[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Suggestions/Additions wanted

lkoop@pnet01.cts.com (Lamonte Koop) writes:

> Folks: I'm in the process of re-writing and smoothing Amiga Intuition
> Based Benchmarks (AIBB) v3.0, and wish to add to it. [Do not ask
> why...I don't even know]. I want suggestions for new and interesting
> (and USEFUL) Benchmark routines for system performance. The following
> are already included: DhryStone, WritePixel, A sorting test, Matrix
> manipulation, Fibonacci (stays as long as nothing better shows up), a
> dithering/aliasing graphics time test, and Savage test. This is an odd
> request, but I'm looking for original ideas, or perhaps new twists on
> old ideas. [I have room for 3-4 more tests]. Perhaps a new form of
> floating point test? [I'm including '881/'882 support in the new
> version for those who've seen earlier versions]. If you have
> suggestions, or perhaps code fragments/routines, please feel welcome
> to mail me. And to answer what you are probably saying now: Why Not?
> :^)

A fast fourier transform working on a disk data structure would be a
nice addition, with a large enough dataset, since running one acts as a
benchmark balancing cpu intense floating point operations and i/o
intense disk accesses, showing the changes from OFS to FFS, and among
the floating point mechanisms, for example, and running several will
benchmark interleaved disk file and task switching capabilities, showing
the improvements in going from fifo to elevator algorithm disk
scheduling, and of going from strict to aged multitasking, for example.

The code exists on the net by ftp for FORTRAN, and may well be around
for C as well; it is a commonly performed operation, though more often
written to be memory contained than disk interactive, the latter being
the much more interesting case for benchmarks.

Another good test would be a b-tree disk data base with a script of
transactions to be posted against existing data, since that benchmarks
generic DBMS type operations.

Kent, the man from xanth.