[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Which to buy, Lattice C or SAS C?

a976@mindlink.UUCP (Ron Tarrant) (01/09/91)

> cole@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <27771.278af192@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>
>
> Org.  : University of Kansas Academic Computing Services
>
> I am looking for a C compiler.  I'm probably going to end up getting either
> Lattice C or SAS C.  Could some of you gurus please tell me your thoughts
> on these two packages?  Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Lattice C is no longer a product. It's been replaced by SAS C. It's the same
compiler, essentially, but a newer version. SAS is the parent company for
Lattice.
I'd say SAS C is what you want. :-)
-Ron

cole@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (01/10/91)

johnl@SDFSUN1.hac.com (John Lee) (01/10/91)

In article <27771.278af192@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> cole@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>I am looking for a C compiler.  I'm probably going to end up getting either
>Lattice C or SAS C.  Could some of you gurus please tell me your thoughts
>on these two packages?  Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

I have both--they're very good.  :-)  Actually, SAS C is just the later
revisions of Lattice C (starting with 5.10, I believe.)  The other
commercial Amiga C compiler is from Manx.  From what I gather, one's
perference is largely religious, especially considering the latest release
from Manx.

My personal experience:  SAS Institute, Inc. provides excellent support.
The compiler still has a few bugs, and does not create the tightest code,
but is complete with many supporting tools provided, including a very good
symbolic debugger.  The manuals could use some improvement, but are about
par for computer manuals.

I have no experience with the Manx compiler.

The crew faces deadly GURUs!  Next time on AmigaDOS: The Next Generation.
	+--------+			John Lee
	| HUGHES |
	+--------+			ARPAnet: jhlee@hac2arpa.hac.com
	Hughes Aircraft Company
The above opinions are those of the user and not of those of this machine.

nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil ( Michael S Figg) (01/10/91)

In article <27771.278af192@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, cole@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
> I am looking for a C compiler.  I'm probably going to end up getting either
> Lattice C or SAS C.  Could some of you gurus please tell me your thoughts
> on these two packages?  Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Lattice C and SAS C are for the most part one in the same. SAS is the parent
company of Lattice and had themselves written the last two Lattice versions,
v4 and v5. SAS has since taken over the responsibility for the compiler and
has come out with a new release to v5 called v5.1. V5.1 gives a workbench
interface to the compiler plus compatability/includes for v2.0 of the
Workbench. If you have the A3000 you probably want/need the v5.1, otherwise
you still probably want v5.1 but you wouldn't suffer with v5 from Lattice.

--Mike

--
 --------       o       A herd of bagels      | Michael Figg  DSAC-FSD
 --------      o o      all the wrong places  | CIS: 73777,360