[comp.sys.amiga.programmer] Gadtools is fine, thank you!

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) (01/26/91)

In article <1991Jan23.204502.14895@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

>	Yes, GadTools needs updating. So? Did anyone claim it was
>finished? From what I've read in the Atlanta DevCon notes
>(admittedly outdated now) there are 11 basic gadget types and
>menu support.

Development since Atlanta has been 99% concentrated on fixing bugs
and improving compatibility.  GadTools as you are familiar with it
(plus a little bit) will stand for now.

>The notes make it clear that it
>isn't done. My only fear is that I believe gadtools.library is on
>ROM and it'll be hard to change it in the future. I hope Peter
>Cherna will come in here and correct inaccuracies.

The notes try to emphasize that GadTools was designed to be extensible.
They also discuss some of the avenues we are interested in exploring
for future revisions.  Comments about future intentions could be written
for any of our modules.   Do not let that lead you to believe that GadTools
is in any way not ready or sufficient for general use.  Do let it convince
you that GadTools has a bright future, but that it also has a bright
present.

>	-- Ethan

     Peter
--
     Peter Cherna, Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
     {uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!peter    peter@cbmvax.commodore.com