[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Amiga G++: maybe soon, probably later

vinsci@nic.funet.fi (Leonard Norrgard) (01/24/91)

In article <718@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> dave@cs.arizona.edu (Dave P. Schaumann) writes:
   In article <26429@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> pm0@springs.cis.ufl.edu (Patrick Martin) writes:
   > [...]
   >If I could have held off my purchase of C++ I would have.  (Especially
   >in light of the current development of G++)
   >
   >Pat

   This is the second post I've seen mentioning _G_++.  At first, I thought it
   was just a weird typo.  So what is G++?  Some sort of C++ dialect/offshoot,
   or just some marketdroid's idea of a clever name?

G++ is the Free Software Foundation's GNU C++ compiler, a close
relative to the GNU C compiler which is usually referred to as GCC.
Rather than call GNU C++ GC++, it seems they dropped the C and left
was G++.

   Or is it just a weird typo (that spreads... ;-)?

One never know; it could be a human fnger virus; whenever you try to
type C the virus causes you to write G :-).

  Regarding the porting of G++ to the Amiga, I'd like to point out
that as far as I know, nobody is currently working actively on it;
instead the group have started working on porting the next major
revision of GCC which has C++ and Objective C frontends built in.
(Ie., since that version will be ported anyway, it feels unnecessary
to do the job twice).
  If you feel you can't wait, as far as I understand what needs to be
done is make GNU ld++ behave as the Amiga port of GNU ld (work done by
Markus Wild). Other than that, it should be as easy as installing GCC
and typing make in the G++ dir. (I'm probably overlooking something).
The source to the ported ld is available on nic.funet.fi in the directory
~pub/amiga/gnu/gcc/port/Wild/

The file is:

-rw-rw-r--  1 vinsci   ftp         33912 Jan  3 05:55 ld910101.lzh

If you want to join the maillinglist of the group, send a message to
mailserv@nic.funet.fi with a contents as follows:

	Subject: whatever

	subs amiga-gcc-port My Realworld Name
	help

The line with the HELP causes a help message with a full description
of commands available, including how to unsubscribe, to be sent back
to you.

   Dave Schaumann		|  And then -- what then?  Then, future...
   dave@cs.arizona.edu	|  		-Weather Report

-- Leonard

jgay@digi.lonestar.org (john gay) (01/26/91)

From article <VINSCI.91Jan23223706@nic.nic.funet.fi>, by vinsci@nic.funet.fi (Leonard Norrgard):
>   Regarding the porting of G++ to the Amiga, I'd like to point out
> that as far as I know, nobody is currently working actively on it;
> instead the group have started working on porting the next major
> revision of GCC which has C++ and Objective C frontends built in.

I believe that you are talking about v2.0 of GCC/G++.  I was at the
FSF BOF (birds-of-a-feather) general discussion on Tuesday night
(1/22) and I believe that Len Tower (one of the originals of the FSF,
and their main sorta-publicity type person) said that GCC/G++ 2.0
on the Amiga would probably be one of the first ports.  I might even
say that it was going to be the first, but I can't really remember.
Seems like it was either the Amiga or some H-P workstations.
Since both use Moto 680xx then it is probably just a matter of how
many machines the FSF has of each and how many people are working on
the project (2-4 probably).  He would not give a release date, but
it will probably be in the next couple of months.  This is all from
memory and I wasn't paying close attention at the time.  Maybe
if someone else was there also then they could give more details.

john gay.