[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] January 1991 BADGE Meeting Announcement

My apologies if this seems like I'm bypassing "official" channels, but
SOMETHING is screwed with email and/or news.  Been trying to get this out
for 4 days now, and all seems "lost" in the net, not even a bounce.  Email
to announce@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu and to Dan at zerkle@iris.eecs.ucdavis.edu
seems to be getting misdirected, and no email is coming back to me.  Due to
the time sensitivity of this announcement I cannot wait any longer ...

--------------------

BADGE (Bay Area Amiga Developers' GroupE) will host its January 1991 meeting
at 7:30 PM in the SLAC Main Auditorium, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park (just
north (logical east) of I-280) on Thursday, Jan. 17, 1991.  Admission is free.
Everyone is welcome to attend although the meetings are oriented to the Amiga
developer community.

Opening the meeting will be Mike (Real Amigas Have Keyboard Garages) Meyer.

The featured speaker is Mike Meyer, discussing the design of ARexx
interfaces.

Identify yourself at SLAC's guard booth as a BADGE attendee and park in the
visitors' lot to the right, then walk across the driveway to the Auditorium.

For those arriving from out-of-town, Palo Alto is the nearest major city.  SLAC
is 20-30 minutes from either the San Francisco or San Jose airports.  For those
who've asked: SLAC == Stanford Linear Accelerator Center, the home of Amiga VLT
and Willy Langeveld (VLT's author and BIX's Amiga Forum Co-Moderator).

The February 1991 meeting will feature Mike Farren discussing:

	Multitasking-friendly game design techniques.

For more information, contact:

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com ]
	work: +1 (408) 985-7100 (M-F 11a-7p PST), or
	home: +1 (415) 961-5157 (M-F  9p-3a PST, and weekends)

hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Adam Hill) (01/14/91)

In article <38011@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:

>The February 1991 meeting will feature Mike Farren discussing:
>
>	Multitasking-friendly game design techniques.

    ------------------------------------^   (Huzzah!!! Huzzah!!)

    Now video tape the talk and mail it to all game houses.

  Seriously though if Mike has a set of notes I know some people that would
be interested in obtaining a copy. (paper or video tape, with a intelligeble
sound track of course!!)

--
 adam hill
 hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu                        Make Up Your Own Mind.. AMIGA!

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) (01/14/91)

In article <38011@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>BADGE (Bay Area Amiga Developers' GroupE) will host its January 1991 meeting
>at 7:30 PM in the SLAC Main Auditorium, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park (just
>north (logical east) of I-280) on Thursday, Jan. 17, 1991.  Admission is free.
>Everyone is welcome to attend although the meetings are oriented to the Amiga
>developer community.

I'm sure this is a swell meeting and all, but shouldn't you use a more limited
distribution?  I'm in Tucson, AZ, and I saw another reply from Texas.  I might
drive 100 miles if I was desperate to go to a users group meeting (that would
about take me to Phoenix), but certainly not however far it is to San Francisco
from here...

>For more information, contact:
>
>Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com ]
>	work: +1 (408) 985-7100 (M-F 11a-7p PST), or
>	home: +1 (415) 961-5157 (M-F  9p-3a PST, and weekends)

Dave Schaumann      | We've all got a mission in life, though we get into ruts;
dave@cs.arizona.edu | some are the cogs on the wheels, others just plain nuts.
						-Daffy Duck.

dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) in <667@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> writes:

+ In article <38011@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes
:
+ >BADGE (Bay Area Amiga Developers' GroupE) will host its January 1991 meeting
+ [...]
+ I'm sure this is a swell meeting and all, but shouldn't you use a more limite
+ distribution?  I'm in Tucson, AZ, and I saw another reply from Texas.  I migh
+ drive 100 miles if I was desperate to go to a users group meeting (that would
+ about take me to Phoenix), but certainly not however far it is to San
+ Francisco from here...

This question surfaces every 6 months or so.  People DO come from out-of-state
and from out-of-country to the meetings.  The announcement would have been (and
now is) in comp.sys.amiga.announce, but there were (are?) some connectivity
problems between the SF Bay Area and Davis and, as I prefixed the announcement,
the time-sensitivity necessitated my posting to this newsgroup this time.

Prior years' public explanations for the BADGE Meeting distribution seemed to
have rubbed some people the wrong way, so if you want a copy of the explanation
send me email; be forewarned there are still some email problems in and out of
PORTAL since the switch to Internet distribution earlier this month.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com ]

farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) (01/21/91)

hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Adam Hill) writes:

>In article <38011@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:

>>The February 1991 meeting will feature Mike Farren discussing:

>  Seriously though if Mike has a set of notes I know some people that would
>be interested in obtaining a copy. (paper or video tape, with a intelligeble
>sound track of course!!)

Remind me via email in March, and I'll get you a copy of any notes I make.
Video tape is unlikely (I'm sure not going to do it, although anyone else
is free to).  I will not, under ANY circumstances, make a paper tape of
my notes :-)
--
Mike Farren 				     farren@well.sf.ca.us