[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] trashing of low memory

a976@mindlink.UUCP (Ron Tarrant) (01/09/91)

> yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu writes:
>
> and it seems EVERY time CED opens a File requestor, a Vector gets "trashed"
>
> the vector is 00000078, and it gets a value of 00c6f018,
> What does this mean? What's a Low-memory-vector?
>
> C-ya..
>
> --
> yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York
> Macintosh... Proof that a Person can use a Computer all day and still
> not know ANYTHING about computers.

Which version of the req.lib library are you using? It's likely that this is
causing the problem rather than CED itself since it happens when the file
requester opens. I don't know if this was corrected in the latest version or
not, but I'll get ahold of Colin Fox, one of the co-authors of req.lib, and see
what he says.
-Ron

a976@mindlink.UUCP (Ron Tarrant) (01/09/91)

> yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu writes:
>
> and it seems EVERY time CED opens a File requestor, a Vector gets "trashed"
>
> the vector is 00000078, and it gets a value of 00c6f018,
> What does this mean? What's a Low-memory-vector?
>
> C-ya..
>
> --
> yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York
> Macintosh... Proof that a Person can use a Computer all day and still
> not know ANYTHING about computers.

I talked to one of the authors of req.lib (the file requester used in CED) and
found out it is GOMF that is causing the problem, NOT Ced.

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (01/19/91)

Well I installed the New REQ.library, and the Low vector Stoped getting
Munged up.

Seems odd tho, I'm running DW (A dir tool) and Gomf STILL complains.

Alert Error Number        $81000001
User Program Counter        Unknown
Trap or Exception table was trashed.
68000 vector at location - $00000078
was corrupted with value - $00F6CAC8

Hmmmmm.. Could POWERPACKING Programs, be causing Problems?

DW is Powerpacked.

How about a "little" program to show all the Vectors and
Track down WHAT program trashed them?

Well-- Learning more every day.

--

bytey@phoenix.pub.uu.oz.au (Chris Hames [bytey]) (01/21/91)

In <yorkw.664239104@stable.ecn.purdue.edu> yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:

>Well I installed the New REQ.library, and the Low vector Stoped getting
>Munged up.

>Seems odd tho, I'm running DW (A dir tool) and Gomf STILL complains.

>Alert Error Number        $81000001
>User Program Counter        Unknown
>Trap or Exception table was trashed.
>68000 vector at location - $00000078
>was corrupted with value - $00F6CAC8

>Hmmmmm.. Could POWERPACKING Programs, be causing Problems?
>DW is Powerpacked.

    Most cruncher/packer utilities do not reproduce the hunk setup
properly causing programs that detach from the cli to crash.  I have
heard that the commercial version of powerpacker V3.?? does do a
better job and maybe ok.

    Anyway did the new DirWork(DW) get to TAD ?  V1.22 should be around
but mail to from me at this site is unreliable to say the least!

>--
>yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York
>Macintosh... Proof that a Person can use a Computer all day and still
>not know ANYTHING about computers.

Too true.

--
Chris Hames - C/Assembler programmer | Fish: DirWork,FSDirs,VMK..|  /~\/ \
              3:633/353  (Fido)      | Commercial:  Soon...      | (  OZ  )