[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Beginning Programmers

cleland@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Thomas Cleland) (01/14/91)

Greetings!  I'm in a position that I suspect many others are
in as well.  I have programming experience in C as well as
other languages, and plenty of user-level and OS-level Amiga
knowledge, but have only broached the surface of Amiga
programming competence.  I know next to nothing about the
contents of Amiga libraries, their recommended uses, how
to program multitasking-friendliness  (though I suspect that
this is automatic under Exec), and such Amiga specifics.
For instance, I don't know how to command graphics or open
a custom screen.

My question:  Operating on a low budget, what resources are
the absolute essentials for learning the philosophy of
Amiga C programming and the location and use of system
resources?  How much such documentation comes with, for
example, SAS C?  for what would I really need the ROM Kernel
manuals?  Once I know where to start I think I can teach
myself by practicing and hanging around this newsgroup.

Please email me your help!  Thanks in advance.

--
   //  / Thom Cleland                       / It is easier        /
  //  / tcleland@ucsd.edu                  / to get forgiveness  /

ken@cbmvax.commodore.com (Ken Farinsky - CATS) (01/15/91)

In article <15573@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cleland@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Thomas Cleland) writes:

>[Why] would I really need the ROM Kernel
>manuals?  Once I know where to start I think I can teach
>myself by practicing and hanging around this newsgroup.
>--
>Thom Cleland -- tcleland@ucsd.edu

One of the most important points in learning to program the Amiga is to
NEVER do things because they _seem_ to work.  If you find yourself saying
"If I put a 17 in this field then, magically, I get the desired result",
then you will probably break in a later version of the OS.  When you
program the machine, read the documentation.  Find the reason that things
work.  Find the supported methods.  The ROM Kernel Manuals are one place
to find such information.  The Libraries & Devices Manual gives examples
on how to use much of the system.  The Includes & Autodocs Manual gives
(in reference format) the "final word" on specific function calls.
Ken Farinsky - CATS - (215) 431-9421 - Commodore Business Machines
uucp: ken@cbmvax.commodore.com   or  ...{uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!ken
bix:  kfarinsky

dillon@overload.Berkeley.CA.US (Matthew Dillon) (01/16/91)

In article <17546@cbmvax.commodore.com> ken@cbmvax.commodore.com (Ken Farinsky - CATS) writes:
>In article <15573@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cleland@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Thomas Cleland) writes:
>>
>>[Why] would I really need the ROM Kernel
>>manuals?  Once I know where to start I think I can teach
>>myself by practicing and hanging around this newsgroup.
>>--
>>Thom Cleland -- tcleland@ucsd.edu
>
>work.	Find the supported methods.  The ROM Kernel Manuals are one place
>to find such information.  The Libraries & Devices Manual gives examples
>on how to use much of the system.  The Includes & Autodocs Manual gives
>(in reference format) the "final word" on specific function calls.
>--
>--
>Ken Farinsky - CATS - (215) 431-9421 - Commodore Business Machines
>uucp: ken@cbmvax.commodore.com   or  ...{uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!ken
>bix:  kfarinsky

    When I started programming on the Amiga back in 1985 I did not have
    the RKMs.  comp.sys.amiga (as it was called back then), was not enough.
    There is no way all the information in the RKMs can or will be
    reproduced on USENET news.	The most important information -- a
    description of each of the hundreds of library calls -- can be found
    ONLY in the RKMs and in the autodocs.

    If you do not have the money to get the RKMs, I strongly suggest you
    get the native developer's kit from commodore to get the autodocs:

	CATS
	1200 Wilson Drive
	West Chester, PA 19380
	USA

	(215)431-9100

    Include a check for $20 and request that you want the AmigaDOS V1.3
    Native Developer Update.  At least I think it is still $20.

