11 02-26-91 for V7/BSD by Chuck Forsberg, Omen Technology INC

I believe that I FTP'd this from Simtel20.  Check your local FTP site
list for the full address; I don't remember it.

Note that I had many problems with the version that we had before, but
that was something like 1.89; i.e. extremely old.

Good luck.

--
Jason L. Tibbitts III  | Moderator: comp.sys.amiga.reviews
"Blob Shop Programmers:| Send submissions to HONP9@menudo.uh.edu

parker@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Jeff Parker) (06/24/91)

honp9@menudo.uh.edu (Jason L. Tibbitts III) writes:

>In article <231b3678.677569364@fergvax> 231b3678@fergvax.unl.edu (Phil Dietz) writes:
>>The problem is not with jrcomm, but with sz.

I agree. I have never used jrcomm but have the exact same problem with
VLT and XPRZmodem v2.10.

>>If you didn't know, sz source tries to include as many UNIX versions as
>>it can (like BSD, SYS V, etc.)  Before our VAX got a new system upgrade,
>>sz ran perfectly fine under ULTRIX 3.x.  Now with ULTRIX 4.1, sz has
>>the same problem as many of you-- send only one file out of a list.

Once again, I agree.  My problems only appeared once we upgraded to
Ultrix 4.1.

>SZ works fine on our Ultrix machine.  I FTP'd and brought up the latest
>version without a hitch.  Here's the version string:
>3.11 02-26-91 for V7/BSD by Chuck Forsberg, Omen Technology INC

As Phil was trying to point out, it isn't just the version of sz but the
interaction of sz and Ultrix 4.1.  I have been living with it by writing
shell scripts to send the files I want one at a time or writing VLT
scripts to get the ones I want.

However, the problem doesn't show up every time, only about 70% of the
time.  Now that I know there are others out there with problems, I plan
on contacting the systems group and seeing if they know what the heck is
going on.

Maybe we can figure this one out soon.  I miss typing sz *.

Jeff P.

--
Jeffrey D. Parker                  | Men always want to be a woman's first love,
INET: parker@vela.acs.oakland.edu  |      women like to be a man's last romance.