[comp.sys.amiga.datacomm] x 25

matt@vrtwo.UUCP (Matt Buford) (06/19/91)

I'm notsure if this goes in this area but, I am looking for any info on using
X 25 packet switching on the Amiga... Can anyone help me?

Thanks!
--
.____________________________________________________________________________.
|                          |                                                 |

dhansen@amiganet.chi.il.us (Dave Hansen) (06/21/91)

>I'm notsure if this goes in this area but, I am looking for any info on using
>X 25 packet switching on the Amiga... Can anyone help me?

The only way to currently use X.25 on an Amiga is to connect the serial port
to a PAD device.  That's a Packet Assembler/Disassembler.  It's quite similar
to an ethernet port sharing adapter, except that it makes X.25 packets and
unmakes incoming X.25 packets to the serial port.  At my office, the Amigas
are connected both to the PAD and via ethernet to other computers that offer
PAD software from any terminal (which would include a telnet/rlogin
pseudoterminal).  If (when) OSI really does take off, which it should since
the DoD has spec'd that every GSA purchase has to involve the OSI model, the
Amiga would really NEED an X.25 PAD internal to the machine.  But since the
DoD and almost all other Government Service Authority systems still use
TCP/IP, both as LANs and WANs, who knows when X.25 and OSI will really make
it.  It is true that the point to point X.25 is a more efficient transmission
format than TCP/IP, TCP/IP has FTP, TFTP, UDP, SMTP, telnet, rlogin, NFS, etc.
that are lacking in the current X.25.  The telnet/rlogin equivalent on X.25 is
PAD, but no standard file transfer methods have been widely implemented.  I'm
hedging my bets, my network is ethernet LAN and X.25 WAN, but the X.25
software allows TCP/IP over X.25, so I'm fairly well covered for whatever
happens.  The IBM end of our shop is considering using Cisco-type ethernet
routers for WANs and LANS, but since I've got an ethernet besides the X.25, I
can be compatible with all of it.  The only major things that I haven't been
able to accomplish are network printers (is there a standard?) and Amiga NFS
servers (maybe someday!).

voice: (708)691-4747             Internet:dhansen@amiganet.chi.il.us

matt@vrtwo.UUCP (Matt Buford) (06/24/91)

  writes:
>>I'm notsure if this goes in this area but, I am looking for any info on using
>>X 25 packet switching on the Amiga... Can anyone help me?
>>
>The only way to currently use X.25 on an Amiga is to connect the serial port
>to a PAD device.  That's a Packet Assembler/Disassembler.  It's quite similar
>to an ethernet port sharing adapter, except that it makes X.25 packets and
>unmakes incoming X.25 packets to the serial port.  At my office, the Amigas
>are connected both to the PAD and via ethernet to other computers that offer
>PAD software from any terminal (which would include a telnet/rlogin
>pseudoterminal).  If (when) OSI really does take off, which it should since
>the DoD has spec'd that every GSA purchase has to involve the OSI model, the
>Amiga would really NEED an X.25 PAD internal to the machine.  But since the
>DoD and almost all other Government Service Authority systems still use
>TCP/IP, both as LANs and WANs, who knows when X.25 and OSI will really make
>it.  It is true that the point to point X.25 is a more efficient transmission
>format than TCP/IP, TCP/IP has FTP, TFTP, UDP, SMTP, telnet, rlogin, NFS, etc.
>that are lacking in the current X.25.  The telnet/rlogin equivalent on X.25 is
>PAD, but no standard file transfer methods have been widely implemented.  I'm
>hedging my bets, my network is ethernet LAN and X.25 WAN, but the X.25
>software allows TCP/IP over X.25, so I'm fairly well covered for whatever
>happens.  The IBM end of our shop is considering using Cisco-type ethernet
>routers for WANs and LANS, but since I've got an ethernet besides the X.25, I
>can be compatible with all of it.  The only major things that I haven't been
>able to accomplish are network printers (is there a standard?) and Amiga NFS
>servers (maybe someday!).

Well, what I would like to see is a new "x25.device" device that could be put
in the devs: directory then just used on any program that allows devides other
than serial port... Like I could set my BBS up just by telling it to use
x25.device then unit 0 for line 1, unit 1 for line 2, etc...

Hmmmm, I bought SAS/C a few days ago, maybe once I learn enough this might be
a project I'd look into doing...
--