						-Matt
--

    Matthew Dillon	    dillon@Overload.Berkeley.CA.US
    891 Regal Rd.	    uunet.uu.net!overload!dillon

clemon@lemsys.UUCP (Craig Lemon) (01/17/91)

In a message posted on 14 Jan 91 19:19:14 GMT,
ken@cbmvax.commodore.com (Ken Farinsky - CATS) wrote:
KF-C>In article <15573@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cleland@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Thomas Cleland) writes:
KF-C>>
KF-C>>[Why] would I really need the ROM Kernel
KF-C>>manuals?  Once I know where to start I think I can teach
KF-C>>myself by practicing and hanging around this newsgroup.
KF-C>>--
KF-C>>Thom Cleland -- tcleland@ucsd.edu
KF-C>
KF-C>One of the most important points in learning to program the Amiga is to
KF-C>NEVER do things because they _seem_ to work.  If you find yourself saying
KF-C>"If I put a 17 in this field then, magically, I get the desired result",
KF-C>then you will probably break in a later version of the OS.  When you
KF-C>program the machine, read the documentation.  Find the reason that things
KF-C>work.  Find the supported methods.  The ROM Kernel Manuals are one place
KF-C>to find such information.  The Libraries & Devices Manual gives examples
KF-C>on how to use much of the system.  The Includes & Autodocs Manual gives
KF-C>(in reference format) the "final word" on specific function calls.
KF-C>--
KF-C>--
KF-C>Ken Farinsky - CATS - (215) 431-9421 - Commodore Business Machines
KF-C>uucp: ken@cbmvax.commodore.com   or  ...{uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!ken
KF-C>bix:  kfarinsky

	Where can these RKM's be found?  Does CATS (what EXACTLY is CATS
anyways?) have these available?  I can't say I've seen any at dealers.
What other programmer/developer information is available through
Commodore-Amiga?

--
 Craig Lemon - Kitchener, Ontario. Amiga B2000/10--2400 bps--AmigaUUCP 1.03D
 clemon@lemsys.UUCP or lemsys!clemon@xenitec.on.ca  |

ken@cbmvax.commodore.com (Ken Farinsky - CATS) (01/24/91)

In article <5369.664168713@lemsys.UUCP> clemon@lemsys.UUCP (Craig Lemon) writes:
>	Where can these RKM's be found?  Does CATS (what EXACTLY is CATS
>anyways?) have these available?  I can't say I've seen any at dealers.
>What other programmer/developer information is available through
>Commodore-Amiga?
>--
> Craig Lemon - clemon@lemsys.UUCP

Commodore Applications and Technical Support (CATS) provides technical
support to Amiga developers.  This is provided through a number of
channels, including network suppport, phone support for commercial
developers, and technical documentation.  Some of the documentation
is available directly through CATS (see info below).  Other manuals
are available through your local book store.  You should be able to
order the following from any bookstore (if they do not stock them):

	Amiga ROM Kernel Reference Manual:  Libraries and Devices
	   Addison Wesley, Dec 1989, ISBN 0-201-18187-8
	Amiga ROM Kernel Reference Manual:  Includes and Autodocs
	   Addison Wesley, Jan 1989, ISBN 0-201-18177-0
	Amiga Hardware Reference Manual
	   Addison Wesley, Sept 1989, ISBN 0-201-18157-6

Send mail to:

	CATS-Admin
	1200 Wilson Drive
	West Chester, PA  19380

And ask for information on the developer support program.  I believe
that you can also call (215) 431-9180 and they will send you the info.

There are two developer levels, both require that you be working
on a product that you believe will make it to market.

Developer status includes a subscription to AmigaMail (our technical
newsletter), access to beta software, access to developers conferences,
and access to closed conferences on BIX.  Commercial status also
includes phone support.

	Certified Developer, $75/year, no phone support, no other
	    requirements.  $25 signup cost.

	Commercial Developer, $450/year, phone support, requires that
	    you have an existing product on the market.  $50 signup cost.

CATS also offers materials such as DevCon notes, 1.3 Developer Update,
and AmigaMail.  Prices and ordering information are available at the
above address.  Most of the CATS developer support materials are available
to non-developers, so you can get the technical information even if you
do not want to become a developer.