[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] TCP/IP FTP

hamish@waikato.ac.nz (01/16/91)

In article <1991Jan15.153348.21189@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>, yurkon@CYCVAX.NSCL.MSU.EDU writes:
> I am using TCP/IP from Commodore on my A3000.  I have a problem connecting to
> a site that is not listed in our local hosts file.  I can connect to it from
> our vax, but when I try from my Amiga I get a "network unreachable" message.
> I have used both the number and also tried adding it to the hosts file.  I am
> trying to reach ab20.larc.nasa.gov.  All the sites that are in the hosts file
> seem to be reachable.  Any Ideas?
>
> 	John

OK! Make sure that you have the netmask set correctly, and also that you are
running the routed (router daemon). If the netmask is set incorrectly, then the
software won't be able to find where to send the request for a site out of you
local domain. Also if routed is not running, and updating the routing tables,
then it won't know where to send an ip packet to be forwarded through the
gateway.

Hope this helps..

PS For the correct netmask, see you sys admin or network person.

|  Hamish Marson   <hamish@waikato.ac.nz>                                    |
|  Computer Support Person,  Computer Science Department                     |
|  University of Waikato                                                     |
|Disclaimer:  Anything said in this message is the personal opinion of the   |
|             finger hitting the keyboard & doesn't represent my employers   |
|             opinion in any way. (ie we probably don't agree)               |

martin@cbmvax.commodore.com (Martin Hunt) (01/16/91)

In article <1991Jan16.123341.2709@waikato.ac.nz> hamish@waikato.ac.nz writes:
>In article <1991Jan15.153348.21189@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>, yurkon@CYCVAX.NSCL.MSU.EDU writes:
>> I am using TCP/IP from Commodore on my A3000.  I have a problem connecting to
>> a site that is not listed in our local hosts file.  I can connect to it from
>> our vax, but when I try from my Amiga I get a "network unreachable" message.
>> I have used both the number and also tried adding it to the hosts file.  I am
>> trying to reach ab20.larc.nasa.gov.  All the sites that are in the hosts file
>> seem to be reachable.  Any Ideas?
>>
>> 	John
>
>OK! Make sure that you have the netmask set correctly, and also that you are
>running the routed (router daemon). If the netmask is set incorrectly, then the
>software won't be able to find where to send the request for a site out of you
>local domain. Also if routed is not running, and updating the routing tables,
>then it won't know where to send an ip packet to be forwarded through the
>gateway.
>
>Hope this helps..

You don't need to run routed unless your Amiga is acting as a router
for other machines.  In other words, some other computer is sending
packets to the Amiga, expecting the Amiga to forward them to the proper
network.

Martin Hunt         Commodore-Amiga          martin@cbmvax.commodore.com

"Windows 3.0 is hot because it's really fun.  It has brought some
excitement back into the PC industry" - Microsoft
I wonder who took the excitement out in the first place?

markv@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (01/18/91)

> When connecting to ab20.larc.nasa.gov, you will either have to use the
> internet number or enter the correct number in your Amiga's host table.
> The reason for this is that the current TCP/IP software does not include
> name service software.

I don't have Amiga TCP/IP, but from what I have read so far I can see
some problems.  No name server support?  That's pretty brain dead, I'm
typing on NCSA telnet which can talk to nameservers, and its free!
I've also coded nameserver support in the X.25<->Telnet gateway I
wrote.  It isn't too hard.

Another gripe about the Commodore Ethernet is you need a different card for
each protocol run at the same time.  On a lowley **single-tasking** PC
I can share an Ethernet card with several protocols via a packet driver
which demuxes packets for different handles based on the DL layer type
field (It can handle Type 2 or 802.e).  This a common supported PC
standard.  The NCSA Telnet I am running is off of a Novell file
server, and I can shell out to a LAT terminal from Telnet if I want
to, etc.

For now,

Mark Gooderum			Only...		\    Good Cheer !!!
Academic Computing Services	       ///	  \___________________________
University of Kansas		     ///  /|         __    _
Bix:	  markgood	      \\\  ///  /__| |\/| | | _   /_\  makes it
Bitnet:   MARKV@UKANVAX		\/\/  /    | |  | | |__| /   \ possible...
Internet: markv@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

In article <27975.2795d933@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> markv@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

I'll let most of this be answered (if they wish to) by the networking guys
here.

>Another gripe about the Commodore Ethernet is you need a different card for
>each protocol run at the same time.  On a lowley **single-tasking** PC
>I can share an Ethernet card with several protocols via a packet driver
>which demuxes packets for different handles based on the DL layer type
>field (It can handle Type 2 or 802.e).  This a common supported PC
>standard.  The NCSA Telnet I am running is off of a Novell file
>server, and I can shell out to a LAT terminal from Telnet if I want
>to, etc.

	Commodore has presented a design for something called SANA (Standard
Amiga Network Architecture), which should address that issue and other higher-
level ones.  More information is available in the June 1990 devcon notes.

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
The compiler runs
Like a swift-flowing river
I wait in silence.  (From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)