[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Smalltalk on the Amiga

dave@Software.Mitel.COM (David Springgay) (01/18/91)

Salutations !

   Does anyone know if there is a Smalltalk programming environment
for the Amiga?  Thanks in advance for any replies.

Dave Springgay

davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) (01/22/91)

Dave>    Does anyone know if there is a Smalltalk programming environment
Dave> for the Amiga?  Thanks in advance for any replies.

The only Smalltalk that I have seen for the Amiga is a version of Little
Smalltalk that was on early Fred Fish disks.  I believe that was version 1.0
of Little Smalltalk and there is now a 2.0 version around.  Neither implement
more than the basic Smalltalk language (no graphics or anything).
David Masterson					Consilium, Inc.
(415) 691-6311					640 Clyde Ct.
uunet!cimshop!davidm				Mtn. View, CA  94043
"If someone thinks they know what I said, then I didn't say it!"

jep@mtiame.mtia.oz (Jesper Peterson) (01/23/91)

In article <CIMSHOP!DAVIDM.91Jan21171222@uunet.UU.NET> cimshop!davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) writes:

>Dave>    Does anyone know if there is a Smalltalk programming environment
>Dave> for the Amiga?  Thanks in advance for any replies.
>
>The only Smalltalk that I have seen for the Amiga is a version of Little
>Smalltalk that was on early Fred Fish disks.  I believe that was version 1.0
>of Little Smalltalk and there is now a 2.0 version around.  Neither implement
>more than the basic Smalltalk language (no graphics or anything).

I'm working on a port of GNU Smalltalk 1.1 which follows the Smalltalk-80
standard quite closely. At the rate I'm going it won't be "finished" until
mid-year. Unfortunately I'm temporarily stymied by lack of memory. I only
have 3 Meg and this is "GNU" code (know what I mean?). This implementation,
like little-st, has no graphics support but I'll have a go that too
(probably a year away though). If anyone can do a port sooner thay are of
course welcome to do so.
I must warn that the code is quite ugly. The C code for the interpreter has
been hand-optimised, so it relies extensively on side-effects (some of them
compiler dependent).
It's a bitch to debug.

Jesper.
USEnet: jep@mtiame.mtia.oz.au            UUCP: ...!uunet!munnari!mtiame.oz!jep
[...] I had to leave out reality to keep the post clean and to the point.
            - jeremy@milton.u.washington.edu (Jeremy York) in rec.music.misc

mcr@Sandelman.OCUnix.On.Ca (Michael Richardson) (01/23/91)

>Dave>    Does anyone know if there is a Smalltalk programming environment
>Dave> for the Amiga?  Thanks in advance for any replies.
>
>The only Smalltalk that I have seen for the Amiga is a version of Little
>Smalltalk that was on early Fred Fish disks.  I believe that was version 1.0
>of Little Smalltalk and there is now a 2.0 version around.  Neither implement
>more than the basic Smalltalk language (no graphics or anything).

  You could also think about porting the GNU Smalltalk interpreter. It
currently has no graphics developement environment, but does has some
rudamentary hooks for X Windows.  I'm not familliar enough with the
insides of it to say how the arena is implemented, except that you ARE
going to need a lot of ram. I think that goes without saying when it
comes to Smalltalk. The GC algorithm is a stop and copy implementation
I believe. I'm not sure if it is incremental or not. Various tricks,
including generation GC could be used to let you determine that a page
is garbage and free it up.
  One neat idea is to use the MMU on the 3000 to catch accesses to 'Old Space'
and update them (a la Symbolics 3600) I would refer you to the 1984
ACM Symposium on Lisp and Functional Languages for lots of neat stuff.

  On another tack: We need a way to share the MMU!!!

--
   :!mcr!:            |  The postmaster never | - Pay attention only
   Michael Richardson |    resolves twice.    | to _MY_ opinions. -